Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

White smoke smell of petrol and knocking

• 10-01-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

My 02 focus has white smoke coming from the exhaust and the engine is makeing a knocking noise and my oil was very low it is full now as i have filled it up.

Any ideas what it could be ?

Comments

engine is makeing a knocking noise

Jehovah trapped under the bonnet :pac:

Seriously though, low oil means it either leaked or burnt it, knocking could well be the bottom end due to oil starvation and white smoke is generally coolant being burnt off, is your coolant level ok ?

If coolant is low I reckon it's the HG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How low was the oil? Did your oil pressure warning light come on? How far did you drive like this? How's your coolant level?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I had white smoke and knocking in my first car, and my head gasket had gone. Not sure if that's typical 'symptoms' of head gasket failure, but that's what happened to me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

open the oil cap and check the colour of the oil on the cap.

if its a yellowey mustard colour its your head gasket.

whats the engine idle like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I cant check the car on till later on this evening so im not sure what the coolent level is like but i think it is ok the car had being loseing oil as i had to keep it toped up the oil light would come on the odd time on a roundabout or a sharp turn but when it start knocking i stoped the car and got a tow truck to bring it home

It knocks when it is idle and the knocking gets faster if you rev the car

• Advertisement

is the idle itself lumpy when its cold, ie does it sound like a subaru impreza?

if you've got yellow goop under your oil lid its deffo your HG

I made this vedio of the noise of the engine the other day ps the video is crap but you can hear the sound of it idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdxD73MliVs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's not good OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

christ on a bike! turn it off!!!!

i dont have much of an idea but it really doesnt sound well :eek:

sounds like head gasket and big end bearing and or timing is off and a piston is hitting a valve.

might be a write off, you're easily looking at circa 1500 yoyos to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Eeeh, that sounds pretty bad. Big ends at least I'd say. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

that doesnt sound good at all...maybe new engine time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I made this vedio of the noise of the engine the other day ps the video is crap but you can hear the sound of it idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdxD73MliVs
    New engine mate:( Make sure you look after the new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

there's a technical term for that: It's f*cked!

Does not sound good at all.

Does any one no would i be better of trying to get what ever is broken in side the engine fixed or geting a used enginge from a scrap yard ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Does any one no would i be better of trying to get what ever is broken in side the engine fixed or geting a used enginge from a scrap yard ?
    That engine's finished - sounds to me like it's been driven without oil. It'll be far cheaper to replace than to rebuild.

burning that much oil, possible head gasket failure and whatevers causing that noise is probably terminal.

bin that engine, unless you want to be spending well up and over a grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, next time check the oil regularly. That sounds nasty, and it's hard to kill a Focus.

Would have thought a focus ofthat year would have an oil light?????

Would have thought a focus ofthat year would have an oil light?????

it does, he said it flickered occasionally :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement