Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclists

• 10-01-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

I commute into the centre of Dublin every day - touch wood I have never had an accident- I find the biggest danger on the road I have found are not cars but Cyclists who just fly in and out of cars without looking.
    Anyhow on my commute there are 2 small streches which are very narrow where I sometimes us the bike lane for a short stretch (i don't ride up the ass of cyclists in the lane and stay back) - last friday a cyclist pushed up behind and tried to push me off the bike - then would not let me around him to even get out- it did quiet heated anyhow usual militant cyclist you should not be using it etc (OK fair enough). I then follow said cyclist on outside just to see if he stops at next Red light - low and behold the same militant cyclist rides straight through it - does not like it when I point said out.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

That fvcker would be getting a size 12 Sidi up the hole, but that's just me.

I'd stay out of the cycle lane though, dangerous place to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

He dude tried to push you off your bike and the situation only got "heated"?
    Ya have some restraint man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

KamiKazi wrote: »

I'd stay out of the cycle lane though, dangerous place to be.

It is the one place that the Guards will pull you for being in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I commute into the centre of Dublin every day - touch wood I have never had an accident- I find the biggest danger on the road I have found are not cars but Cyclists who just fly in and out of cars without looking.
    Anyhow on my commute there are 2 small streches which are very narrow where I sometimes us the bike lane for a short stretch (i don't ride up the ass of cyclists in the lane and stay back) - last friday a cyclist pushed up behind and tried to push me off the bike - then would not let me around him to even get out- it did quiet heated anyhow usual militant cyclist you should not be using it etc (OK fair enough). I then follow said cyclist on outside just to see if he stops at next Red light - low and behold the same militant cyclist rides straight through it - does not like it when I point said out.

I use cycle lanes too. But if it was narrow and I could see cyclist coming up behind me I would merge back into traffic to let them pass. How did he pass you? But anyone that tries to push you off is looking for trouble and is in the wrong no matter what.
    Very similar thing happened to me before years ago, was at the top of a bicycle lane at a red light. A cyclist comes up behind me and says I shouldn't be in the cycle lane. I told him the light is red, he can't go anywhere. He said that's not the point. Anyway, light changes and I stop at the next light. Guess who goes straight through? On a seriously busy junction too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You only have to stay out of a cycle lane if it's got a solid line, broken line is OK. But cyclists have right of way in all cycle lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The red grippy cycle lanes are great for doing wheelies when the other surface is wet and slippy, no wheel spin :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its not easy being either a cyclist or a motorcyclist in Dublin. Neither group has been given sufficient attention by the authorities in the last millenium. You see them as wheeled pedestrians, they see you as a small car and neither sees the other as a two-wheeled human.

I give EVERY wheeled human a wide berth because apart from drunk dogs with wheelbarrows full of nitroglycerine, nothing is more likely to accidentally kill you. Stay out of cycle lanes unless its four in the morning and you are practicing wheelies and stoppies, try not to get in anyones way and if you plan on shoving a cyclist into the back of a parked van, please video it for me.

One of the few times I was knocked off a bicycle and the only time that required medical attention was when a bike courier overtook me as I turned right at a junction.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

As a rule, you should avoid cycle lanes unless you have absolutely no other choice but to use them, and even then you need an escape route.
    Its not easy being either a cyclist or a motorcyclist in Dublin. Neither group has been given sufficient attention by the authorities in the last millenium.

Wouldn't entirely agree. Cyclists got the National cycle policy framework with approx €10 million Euro earmarked for implementation.

From http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=128
    * Committed funding in 2009 to projects including –
    Completion of Phoenix Park northside cycle loop (€90,000)
    Refurbishment of cycle lanes in Dublin City (€800,000)
    Safe walking and cycling route to school in Eyries, Co Cork (€257,000)
    Cycle parking in Waterford City (€38,000)
    Fisheries Field Cycle and Walking route in Galway City (€500,000)
    Temporary cycle stands in Galway City (€50,000)
    Carrigaline, Co Cork Walking and Cycling route €1,000,000)
    PassageWest to Rochestown Co Cork Cycle and walking Route (€922,000)
    Castletroy, Co Limerick Cycle route (€170,000)
    Provision of cycle shelters in schools and workplaces (€424,000)
    Newport to Mulranny, Co Mayo, off-road cycle and walking route (€1,280,000)

Then there's the cycle to work scheme with tax breaks for commuter cyclists and so on. For comparison, here's the very latest figures from the Dept. of Transport for the funding for the promotion of motorcycling over the past decade:

€0.00

Search the National Motorcycle Safety Action Plan for the word "funding" and see what you get.

