Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paul ashford/stepaside band

Options
  • 10-01-2011 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

just heard on the radio that paul died over the weekend. rest in peace paul-- as young lads you and the band gave us many a good night in the baggot, the sportsmans and the mississippi rooms.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

hmmm have been doing a bit of searching and cant find any reference to this on rte rip etc??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Has any one a link about this Stepaside were great

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

damian139 wrote: »
    just heard on the radio that paul died over the weekend. rest in peace paul-- as young lads you and the band gave us many a good night in the baggot, the sportsmans and the mississippi rooms.......
    Ronan Collins mentioned his passing on his show at about 12:15 today. He suffered a heart attack and died this morning at St Vincent's Hospital. May he Rest in Peace.
    A big loss to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sarah44

My old friend Paul.
    So sad to hear this. What a fantastic talent. Had some fantastic times in the sportsmans Inn, Merrion Inn , The Baggot.
    Rest In Peace bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Oh ...I only saw a reference to his death about 10 minutes ago and quite a shock and so sad to hear this .

I use to go see Paul and Sepaside in the Baggot and the Merrion Inn back in the 80s and had a pint with him after gigs a few times to .Then few years ago I got in touch with Paul by email asking about the album '' Sit Down and Relapse '' and replied saying it was available and sent it on to me . The result was me making several YouTube videos including these three below .

One of the original Miami showband members who also played with many other great artists from the Furey Brothers to Jerry Lee Lewis .

Thanks for the Music Paul , live Rock N Roll gigs will neve be the same

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnDKiely

There's a facebook page for your memories/condolences here:
    http://www.facebook.com/paul.ashford.musician

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Damn, there goes a fine one...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Karmann Reeves

Rip Paul. Thanks for the great music. You belong in the Irish Rock hall of fame if there was such a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭crow_eat_crow

Only heard of Paul's untimely death this morning. Saw him recently in Keily's Mount Merrion. Very sad to hear of his passing. An absolute legend. RIP Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I was completely unaware of Paul Ashford and Stepaside (more of a Dublin centred band, perhaps) until I heard a tribute to him on Radio Nova's breakfast show yesterday morning.

They played this track and I've been humming it since. Good stuff.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

RIP. A great talent.
    Loved his song 'One in Every Town' but was never able to track it down. Finally managed to hear it here http://www.rte.ie/radio1/latedate/2010-01.html , quite a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 apw99

I just heard about this last night and I'm gutted. Stepaside , the Negatives, The Sharks, Rocky Dev and all the others were momentous characters to me as a teenager starting to go to pubs like the Baggot and being completely hooked on live rock'n'roll. Paul Ashford was the focal point of that music for me. A few years ago I was having a wizz in the gents in a Blackrock Pub when I noticed he was standing beside me (having a wizz as well). I started to hum 'Zelda' and he looked at me in astonishment. We had a chat and he reckoned he remembered me sitting in the front row of the Baggot every friday with my pint of Smithwicks.
    If Grover, Adu, Fat, Nicky or any of the lads are out there raise a glass to Paul Ashford and the passing of time...
    AW

Advertisement