Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clubfitting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Mac Man

savoryan wrote: »
    I thought thats what you were paying the €100 for ! I had this all wrong :D

Any idea then how their prices compare to the likes of McGuirks and Halpennys ? Are they a good bit more expensive because they know you have to buy the clubs off them anyway ?

I was looking at maybe getting a set of Mizuno MP 53s or something and seriously considering going to Fore Golf for a fitting.

They are not going to be more expensive than McGuirks or Halpennys. These stores sell golf equipment. ForeGolf provide custom fitted clubs. Why were they voted "World Club Maker Of The Year"... because they know what they are doing. Why did Ping award them the Ping Gold Putter award for service to Golf ( only two or three non playing golfers to have received this award) They were the first to bring true custom fitting to Ireland. The Golf chains only started this in the last two years.
    Go on and bite the bullet ( I did ) and give them a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 savoryan

Mac Man wrote: »
    They are not going to be more expensive than McGuirks or Halpennys. These stores sell golf equipment. ForeGolf provide custom fitted clubs. Why were they voted "World Club Maker Of The Year"... because they know what they are doing. Why did Ping award them the Ping Gold Putter award for service to Golf ( only two or three non playing golfers to have received this award) They were the first to bring true custom fitting to Ireland. The Golf chains only started this in the last two years.
    Go on and bite the bullet ( I did ) and give them a try.

Thanks for that. I dont mind paying the €100 for the fitting and if the price of the actual clubs are in line with the other retailers like McGuirks and Halpennys then im sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

If you are paying for a fit it would be incredibly bad form not to be provided with a full list of your specifications and recommendations based upon them. That is what you are paying for at the end of the day. That would be like going to a doctor and him only telling you what treatment you need if you first promise to buy it from him! :D

Where I am we provide a printed and PDF version of the data arising from the fitting session, and the recommendations made upon that data. After all, it can sometimes happen (albeit very rarely) that the recommendation arising from a fitting session is not to change something at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

I have an R9 Supertri and I was thinking of getting fit for just my driver.
    Due to lack of funds I'd hope to keep the driver and change at most the shaft.
    Is this possible with foregolf ? And if so how much am I looking at for it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

alxmorgan wrote: »
    I have an R9 Supertri and I was thinking of getting fit for just my driver.
    Due to lack of funds I'd hope to keep the driver and change at most the shaft.
    Is this possible with foregolf ? And if so how much am I looking at for it ?

Yes I got my 3w & 5w done last year, they'll give ya all the options, can't recall how much but it was cheaper than replacing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

sector wrote: »
    Yes I got my 3w & 5w done last year, they'll give ya all the options, can't recall how much but it was cheaper than replacing them

Looking at their website they only seem to do full bag consultations.
    Did you get one just for the woods and if so how much was the consultation itself do you remember ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 savoryan

Came across this on the Mizuno forum which is what i was afraid of.

"Thanks for the reply. I will probably wait for the MP59 and then might go for a Custom Fit.However living in Ireland(Dublin) I think that Fore Golf in Naas are the only Custom Fitters that do Mizuno.

They however insist that you buy the clubs off them but charge way more than the other retailers.

I went to them before when I had a present of a voucher.They quoted me around 25% more for a set of irons than was available locally. I wasn't interested at that.They will not give one the measurements.
    I thought one could go to a fitter and pay an amount and the fitter would give me a spec reading and I could choose from whom I buy the Irons.I would have no problems buying from them except for such a price difference."

I dont mind paying the €100 for the fitting but i dont want to overpay for the irons then on top of that. A €500 set of irons then could end up costing me €700-750 !

I think ill just ring them and ask them the price of the few sets im interested in. If they are in line with other retails ill book a fitting, if not, then i'll have to have a serious think about it.

How did the rest of you find their prices compared to others ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭GinjaNinja

"Thanks for the reply. I will probably wait for the MP59 and then might go for a Custom Fit.However living in Ireland(Dublin) I think that Fore Golf in Naas are the only Custom Fitters that do Mizuno.

