Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung GT-I5500 HELP!

• 10-01-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

I'm looking for some help with the Samsung GT-I5500. I'm with O2 pay as you go.

What's happening is that my phone is connecting to the internet automatically every day, this in turn is costing me €0.99 each time. I tried turning off every app that has auto updates, but to no avail.

I rang the o2 store where I bought the phone and was told to take the battery out of the phone for a second or two. This should solve the problem - it didn't.

I want to use the phone to occassionally acces the internet but why oh why is this happening. Someone help please!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Go to the Marketplace and download an app called apndroid. This is basically a toggle switch widget that you leave on your main screen and toggle on and off the cellular internet. it'll go red when its dissabled and the phone cant connect to the internet. Then green when you toggle it to use the internet.

heres some info on it,
    http://www.appbrain.com/app/apndroid/com.google.code.apndroid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

I'm pretty sure that these type of apps don't work on this phone because it's still on 2.1.

As far as I know the only way to prevent the I5500 from using mobile data is by either changing or deleting the apn.

Of course this means that if you then want to use mobile internet when you have no wifi connection, you have to set up the apn again.

Open to correction though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

big dan wrote: »

Of course this means that if you then want to use mobile internet when you have no wifi connection, you have to set up the apn again.

Open to correction though.

Thanks for that. Why would they design a phone or operating system that automatically connects to the internetone a day or multiple times a day without the users consent/imput. I want to use my phone to surf the net, not every day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Thanks for that. Why would they design a phone or operating system that automatically connects to the internetone a day or multiple times a day without the users consent/imput. I want to use my phone to surf the net, not every day though.

Its forward thinking, in most modern countries data bundles are part of monthly packages so users want to be constantly connected, in Ireland of course were left paying a euro a day to be connected! We are forging into a future of constant connection, it makes sense to be always connected, its the mobile operators lagging behind with prehistoric data charges that are the problem.

For the Samsung download an app called DataSwitch, unlike apndroid it will work with the 2.1 version on your phone, I have it on the Galaxy S and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

draffodx wrote: »
    Its forward thinking, in most modern countries data bundles are part of monthly packages so users want to be constantly connected, in Ireland of course were left paying a euro a day to be connected!

For the Samsung download and app called DataSwitch, unlike apndroid it will work with the 2.1 version on your phone, I have it on the Galaxy S and it works perfectly.

Cheers for that draffodx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭living

draffodx wrote: »
    Its forward thinking, in most modern countries data bundles are part of monthly packages so users want to be constantly connected, in Ireland of course were left paying a euro a day to be connected! We are forging into a future of constant connection, it makes sense to be always connected, its the mobile operators lagging behind with prehistoric data charges that are the problem.

For the Samsung download an app called DataSwitch, unlike apndroid it will work with the 2.1 version on your phone, I have it on the Galaxy S and it works perfectly.

I have installed APNdroid in my phone (Android 2.1) and it works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

If that app recommended doesnt work for you then have you made sure the GPS is off? this was catching me out for over a week before i figured it out, i dont have the APN App but i have GPS off and background data off and i have no problems with credit being used when i dont want it to be.

Is the APN a safe app? i have seen a good few reviews from people saying that they use it, it does the job and stops the internet, but if they turn back on 3G doesnt work right anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

Just tried apndroid on my better half's I5500, and works grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

APNdroid works on 2.1 and 2.2, I have it on SGS. AFAIK it works by renaming one of the settings so it no longer works. If you are going to stop using the app make sure that data is active before removing it, or you'll have to go into the APN settings and reset a couple things. easily done though and pretty obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Thanks for confirming its fine to use, just saw some bad reviews, il use this, saves me knocking everything off!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

living wrote: »
    I have installed APNdroid in my phone (Android 2.1) and it works perfectly.

I was just going by previous comments, I have never used APNdroid

Advertisement