If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp Recommendations please?

Options
  • 10-01-2011 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I got a present of a Technics SL1210 turntable for christmas. I have a Sony STR - DE497 amplifier for a few years, however i connected the turntable to the amp today using RCA cables and the sound is terrible. I had the amp turned up to the last but I could only barely hear the music.
    I am wondering would there be a better amp that peope could recommend, I also have a Sony hard disc audio recorder which I would be using.
    Any help would be really appreciated, but budget would not the highest as I am back at college at the moment.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi
    I got a present of a Technics SL1210 turntable for christmas. I have a Sony STR - DE497 amplifier for a few years, however i connected the turntable to the amp today using RCA cables and the sound is terrible. I had the amp turned up to the last but I could only barely hear the music.
    I am wondering would there be a better amp that peope could recommend, I also have a Sony hard disc audio recorder which I would be using.
    Any help would be really appreciated, but budget would not the highest as I am back at college at the moment.

One man - I would love to sell you a new amp - but I think you may just be connecting your turntable into the wrong input - if you have an input marked 'Phono' or 'Turntable' you will find it should work no problem. (if your amp does not have a Phono input - we can do you a Phono step up amplifier from just £19.95.

If you are (hopefully) going to go for a new turntable anyway - we have the Cambridge Audio AM 1 at just £69.95 and if you pop it together with the PA111 Turntable preamp at £19.95 it will get you into biz.

Thanks again and keep me posted one way of the other!

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Cheers for the reply John,
    The Sony amp I have does not have a phono input, hence why I am thinking of purchasing a new amp and selling the Sony.
    You have/had a Denon DRA700AE for sale for £179. Do you still have this.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.