They however insist that you buy the clubs off them but charge way more than the other retailers.

I went to them before when I had a present of a voucher.They quoted me around 25% more for a set of irons than was available locally. I wasn't interested at that.They will not give one the measurements.
    I thought one could go to a fitter and pay an amount and the fitter would give me a spec reading and I could choose from whom I buy the Irons.I would have no problems buying from them except for such a price difference."

I dont mind paying the €100 for the fitting but i dont want to overpay for the irons then on top of that. A €500 set of irons then could end up costing me €700-750 !

I think ill just ring them and ask them the price of the few sets im interested in. If they are in line with other retails ill book a fitting, if not, then i'll have to have a serious think about it.

their pricing is similar to other retailers as i recall.

I got last year mx-300 for 400 yoyos, when the origianllay offer the jpx-pros

mcquirck also do mizuno with customer fitting out in kinsealy grange.

the forgolf guys dont write down what the what the fitting is but during my session with time I had a perfect idea of the club and lenght, weight flex they recomeneded. etc. ie i ask Dave what shaft is that, why, etc,

I could have gone and got them myself. but it was easeir with warrenty and refit if neccessary, but each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭peepee

I had a GUI voucher which they refused to take.
    They wouldn't give me a reason why so I went elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Trampas

Was it like for like shafts.

Shafts can add a lot to a price of club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

They're surely losing out on a lot of potential business with that kind of strategy.I'd a mind to go to them with a driver and two woods until I read some of the above posts.
    I wonder is it the manufacturers that insist on this inhouse supply and fitting on the one sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

ImDave wrote: »
    If you are paying for a fit it would be incredibly bad form not to be provided with a full list of your specifications and recommendations based upon them. That is what you are paying for at the end of the day. That would be like going to a doctor and him only telling you what treatment you need if you first promise to buy it from him! :D

Where I am we provide a printed and PDF version of the data arising from the fitting session, and the recommendations made upon that data. After all, it can sometimes happen (albeit very rarely) that the recommendation arising from a fitting session is not to change something at all!

Foregolf are the best club fitters and club builders out there. Their reputation is worldwide and was earned through working damned hard over a long period of time to come up with fitting and building techniques that work with players of all standards. They will be a little more expensive than the alternatives because they are vastly superior to the alternatives.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Plus, if you go to a 'fitter' and then get your clubs 'built' elsewhere and you're not happy with the results, who do you turn to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Licksy wrote: »
    Plus, if you go to a 'fitter' and then get your clubs 'built' elsewhere and you're not happy with the results, who do you turn to?

Personally I would like to get just the fitting from ForeGolf but it doesn't look like they offer that.
    There are obviously enough people who can afford to buy the whole package (fitting and custom built club(s)), so they don't need to sell the fitting as a standalone product. It's their business - people mightn't like it but it's up to them.

Foregolf are the best club fitters and club builders out there. Their reputation is worldwide and was earned through working damned hard over a long period of time to come up with fitting and building techniques that work with players of all standards. They will be a little more expensive than the alternatives because they are vastly superior to the alternatives.

I don't understand why you are replying in such a manner to be honest, as I have never attacked or targeted the reputation of Foregolf, in my previous post or otherwise. I was simply making the point that I find it strange that you pay for a Custom Fitting service, but are not provided with the data arising from that session. I personally would expect to get that data, as I feel I am paying for that data, and not just for the recommendations that the fitter bases upon it.

Secondly, I do not believe that they are "vastly superior to the alternatives". I am more than aware that they have a fantastic reputation nationwide, and fair play to Derek for building the business that he has. I do however feel that it is an unfair statement to make when there are other alternatives which exist in the market place with a service offering that has been more recently established in the custom fitting sector. For example, where I am writing from we use Trackman Pro as our fitting hardware. That specific technology has in fact been quoted and proven to be "vastly superior to the alternatives" time and time again by a range of authoritative sources. Whilst technology is not the only factor in custom fitting, it is the industry gold standard.

