Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Miso Pase in Limerick?

• 10-01-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get hold of white miso paste (for Japanese cooking) in Limerick? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm not sure, but there's a place at the top of Henry Street that might have it.

Cheong Heng Hong Oriental Supermarket. It's next-door to the Limerick Post Newspaper offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭ink

I was wondering if anybody knows where I can get hold of white miso paste (for Japanese cooking) in Limerick? Thanks.

There are plenty of the Japaneese cooking ingredients in Tesco these days. In Cresent SC there are quite few shelves in the oriental cuisine section with the japaneese stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭morningpeasant

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, they don't stock miso in Tesco. I'll give the place in Henry's street a try. Would it still be called 'miso' in a Chinese shop? Also, do you think they sell katsubishi (bonito flakes) in any of the Chinese shops in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭luosymnisiAZIBI

if you go in with the kanji for the chinese of miso written down (味噌) and ask for the paste you should be okay.

i don't know about the bonito, but i get senbei the whole time in the chinese shop in catherine street and they have bonito on them.

good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭luosymnisiAZIBI

oops, the kanji are the same in japanese and chinese, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

My wife (Japanese) just told me that she's seen white miso in the shop on Henry street, but that they definitely don't have it all the time. She also said she's never seen katsuobushi for sale in Limerick.

Thanks to everybody for the replies. I'll check Henry street for the white miso tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

osarusan wrote: »
    My wife (Japanese) just told me that she's seen white miso in the shop on Henry street, but that they definitely don't have it all the time.
    C&C might have it on Catherine Street, there's also another shop that sells Asian food up by the top of Roches Street near that little cafe

Sera wrote: »
    C&C might have it on Catherine Street, there's also another shop that sells Asian food up by the top of Roches Street near that little cafe

Where is C and C?

What about Nature's Hand in the Crescent? Anybody know if they have it there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Where is C and C?
    you know Fla's pub? it's just beside there about a few doors up from Fine Wines, it's very small but they're lovely in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Place in Henry street usually have it and if they don't ask for it and they'll order it. I usually get it there as it's cheapest. Also, they recently started selling dashi stock - saving you the need for bonito. (check out their frozen section downstairs too - all sorts of yummy desserts)

Natures hand in the crescent does miso and also if you ask brown rice mochi can be ordered in for you (it's not as nice as white mochi though) also they seem to be the only place to get short grain brown rice, umeboshi and macha tea.

To get bonito etc yr best bet is to order from japancentre.co.uk and bulk order - works out cheaper.

If you ever get to Dublin the asian store on abbey street (right off the luas stop across from Jervis centre) is awesome and you might get yr bonito there.

Place in Henry street usually have it and if they don't ask for it and they'll order it. I usually get it there as it's cheapest. Also, they recently started selling dashi stock - saving you the need for bonito. (check out their frozen section downstairs too - all sorts of yummy desserts)

Natures hand in the crescent does miso and also if you ask brown rice mochi can be ordered in for you (it's not as nice as white mochi though) also they seem to be the only place to get short grain brown rice, umeboshi and macha tea.

To get bonito etc yr best bet is to order from japancentre.co.uk and bulk order - works out cheaper.

If you ever get to Dublin the asian store on abbey street (right off the luas stop across from Jervis centre) is awesome and you might get yr bonito there.

Whatdoicare - thank you so much for all the information, very helpful indeed :) Do you know if the place in Henry's street carries bonito flakes? I already have dashi powder, but want to use bonito for sprinkling on tofu etc. Also, do they stock kaonbu? I can get in it Eats of Eden, but it is quite expensive.

In relation to Nature's hand; can the short-grain brown rice be used in place of white sushi rice?

Again, thank you so much :)

Whatdoicare - thank you so much for all the information, very helpful indeed :) Do you know if the place in Henry's street carries bonito flakes? I already have dashi powder, but want to use bonito for sprinkling on tofu etc. Also, do they stock kaonbu? I can get in it Eats of Eden, but it is quite expensive.

In relation to Nature's hand; can the short-grain brown rice be used in place of white sushi rice?

Again, thank you so much :)

I was there Monday and as far as I can see they don't stock bonito but the guy who runs Henry street shop is lovely and everyone has good english. If you ask they may try and get you some (the japanese section came about from people going in and asking for stuff- so they might not know to get it)
    Konbu - I think they do. They have a section of seaweed on the ground floor second shelf in from the left. They also have Nori - much cheaper than tesco or natures hand.

Yup, short grain brown rice is the same as sushi rice. Be aware it takes longer to cook and a little more water. (white rice is 1 cup rice to 1 cup water but brown is one cup brown to 2 cups water)
    Long grain and basmati don't work at all as they don't have the stickiness needed but I've been told if yr stuck, risotto/arborro rice does the trick.

I was there Monday and as far as I can see they don't stock bonito but the guy who runs Henry street shop is lovely and everyone has good english. If you ask they may try and get you some (the japanese section came about from people going in and asking for stuff- so they might not know to get it)
    Konbu - I think they do. They have a section of seaweed on the ground floor second shelf in from the left. They also have Nori - much cheaper than tesco or natures hand.

Yup, short grain brown rice is the same as sushi rice. Be aware it takes longer to cook and a little more water. (white rice is 1 cup rice to 1 cup water but brown is one cup brown to 2 cups water)
    Long grain and basmati don't work at all as they don't have the stickiness needed but I've been told if yr stuck, risotto/arborro rice does the trick.

Good to know that they're willing to get stuff in stock - I'm always nervous about asking, don't ask me why. Nori, good stuff, it'll save me getting my friends in Japan to post it to me. I'm a big fan of the sweetened stuff, so I might see if they could get some of that in too!
    Short-grain brown rice here I come! Thanks so much for all the info - you seem well up on where to get Asian food-stuffs in this city!

Good to know that they're willing to get stuff in stock - I'm always nervous about asking, don't ask me why. Nori, good stuff, it'll save me getting my friends in Japan to post it to me. I'm a big fan of the sweetened stuff, so I might see if they could get some of that in too!
    Short-grain brown rice here I come! Thanks so much for all the info - you seem well up on where to get Asian food-stuffs in this city!

No problem at all - any questions, just ask.
    I'm a big fan of Japanese food so have been up and down Limerick hassling people to get stuff for me haha.
    Get all my recipes from bento.com/justhungry.com - good website for substitution ideas aswell - if you can't find a particular food item.
    Also, don't know if you know but copper and spice do Japanese cuisine and have sushi nights every now and again. Nice night out.

Advertisement