Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adele on Phantom 105.2 all the time ?

Options
  • 10-01-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed that the Adele song "Rolling In The Deep" is getting played in VERY heavy rotation on Phantom 105.2.
    I wouldn't necessarily categorise Adele as Alt/Indie as would be the usual fare to be played on the "Dublin's Alternative Music Station".
    'Sup with that ???????
    Suspish ?
    Nothing against her or the song (I quite liked it before I had to hear it once an hour Everyday!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Phantom = "Home of rock" (allegedly).

Adele = Brit School trained soulful/pop artist.

Makes perfect sense that this would get so much airplay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I find it very hard to listen to Phantom anymore, especially during the day. It wont be long before its just another Today FM or 2fm. I find Michelle Doherty particularly annoying. All you get is mumford and sons or Kings of Leon being played to death all-day. I had it one night last week and Yo la Tengo, Wilco and Pavement where played and i nearly had a heart attack. I should be expecting music like this from an Alternative radio station.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

I agree, the standards have gone downhill a lot in recent times.
    The morning and daytime shows especially have become very bland and repetitive.
    The later evening shows such as 'the far side' and 'blitz' are the only times you'll actually hear good music.

It seems playing Adele is only the tip of the iceberg :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056140887

I guess we can expect further descent into banality if this is true.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the only show i listen to with any regularity is 'sunday morning coming down'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i actually like the song, but it certainly sounds out of place on Phantom.

but then again, with nonsense like The Wombats and 30 Seconds to Mars being played recently, i'm not surprised.

find myself listening to phantom very little recently because of the ever increasing amount of pop-rock.

i used to actively recommend Phantom to friends who complained about 2FM etc, but I honestly don't anymore as I find a lot of the music to be awful. there's not much point telling them to switch over when stuff like Brandon Flowers, Kings of Leon or The View is played on Phantom too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 BrianDaly

I suppose that we'll always have to agree to disgree on certain songs but we think it's a cracking tune. The song is on our A list which means it does get a lot of airplay but certainly not hourly. Other stations such as 6 music, Xfm and KCRW have since picked up on this particular track.

There will always be cross over tracks on Phantom that will ultimately played elsewhere. We can't help that!

Brian Daly
    Phantom 105.2

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

Phantom has gone downhill in terms of what they're playing regulary. I'm not adcovating they go back to playing no-name artists for the sake of being purely alt/indie but things like the Adele example do piss me off.
    Maybe more variation in their programmes? I enjoy pure morning and sunday morning coming down but besides that i get bored after 15mins otherwise if phantom was on the radio.

We all know that radio stations need to boost listenership figures, and make money off the back of that but I think Phantom are compromising what they originally set out to be (although maybe I have a flase notion of what they originally set out to be!).

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

This morning, driving to work, knock on Phantom, Kings of Leon "Sex on Fire". :mad:

Nearly put my fist through the dashboard.

Older KOL maybe, a b-side, or a little gem you won't hear at your nephew's 21st...

But Sex on Fire @ 08:15 in the morning :confused:

I'll be "keepin' it lit" with Mr. Ó hEochagáin tomorrow morning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You're going to voluntarily listen to Hector O'Cuintagain? Good luck to you.

Advertisement