Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-drinking =Boredom

Options
  • 10-01-2011 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Had been over-drinking for a while and over-eating...Resolved this year that I would change that...Went 8 nights in a row without any alcohol, or food after 7. Last night had a single glass of red wine and through a combination of guilt and fear of returning to habitual drinking (by that I mean 2 or glasses most nights at home ) I didn't really enjoy it. Really I over ate and over drank due to boredom.

Does anyone relate?.

As the evenings get longer I hope to walk in the evenings to combat this, starting a night course in 3 weeks which will help.

Has anyone similar feelings?.

I don't think there's a need to be completely teetotal but I don't want to be habitualy drinking or eating due to boredom.

Happy New Year
    F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Freiheit wrote: »
    Had been over-drinking for a while and over-eating...Resolved this year that I would change that...Went 8 nights in a row without any alcohol, or food after 7. Last night had a single glass of red wine and through a combination of guilt and fear of returning to habitual drinking (by that I mean 2 or glasses most nights at home ) I didn't really enjoy it. Really I over ate and over drank due to boredom.

Does anyone relate?.

As the evenings get longer I hope to walk in the evenings to combat this, starting a night course in 3 weeks which will help.

Has anyone similar feelings?.

I don't think there's a need to be completely teetotal but I don't want to be habitualy drinking or eating due to boredom.

Happy New Year
    F

I think that you shouldn't beat yourself up over that glass of wine. Having said that, as someone who often too eats out of boredom, I find that when it might get a little out of hand, the only solution is to really break the habit.

It's hard to tell yourself you have to give something up forever but in this case, you could certainly tell yourself- 'I must stay of these for a minimum of ____'. If it's habit only (ie, no level of addiction), you should be able to achieve this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I know the feeling, one of the reasons I continued to drink was a fear of living a boring life. Well, I can honestly say that the life I was living while drinking was truly boring. EVERYTHING revolved around the next drink. Would I be able to drink wherever I was? How do I avoid driving? Will anyone notice? In the end the usual result is that I would choose to stay at home and drink because anything else was too difficult to organise. That was boring.__________________But that aside and as cantdecide has said if its only a bad habbit forming you should be able to replace this with something more positive, A glass of wine a night is not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Non drinking does not equal boredom

Doin fxckall productive things with your time is boredom, then the boredom whole is generally filled with food and/or drink

So get out and do somethin! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Billy7878

unreggd wrote: »
    Non drinking does not equal boredom

Doin fxckall productive things with your time is boredom, then the boredom whole is generally filled with food and/or drink

So get out and do somethin! :D

best thing to do at half three in the morning is DRINK :pac: nothing else todo

Billy7878 wrote: »
    best thing to do at half three in the morning is DRINK :pac: nothing else todo
    sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

sleep?

:D totally agree.

op, 1 or 2 glasses of wine in the evening is ok i'd say. if it makes you happy and doing no harms to yourself and others, that should be alright. i'd like to have a glass of good wine every night. it's good to our blood circulation indeed. :D

i dont think non-drinking = boredom. there are too many things to do other than drinking. i think drinking too much and have my social life or leisure life relies on drinking activities are boring actually.

sleep?

well obviously the goal is to sleep with her but you have to drink with her first to court her into somnolence

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

well obviously the goal is to sleep with her but you have to drink with her first to court her into somnolence

why do you need to drink to sleep with someone... poor you (or her?)... !! :D

cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

gave it all up for january after over indulging over the xmas... not as hard as i thought it would be!!

booksale wrote: »
    why do you need to drink to sleep with someone... poor you (or her?)... !! :D

cheers!
    most girls want the man to drink and get them drinking to them relax and have a good time, that is from what I have seen over and over, drink= lack of inhibitions and we all know how many inhibitions humans have

• Advertisement

most girls want the man to drink and get them drinking to them relax and have a good time, that is from what I have seen over and over, drink= lack of inhibitions and we all know how many inhibitions humans have

What is it that you're after here matey?

Im not sure, cant decide

djPSB wrote: »
    gave it all up for january after over indulging over the xmas... not as hard as i thought it would be!!

Good for you, usually people say give it 30 days then review your options,:)

cantdecide wrote: »
    What is it that you're after here matey?

:P Think he is after drunken women :confused:

realies wrote: »
    :P Think he is after drunken women :confused:

What an extraordinary thought. Why would one come to a non drinkers forum to advocate sex with drunken women? It’s hardly the place for that, surely. I was beginning to think that what he was after was some puerile acknowledgment that he’s better than non-drinkers. Could that be it I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I see you all miss the OP's position. They don't mean non-drinking = boredom, he meant boredom causes him to drink. And since they stopped drinking without replacing it with something to do, they are now back to square one once more.

OP, I realise this response is cliché as f**k, but join clubs, etc. It gets you out of the house, and stops the boredom. Also, take up reading, gaming, or look for a soap to watch regularly.

the_syco wrote: »
    I see you all miss the OP's position. They don't mean non-drinking = boredom, he meant boredom causes him to drink. And since they stopped drinking without replacing it with something to do, they are now back to square one once more.

OP, I realise this response is cliché as f**k, but join clubs, etc. It gets you out of the house, and stops the boredom. Also, take up reading, gaming, or look for a soap to watch regularly.
    Yeah that was my point. Drinkin was never enjoyable, it just replaced the boredom of bein inactive, so he should take up lots of clubs / activities

Best o luck to ye OP :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Really OP - you have a bad habit but it isn't terminal.

What do you like doing or what are you expecting that will improve by taking this course of action.

So if you are quaffing back a bottle a night and overeating - it seems to me that you are looking for some sort of detox and discipline and fitness programme.

What sort of things used you do before ?

Advertisement