Ultimately however that is not the matter being discussed. I was simply stating that I believe the customer should be provided with a copy of their session data to use for a number of other reasons, such as a marker for improvement on subsequent fitting sessions at a later date, or to get the opinion of others at a later date. I have visited on a professional basis a number of the leading fitting centres in Europe, including St. Andrews and The Belfry, all of which provide fitting data regardless of your choice to purchase. That is why I was surprised to hear that Fore do not provide a copy of the data, as it is the first time I have encountered such a situation.
    Licksy wrote: »

I believe in competition, and that once you have had recommendations given to you based on your custom fitting session, that you have the right to price those exact recommendations with your local retailer, or whomever you should choose. I you are not happy with the results, you turn to the fitter, simple as that. If the clubs you ordered, regardless of whom they were sourced from providing that they were ordered to the exact specification as recommended by the fitter, it would be the remit of the fitter to attempt to remedy the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

I don't understand why you are replying in such a manner to be honest, as I have never attacked or targeted the reputation of Foregolf, in my previous post or otherwise. I was simply making the point that I find it strange that you pay for a Custom Fitting service, but are not provided with the data arising from that session. I personally would expect to get that data, as I feel I am paying for that data, and not just for the recommendations that the fitter bases upon it.

Secondly, I do not believe that they are "vastly superior to the alternatives". I am more than aware that they have a fantastic reputation nationwide, and fair play to Derek for building the business that he has. I do however feel that it is an unfair statement to make when there are other alternatives which exist in the market place with a service offering that has been more recently established in the custom fitting sector. For example, where I am writing from we use Trackman Pro as our fitting hardware. That specific technology has in fact been quoted and proven to be "vastly superior to the alternatives" time and time again by a range of authoritative sources. Whilst technology is not the only factor in custom fitting, it is the industry gold standard.

Ultimately however that is not the matter being discussed. I was simply stating that I believe the customer should be provided with a copy of their session data to use for a number of other reasons, such as a marker for improvement on subsequent fitting sessions at a later date, or to get the opinion of others at a later date. I have visited on a professional basis a number of the leading fitting centres in Europe, including St. Andrews and The Belfry, all of which provide fitting data regardless of your choice to purchase. That is why I was surprised to hear that Fore do not provide a copy of the data, as it is the first time I have encountered such a situation.

I believe in competition, and that once you have had recommendations given to you based on your custom fitting session, that you have the right to price those exact recommendations with your local retailer, or whomever you should choose. I you are not happy with the results, you turn to the fitter, simple as that. If the clubs you ordered, regardless of whom they were sourced from providing that they were ordered to the exact specification as recommended by the fitter, it would be the remit of the fitter to attempt to remedy the situation.

So do you have a vested interest in people being able to shop around once they have the print-out of their recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 worm_tongue

Quick question, I have purchased clubs from Foregolf and found them to be top class. However I was never given my information regarding the set up of my gear. I must state for clarity purposes I never requested the information either. Do anyone know if I ask for the information will they provide it?
    What are the advantages to me having this information?

nocal wrote: »
    So do you have a vested interest in people being able to shop around once they have the print-out of their recommendations?

No not at all, I'm speaking more so as a golfer and consumer than anything, and I feel that just because you get fitted in one place doesn't mean that you should have to either go with the price they quote or with nothing at all. That's all to be honest. But sure look, it is obviously working very well for them, and I don't mean to critisise a successful business model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭nocal

No not at all, I'm speaking more so as a golfer and consumer than anything, and I feel that just because you get fitted in one place doesn't mean that you should have to either go with the price they quote or with nothing at all. That's all to be honest. But sure look, it is obviously working very well for them, and I don't mean to critisise a successful business model.

My bad. I got the impression that you were the marketing manager of a golf shop and driving range.

Personally from what I have read I would go to Foregolf for a fitting as they seem to use the launch monitor figures as a starting point as opposed to the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I have to agree, I found that they used the launch monitor to confirm what they were seeing with their own eyes. I think your paying for their vast experience. They are totally professional and I found that they weren't even interested in pushing the sale. They also every club under the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I would not go to them unless they gave me all the data and info I needed TBH. If I was going for a custom fit I would be going for the info/data and not the club building expertise. What if I wanted a second set of clubs or changed my driver. Would like to know what figures I was working with on my driver for future reference.