Sorry gone a bit OT now.

Basically, yeah, stay out of cycle lanes, not a good place to be. All it takes is one car door opening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

One of the few times I was knocked off a bicycle and the only time that required medical attention was when a bike courier overtook me as I turned right at a junction.

You could say he was trying to intercept you :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

you can use a cycle lane with a broken white line

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64413502

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

carsQhere wrote: »
    Wouldn't entirely agree...

I wouldn't expect you to.

Toodle over to the Cycling forum and have a look at what they say;)

I can only comment on the Galway aspect of that funding and the €550,000 earmarked for cyclists was the provision of a 'walkway and cycle path' through a bog on the edge of the city which is no benefit to commuters or anyone, and the provision of somewhere to lock bicycles.
    Fisheries Field Cycle and Walking route in Galway City (€500,000)
    Temporary cycle stands in Galway City (€50,000)

Motorcyclists on the other hand got a dedicated section of Bridge Street to park on.

Anyhew, you are right - its gone off topic. DETH 2 SYKLISTS...

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The cycle lane is a terrible place to be on a motorbike, no alternate escape option bar forward, a bad surface usually off camber into a kerb and legally just asking for trouble in almost every scenario - even if a car pulls in on top of you as you are undertaking. You are much better off working your way to the front and then claiming your spot, if you don't have time to do that then you are not really being delayed any way!

When ever I was on a bike turning left I always made certain to position such that there was not enough room for someone to squeeze in on the left and cause a problem for me, first come first serve when it comes to position and possession.

Next time someone blocks you way and tells you how to ride ask them to produce their Garda ID or invite then to build a bridge.

Xios wrote: »
    You could say he was trying to intercept you :eek:

lolz

'kkzi

Sounds like the guy you encountered has some aggression issues OP. I would refrain from tarring all cyclists with the same brush though. I cycle regularly and have come across the occassional insane/dangerous motorcyclist, however it hasn't made me think that all motorcyclists are dangerous lunatics, in fact I've found the opposite to be the case, the majority are very safe and courteous. The thing is that safe and courteous road behaviour is a lot less noticeable than agressive and dangerous behaviour, therefore it tends to be the latter that sticks out in our memories.

In the urban environment cyclists and motorcyclists face many of the same challenges and problems, which I feel can foster a sense of solidarity between those on two wheels. For example I once had a woman driving right on my back wheel as I was going up a narrow hill, eventually passing me with inches to spare. When I caught up with her at the next set of lights (as always seems to happen) I found the motorcyclist that had been behind her was giving her an earful on my behalf! I was simultaneously grateful and embarassed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I always avoid the use of cycle lanes these days. The number one reason being it's not safe for me to use and it's not safe for cyclists to have me in the cycle lane. While 9 out of 10 cyclists are probably nice people, there is always the chance you'll run into that one cyclist with anger management issues, why stress yourself out when it's safer to filter on the outside?

How are cycle lanes not safe? I think they're far safer than passing on the right, cars do u-turns and right hand turns all the time without looking behing them. You don't get that in the cycle lanes.
    It's not dangerous to cyclists unless you try and overtake them, but obviously doing that is probably impossible, never mind stupid.
    I'm talking about going pass stationary or walking pace traffic here.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    How are cycle lanes not safe? I think they're far safer than passing on the right, cars do u-turns and right hand turns all the time without looking behing them. You don't get that in the cycle lanes.
    It's not dangerous to cyclists unless you try and overtake them, but obviously doing that is probably impossible, never mind stupid.

Vehicles aren't expecting something as fast or as big as a motorbike to be coming up the cycle lane. People never check it when pulling in, passengers rarely check the mirror before opening the door in your face. Dangerous place to be, filtering on the right is much safer.

Vehicles aren't expecting something as fast or as big as a motorbike to be coming up the cycle lane. People never check it when pulling in, passengers rarely check the mirror before opening the door in your face. Dangerous place to be, filtering on the right is much safer.

