Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will site show in Search Engines

Options
  • 10-01-2011 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I am just wondering how long does it usually take for a site to show in Search Engines? There was a site set live around 17th December, and when I run a search for the site URL so far it is not showing on Google or MSN, even though I submitted the URL to Google via their web tool...

It is now showing on Yahoo but towards the end of the first page and doesn't seem to have any description data.

It has the relevant Meta data etc on the pages...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Meta tags are largely ignored.

You should have been listed in Google already. They actually give a higher honeymoon rank to new sites until they can give the site a proper look. Sounds like you've done something wrong or 'not quite right'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

meta tags are important for keyword searches. Also the type of content on the site will depend on how well SE's rank it. Not to mention the volume of traffic that is being pulled to the site.

Your best bet is to enable google analytics on the domain as well so you can track the site traffic, it also helps with indexing. Make sure you have a current, valid sitemap as well as this is one of the key things that SE's look for.

Once you build some valid, gneuine link backs as well this will also help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lego_Head

tricky D wrote: »
    Meta tags are largely ignored.

You should have been listed in Google already. They actually give a higher honeymoon rank to new sites until they can give the site a proper look. Sounds like you've done something wrong or 'not quite right'.

Thanks for the reply...

I thought that I should have been listed already, the site is in CSS, has relevant meta description and keywords (I know Google don't rank keywords but others do), I have Google Analytics on the site also which is working fine...One thing that the site lacks is external links.

But I presume all of these features are more to do with obtaining a higher search ranking once on there, but not to be showing at all when the exact URL is entered is strange no?

Any idea of what I could have done wrong or not quite right?

I have tried searching about the problem and I did read that it can be the case that sometimes Google etc can take a few weeks to crawl the site? Although it has been 3 weeks already...

innovated wrote: »
    meta tags are important for keyword searches.

Alas, not any more. They were abused so much with keyword spamming that most crawlers/spiders have ignored them for about 10 years. http://searchenginewatch.com/2167931 nearly half way down.

However it is still worth doing them as it helps with on-page keyword selection. 250 characters max and no more than 3 repitions per keyword including stems oin the meta tag.

Lego_Head wrote: »

I have tried searching about the problem and I did read that it can be the case that sometimes Google etc can take a few weeks to crawl the site? Although it has been 3 weeks already...

Would have to see the site to tell.

Google gives a basic crawl within a few days and gives a honeymoon ranking which is usually higher than the final ranking which is done after a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Thanks for the reply...

I thought that I should have been listed already, the site is in CSS, has relevant meta description and keywords (I know Google don't rank keywords but others do), I have Google Analytics on the site also which is working fine...One thing that the site lacks is external links.

But I presume all of these features are more to do with obtaining a higher search ranking once on there, but not to be showing at all when the exact URL is entered is strange no?

They don't rank meta description either - that's for the users' benefit.

Reputable links in to your site help a lot. Have you searched for your domain name?

cormee wrote: »
    They don't rank meta description either - that's for the users' benefit.

Reputable links in to your site help a lot. Have you searched for your domain name?

The domain name is all I am searching for...but it only appears on Yahoo, and at the bottom of the first page, which is strange in that you would imagine it would be top in a search of the domain name...

No sign of it on Google/MSN etc

The site should still show without links no? At the moment there are no links to the site which I am sure is not helping...what about adding links from the client area page of the site to client websites?

That's strange. I've had a site indexed about 45mins after submitting it but I had links from about 8 or 9 sites going to it which probably helped. So if you know anyone with a reputable site that's regularly spidered see if you can get a link from them.

Hrmmm strange indeed and quite annoying!

It is a new site and so I am afraid that I don't have any links to the site (or know anyone who could add it) but I have added some outgoing links to see if that might help.

Thanks for taking the time to post on this...

Well you could put a link to it in your signature here - it's permitted and there doesn't seem to be a rel="nofollow" on external links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

... but I have added some outgoing links to see if that might help.
    It could help with discoverability (e.g. let the SE know the domain exists), but it won't give it much help with crawling or indexing. Keep working on building up backlinks from trusted sites and it may resolve the problem (you say you don't know anyone, but you can get the ball rolling yourself - check out this forum for lots of guidance on blog commenting/PR releases/etc.).

Have you checked in Google Webmaster Tools to see if there are any crawl issues on the site? Or other identified problems?

Another problem could be the history of the domain. Have you checked a 'whois' on the domain to see its history? (previous registrations, transfers, etc.) Or on the 'waybackmachine' to see if the site was previously doing anything 'questionable'? (if so, submitting a resubmission request outlining the change in ownership and that the site is now 'legit' can solve the issues - takes about 2-3 weeks, or more)

Have you checked in Google Webmaster Tools to see if there are any crawl issues on the site? Or other identified problems?

Another problem could be the history of the domain. Have you checked a 'whois' on the domain to see its history? (previous registrations, transfers, etc.) Or on the 'waybackmachine' to see if the site was previously doing anything 'questionable'? (if so, submitting a resubmission request outlining the change in ownership and that the site is now 'legit' can solve the issues - takes about 2-3 weeks, or more)

The domain name is new so I don't believe there are any history issues...Webmaster tools doesn't seem to be picking it up either, but I only added it yesterday so it may not have located it yet...

Thanks for the advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Can you post the domain here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 adrenaline

You could get listed within a day if you link it to for example google profile.

Advertisement