Also I'm after a set of MP-58s but I decided not to get them unless I was getting custom fitted, but I don't think I would sell my MP-60s too. They are not worth much second hand so I would rather hang onto them and have them as a back up set. Obviously I would want to bend them to the exact same spec as any other clubs I would be using. What happens in that situation..

Anyway I don't doubt they are a top class organization, and I reckon if you were going to them for just data they would do it for you. Also if you were getting especially complex work done you would obviously want the best guys doing it for you, so you would probably end up with them anyway. But you are entitled to the data if you pay for a custom fit IMO. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I've been reading through this thread and decided to respond in the hopes of clearing things up for people. Allot of what has been written here is conjecture. I am a Foregolf customer who was fitted for clubs last year. Thankfully they have proved a great addition to my game.. In any case following the appointment I asked for the details of my fitting and was given the spec. sheet without any hesitation from Derek. I have attached a copy of the file to this post.. Hopefully this puts people minds at ease, they are an excellent company to deal with and I would have no hesitation reccomending them to anyone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭big_drive

I also received a sheet with all lofts, lengths, lies, etc.

I got this after I'd bought the full set of clubs. But I didn't ask for it before purchase so I don't know if it would have been availible to me at an earlier stage

big_drive wrote: »
    I also received a sheet with all lofts, lengths, lies, etc.

I got this after I'd bought the full set of clubs. But I didn't ask for it before purchase so I don't know if it would have been availible to me at an earlier stage

I was given it before I purchased the clubs... I waited a week to make up my mind....

Ya I didn't ask for it because I knew I was going to purchase anyway. I'd have nothing but positive opinion with my foregolf experience. Best money I've spent in golf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    I was given it before I purchased the clubs... I waited a week to make up my mind....

Ah thats spot on DRA. It's pretty much what I expected them to do TBH. They are obviously a top class organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 worm_tongue

D_Red_Army wrote: »
    I've been reading through this thread and decided to respond in the hopes of clearing things up for people. Allot of what has been written here is conjecture. I am a Foregolf customer who was fitted for clubs last year. Thankfully they have proved a great addition to my game.. In any case following the appointment I asked for the details of my fitting and was given the spec. sheet without any hesitation from Derek. I have attached a copy of the file to this post.. Hopefully this puts people minds at ease, they are an excellent company to deal with and I would have no hesitation reccomending them to anyone...

I had a look on their web site and your experience is different to what Derek declares on the website as company policy.

Think you may have been fortunate to get the specs.

Please see link below: Look at point 6
    http://foregolf.ie/faq.php

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

Your experience is indeed misleading Red Army. Foregolf do not give out technical specs prior to purchase. I know this also as a customer of theirs.

Fitting wise they are top notch, as are the Titleist fitting centre in Carton house. I can't say I agree with their policy of with holding specs though. They say this is for quality control purposes but you may be sure it is to force you to buy from them.

I've said this before and I'll say it again here, Unless you're 100% committed to buying from them, don't go for a fitting there. You are only wasting your 100 euro.

I asked Derek for the specs of my woods so that I could try them out on the golf course as my friend had the same driver. It's worth noting that I had already purchased a set of Irons from them. After a long drawn out process he eventually gave them to me, afterwards accusing me of lying about my reasons for asking.

As he said himself in the same conversation, "if you're not buying clubs from us, I'm losing money on the fitting and I don't want your business" - That's a direct quote by the way. I did point out that I had just paid him 850 euros - I bought the woods from Carton House in the end after also going for a fitting there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I'm not a lawyer, but if anyone holds information on you, under the "Freedom of Information Act" they have to provide this inforamtion to you.

Personally if I go for a fitting and paying for it I want the information given to me, end off. If I chose to buy there, its because I trust them and happy to part with the money for the service I got, not been bullied into it.