I think it's the opposite. Cars know bikes will be in the bike lane, but when cars are doing a left hander or u-turn they look ahead and never behind.
    Same with pedestrians crossing, they always look left when coming out from between cars. No one expects a motorbike to be passing a line of traffic. Cars pulling out from side roads are waved out in front of you too. I use bicycle lanes in some situations and find it perfectly safe.

OK you keep using cycle lanes, I'll not be joining you ;)

OK you keep using cycle lanes, I'll not be joining you ;)

I will! All the situations I pointed out are things I come across on a motorbike almost every day. I never had 1 dangerous situation in my time in bicycle lanes. I know from biker.ie that cars doing u-turns is a fairly common cause of crash. Had one myself passing on the right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Well the last time I was flat on my back with my bike on top of me was from the un-signaled u-turn with no observations from a van.

These days I stick to bus lanes and my filtering is cut to a minimum, normally between to lanes of traffic going the same direction.

Last time a garda spoke to me was for being in the cycle lane. He let me off but was very clear that it was not the place for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I will! All the situations I pointed out are things I come across on a motorbike almost every day. I never had 1 dangerous situation in my time in bicycle lanes. I know from biker.ie that cars doing u-turns is a fairly common cause of crash. Had one myself passing on the right

No one expects a motorbike in a cycle lane because it is illegal for motorbikes to use them. With the exception of cycle lanes marked with dotted lines. A lot of cycle lanes in Ireland also have very poor surface quality, good luck trying to stop when someone opens a car door a few meters in front of you.

But ignoring the safety aspect, it is illegal and the cops will do you for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I was filtering on the canal last October. Between two lines of traffic neither moving very fast or far. Going slow and loud, it was dark and pedestrians were weaving in between cars to cross the road. Fellow in a Punto saw me coming up in his mirror and either made space for me or was worried about his mirror and moved over. Ped flying up the bus lane wasn't prepared for this and slammed into the car.

Now looking at that accident two things are clear. A car isn't that prepared to cross or come close to the middle line, since that could mean a head on collision with another large vehicle. But pulling into a bike lane doesn't enter there heads as a negative things. They also don't check their inside mirrors on single lane roads. Seriously, they don't. Sit on the inside of cars watching them in their own mirror's. Never a glance.

As for the Ped driver, don't know and don't care. He shouldn't have been there, he shouldn't have been going so fast and he should have recognised that two cars and two bikes side by side means reduced roadspace for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

As I said before only would use it in 2 small sections occasionally one is along the canal where it is very narrow with no left turns and traffic is at a standstill - between leeson st bridge and the Barge - filtering there is dangerous and traffic at peak hour does not move. As I said I go slowly so that I can stop if needs be and do not go close to cyclists.
    This happened in Rathmines where you turn left and traffic stationery and you are automatically in bike lane- no left turns for 500m and will just go into traffic a good bit beforehand. Said cyclists sped up behind me about 100ms down and started tugging at me - pushing me in - I stopped - he went in front and blocked me- bus was outside so couldn't even get out into traffic. If I was speeding he would not have caught me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Del2005 wrote: »
    You only have to stay out of a cycle lane if it's got a solid line, broken line istOK. But cyclists have right of way in all cycle lanes.
    if you are enetering a lane traffic already in a lane has right of way - nothing special about cyclists there
    on any road you have to give cyclists plenty of room when overtaking (cycle lanes put cyclists at a disadvantage here !)
    macnab wrote: »
    you can use a cycle lane with a broken white line

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64413502

If it has a broken line then it's a cycle lane in name only. If there is no cycle lane, then you still have to yield to cyclists when you pull in in front of them, you still have to overtake by moving right etc. There are a lot of cycle lanes you can park in too. For all intents and purposes you can treat a dashed cycle lane as not existing, apart from driving continually in it when there is space to your right - but most Irish drivers hog the centre of the road anyway so again no change.

It's a legacy of the PD's

Mopeds and Segways are not allowed use a cycle lane with a solid white line.

Cyclist tried to push you off a bike, that's assault, if happens again talk to the Guards.

Red light - don't forget that an on path cycle lane to the left of a traffic light where the junction is a side road to the left would be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I think it's the opposite. Cars know bikes will be in the bike lane, but when cars are doing a left hander or u-turn they look ahead and never behind.
    As a cyclist, I can only wish this were true. Cycle lanes are quite often not safe for cyclists to be in, never mind anyone else.

