Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gunns cheaper than online retailers

• 10-01-2011 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

I'm heading into Gunns tomorrow to pick up a d7000 and I'm just off the phone with them. They are selling just the body for €1150 which is €50 cheaper than Amazon.co.uk or €25 cheaper than www.onestop-digital.com.

That's like the first time I've ever seen a bricks and mortar shop selling for cheaper than online.

Fair play!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Good stuff, I'd love one of those babies myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

Its 150 quid cheaper than berminghams aswell!

I only wish Gunns would get a better website sorted out. Its a bit of a trek for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

Its great to hear someone is happy and getting good value from a shop at home and supporting Irish jobs, instead of sending their money abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I think a lot more people would do, if the shops here didn't offer such pitiful amounts for used gear, even in mint condition. Because of that people will opt to sell on sites like adverts or ebay, and then while online start checking prices for new or used gear in the same places. AT least when you deal in used gear you're still keeping the money over here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'd love to go into a shop and walk out with some shiny new gear and I would even be willing to pay a small premium for it, but the prices in most bricks and mortars are normally astronomical. I know theres lots of reasons for this but money is money and I'm going to save by going with the cheaper option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I'd love to go into a shop and walk out with some shiny new gear and I would even be willing to pay a small premium for it, but the prices in most bricks and mortars are normally astronomical. I know theres lots of reasons for this but money is money and I'm going to save by going with the cheaper option.

Shop around before you go anywhere though. I'm glad I just happened to ring them and save myself a few bob and I'll just be able to have it there and then.

A pleasant surprise!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you allow for VAT and customs duty in the case of your items being impounded on arriving in the country, and more peace of mind in case of an issue with what you've bought, you'll find the gap shrinks considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

im...LOST wrote: »
    Shop around before you go anywhere though. I'm glad I just happened to ring them and save myself a few bob and I'll just be able to have it there and then.

A pleasant surprise!

Plus if there is a problem with it, you can just drop it back into the shop for them to sort out rather than having to go to the expence of sending it abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This is exactly the camera I am planning on buying. My best plan was ebay from the UK for about 1080 but if it's that close and I can just pick it up then I think I'll head to Gunn's.

Opened this thread expecting total disappointment, massively and pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

if you allow for VAT and customs duty in the case of your items being impounded on arriving in the country, and more peace of mind in case of an issue with what you've bought, you'll find the gap shrinks considerably.
    Very rarely buy from outside the EU so thats not a worry for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

thefizz wrote: »
    Its great to hear someone is happy and getting good value from a shop at home and supporting Irish jobs, instead of sending their money abroad.

Agree. But sometimes some people like me who have not got a lot of spare money dont have an option but to shop outside the Republic.
    I would even be willing to pay a small premium for it, but the prices in most bricks and mortars are normally astronomical. I know theres lots of reasons for this but money is money and I'm going to save by going with the cheaper option.

This is the position I find myself in. I would pay a premium if they were more competitive and that is what I have always done. In fairness I do find the shops more competitve than they were about 18months ago when I was buying my camera and at that time I had no choice but to buy from U.K.

On a general note, one other thing is the customer care and manners of SOME staff. While some are superb some really need to do a course in customer relations,

Agree on the post about their website. If It was a little better based on this thread they would get a lot more business.

Advertisement