Due to what I read here I can't see me going near them.

Maybe they could respond to this thread and let us know there view as word of mouth is very important.

I'm hoping to get customer fit later this year so have a personal interest in hearing these views.

• Advertisement

Jasonw wrote: »
    Your experience is indeed misleading Red Army. Foregolf do not give out technical specs prior to purchase.

Just giving you my experience, take it or leave it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

I asked Derek for the specs of my woods so that I could try them out on the golf course as my friend had the same driver. It's worth noting that I had already purchased a set of Irons from them. After a long drawn out process he eventually gave them to me, afterwards accusing me of lying about my reasons for asking.

As he said himself in the same conversation, "if you're not buying clubs from us, I'm losing money on the fitting and I don't want your business" - That's a direct quote by the way. I did point out that I had just paid him 850 euros - I bought the woods from Carton House in the end after also going for a fitting there.

Wow ! I won't be heading there in a hurry.

Chances are for me, you might buy there in the end anyway, but it should be your own choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭sandyhills

I can only ad my own experience. I was fitted for irons and woods and got the full spec when I finished the fitting. Just bought the irons at the time. Went back again to get woods and was also given the spec before I left. There was never any pressure to buy as I said on both occassions that I would have to consider it and get back to them.
    Really enjoyed the experience as hit a huge number of clubs with different shafts to get the one most suitable to me. Hard to beat the range of equipment they carry would highly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

As he said himself in the same conversation, "if you're not buying clubs from us, I'm losing money on the fitting and I don't want your business" - That's a direct quote by the way.

Ok so a fitting is 100 euro for an hour, yet he is losing money by being paid 100 euro an hour? If he is really "losing money" while being paid 100 euro an hour then the building and markup of the clubs he sells you must be some ripoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

I got mine in August, found them very heavy at first but am getting use to them.
    Hitting the ball straighter and with more distance control. They do take a while to get use too.
    But when I don't get the club on plane its horrible.
    I think the weight helps stop the hands controlling the club.

Anyone else with any opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Got a driver fitting in a few weeks time. Can someone please tell me what the process is? Do i hit a few drives with my current driver and then they tell you to hit certain demo models that they think might suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Got a driver fitting in a few weeks time. Can someone please tell me what the process is? Do i hit a few drives with my current driver and then they tell you to hit certain demo models that they think might suit?

Was in the new place in Killeen recently. Great set-up. In my mind, i was going to change my driver but we went through the bag first.

Hit a few warm up shots, then hit a couple of shots with my 6 iron. He then got me to hit a couple of different irons with different weight or shaft features based on shot shape and feedback. Compared visual results to launch monitor. Upshot was my irons are fine.

Switched to woods. Hit my 3 wood first and then he picked some different shafts which were stiffer than my own. Shots got more consistent with a lighter stiffer shaft.

Same sort of results with my driver. The lofts of both test clubs matched my own and when we experimented with different lofts, the results weren't as good.

They recommended I change my driver to an aldidia shaft and can't remember the name for the 3 wood shaft. Didn't try different clubheads cause my own were fine.

Waiting to get the new clubs now. Total cost will be €380 including fitting. Probably the same as cost of a fitted driver.

They have stats for my irons if I want to change in the future but I'll see how the others go first.

I'd recommend going through your whole bag when you are there not just the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Cheers searay, that's exactly the info I was after. I really don't know about the irons, I seem to be hitting my own very well.

I am hitting nearly every fairway with my driver but I'm just sending it way too high. My 3 wood goes the same distance. Hopefully they will set me up with a low kick, low spin driver.