Aside from that I don't particularly mind motorbikes in the cycle lane as long as they are half sensible about it (well apart from mopeds, they annoy me as they are quite often slower than I am).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

some cyclists are good .. most could had died had someone else not taken action to avoid their refusal to obey the rules of the road :eek:

And they think they are right, it what gets me .. breaking red lights okay for a cyclist ... not using a cycle lane where on is provided is okay ...

in town nearly crashed into one cycling across a red junction :mad:

in a car, they are much more aggressive .. kicking doors, hitting mirrors ... .. never had an issue on the motor bike though ..

tbh honest gardai really should do something .... at least stop them using bright flashing ligths (which i believe are only for stationary hazards)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

davoxx wrote: »
    not using a cycle lane where on is provided is okay ...
    Not using a cycle lane/track where the road is safer, is okay and is perfectly legal within the rules of the road. OK, ambiguously legal given that your primary duty of care on the road is to act in such a way that you do not present a danger to yourself or other road users. Most cycle tracks in this country are more dangerous than the road both because of the surface and because of how they interact with the road network.
    Yeah, nearly had the same thing myself, guy came from my right and nearly t-boned me at a crossroads when he'd had a red light for ages. So these bastards pose as much a danger to other cyclists as they do to everyone else.
    in a car, they are much more aggressive .. kicking doors, hitting mirrors ... .. never had an issue on the motor bike though ..
    I have never once seen or encountered a cyclist kicking off mirrors or kicking a car door. Heard of it, yeah, but never seen it. It would be my theory that if you manage to get a cyclist to the point that he kicks off a wing mirror or kicks in your car door, then you've done something really, really dangerous to make him that angry.

That said, I was driving down South Circular Road one day and came up behind a scumbag on a bike (wouldn't call him a cyclist), he was swerving all over the place, nearly put himself under my wheels, so I gave a beep and went around him. So he pedalled hell-for-leather to try and catch me. But didn't. So I imagine he might have done something to the car if he'd caught me, but then I wouldn't call him a cyclist, just your run-of-the-mill scumbag.
    tbh honest gardai really should do something .... at least stop them using bright flashing ligths (which i believe are only for stationary hazards)
    These lights are now legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

davoxx wrote: »
    some cyclists are good .. most could had died had someone else not taken action to avoid their refusal to obey the rules of the road :eek:
    Wrong.
    davoxx wrote:
    And they think they are right, it what gets me .. breaking red lights okay for a cyclist ... not using a cycle lane where on is provided is okay ...
    Lights obviously should be obeyed, but Irish cycle lanes are complete crap, plus this shows how much more likely you are to be in a collision due to being on a segregated cycle facility.
    davoxx wrote:
    Yep, they were an idiot for skipping the light.
    davoxx wrote:
    Wrong. One of the most common statements from motorists involved in a collision with either a bicycle or motorbike is that they 'came out of nowhere' or 'I didn't see them'. If a cyclist wants to use flashing lights to make them more visible, why exactly would you want to stop them?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

wow .. this is heated ...

but some of us should read the rules of the road ...

Cycle Tracks

A cycle track or lane is a reserved part of a roadway for bicycles (not motorcycles) and can be either:

* mandatory, or
    * non-mandatory.

A mandatory cycle track is bordered by a continuous white line on the righthand side. It is only for bicycles and motorised wheelchairs, so no other drivers may use it or park in it.

A non-mandatory cycle track has a broken white line on the right-hand side. The cyclist may leave this type of cycle track if:

* they have already indicated they want to change direction,
    * a bus is letting passengers on or off at a bus stop located beside the track, or
    * a vehicle is parked in the track while loading or unloading (see Section 10).

Mandatory cycle tracks are reserved 24 hours a day, unless an upright information sign at the start of and/or the side of the track shows another period of time.

A cycle track can also be a reserved part of a footpath or other area off the road. A cyclist must use a cycle track if it is provided.

If a cycle track is two-way, meaning bicycles travelling in opposite directions at the same time can use it, cyclists should stay as near as possible to the left-hand side of their track.

You must obey cycle track lights.

Advertisement