Sounds like they have a good set up there though- looking forward to it. Will post results here in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

It's a tough call really as to how good the service is compared to other fitters(I wouldn't know as I've only been to Foregolf). I think anybody who has never experienced a fitting before will love the experience. You get a range of shafts and heads to test out that are second to none. The only way I can see that you wouldn't come away happy is if you have previous experience of fitting and had access to your recommended club specs on that occasion. For me living in Limerick there is nowhere local(within 30 minutes drive) who can offer the service they offer. I really enjoyed the hour and got an insight into how important fitting can be. I'm seeing the benefit in my game also which helps, the pricing isn't that much different than off the shelf stock clubs on the clubs I bought, maybe €30-€50 extra for the upgraded shaft. I'd recommend Foregolf to anybody who hadn't been fitted before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SEORG

Booked in for 9th of June, they are in Dromoland that day for anyone in the west. Think they have a few slots left in the afternoon.

Looking forward to it as I have never had a fitting before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Ok so think I have to bite the bullet here. Driver costing me so many shots that I am getting frustrated coming off the course.

I am hoping to get away with €400 for driver. Am I being realistic ?

Anyone know the current waiting time ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Current wait time was about 1 month last time I rang. It'll be €100 for the fitting and that leaves you €300 to get a driver so you should be able to get one for that but be prepared to spend an extra €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I know, everyones favorite thread...:o

Finally going to see these guys at the end of August for a full bag as sick of looking at new clubs and second guessing my decisions on whether to purchase or not.

Just cant wait to get it done now espically as the driver is killing me. Either smashing one down the fairway with a slight draw or snap hooking it 80 yards out of play.

High speed footage has the club head abt 10" past the shaft at impact so good justification for thinking its the shaft (I hope).

Anyway, has anyone being lately and whats the latest gear they have or are trying to promote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Hi All,

I am a new golfer looking to buy his first golf clubs. I am 6 foot seven so will to get extended shafts.

My question is - Is there value for me going to Foregolf to get advice on clubs if i am only a beginner with an evolving swing.

Any thoughts appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

sparrow3 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am a new golfer looking to buy his first golf clubs. I am 6 foot seven so will to get extended shafts.

My question is - Is there value for me going to Foregolf to get advice on clubs if i am only a beginner with an evolving swing.

Any thoughts appreciated

Foregolf would tell you there is cause there making money out of it. Logically however your swing is going to change alot, especially in the first year. If you get lessons it will definitely change. With confidence and style your swing speed will likely change also.

I think you'd be mad, I'm not saying don't get fitted tho. My advice would be go to a golf shop where they will fit you for nothing, or at the least take the price of fitting off the price of the clubs you buy. At least this way you should at least find a clubs you feel comfortable with, like the feel of and the weight. you'll be hitting off a mat into a net, but its better than just picking the shiniest clubs off the shelf, or 1s that got a good review.

Although its likely you will need longer clubs It wouldn't be a given. Its not directly related to your height. Its to do with your proportions etc. For example how far your hands are off the ground when standing straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

Many thanks NoelAPM , much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Was up there last week, very impressed. Full bag is a fortune so picking up the irons first. Getting the new Mizuno 825 pro's, lovely clubs.

6ft 1" but was fitted for shafts +1.5" longer, mid sized grips and True Temper DG SL X100 shafts. Specs I wouldn't have picked in a million years. Contact I was getting with that spec shaft was unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Do you need to be a relatively low handicappers in order to benefit from custom fitting? I've been playing a few years, have invested in lessons and have a fairly consistent swing but I'm not playing consistently and my handicap has gone out to 22. I'm committed to improving my game and want to get to the low teens in terms of handicap. I play twice a week on average through ought the year.

My irons are 9 year old off the shelf Big Berthas but my driver and woods etc are less than 2 years old. Also, I'm bang on 6 feet tall so I'm guessing my shafts might be a tiny bit short of optimum but not much.

The big question I have is should I invest in custom fitted clubs now (probably new irons but re fit existing driver and woods) or should I wait until I get down to a lower handicap (16?) before doing so?

Ben

I think the custom fitting would benefit you no matter what your handicap is, the right clubs make the poor shots less damaging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks Big Drive. I'd be looking at +/- €1,500 is I went with new irons and refitted my driver and woods so it's a serious enough investment.

Cheers,

Ben

Ya it's a big investment. But well worth it when you start playing better, a lot of enjoyment comes from playing well!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement