Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking Fillet Steak

Options
  • 10-01-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭

Like most of us here I've had this out a few times and have been tempted to try it myself but with it being an expensive cut I really dont want to ruin it. I have thought of using the George Forman but am I cheating by doing this and is it all that hard to get this steak cooked to a good medium at home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭meemeep

cooked it last night - was on special in dunnes. All I did was heat a griddle pan till it was very hot - put olive oil and black pepper on the steaks - sealed each side for 2 mins on the very hot pan, then cooked for 5-7 mins on a lower temp - then left to rest in a warm oven ( on a plate covered with tin foil) for 10 mins or so. melt in the mouth! Cooking time depends on your taste - I like mine medium rare (pink on inside).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jesus christ, if you don't want to ruin it I wouldn't put it within 20 feet of a George forman.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

meemeep wrote: »
    cooked it last night - was on special in dunnes. All I did was heat a griddle pan till it was very hot - put olive oil and black pepper on the steaks - sealed each side for 2 mins on the very hot pan, then cooked for 5-7 mins on a lower temp - then left to rest in a warm oven ( on a plate covered with tin foil) for 10 mins or so. melt in the mouth! Cooking time depends on your taste - I like mine medium rare (pink on inside).

Agree completely, its the only way to cook steak! I assume you mean 5-7 minutes on lower temp in the oven?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I heat up the pan to the hottest it will go. Have the steak at room temperature before you cook it.

I put a little salt and black pepper onto the steak, and throw the steak on the pan. I sear it each side for a few seconds, and then leave it on the pan for 4 minutes a side for medium rare, and then onto a hot plate.

I'd recommend the aldi fillet steaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

MarkR wrote: »
    I heat up the pan to the hottest it will go. Have the steak at room temperature before you cook it.

I put a little salt and black pepper onto the steak, and throw the steak on the pan. I sear it each side for a few seconds, and then leave it on the pan for 4 minutes a side for medium rare, and then onto a hot plate.

I'd recommend the aldi fillet steaks.

agree. 4 mins a side for your average 8oz steak gives perfect medium rare every time. Make sure pan is hot to get flavour on outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

Right George is out then, so it should be fairly straight forward.

While we're talking, any suggestions on what to accompany it and a sauce?

Mushroom/Pepper sauce - make in advance.

2 large Spanish onions finely sliced
    Punnett mushrooms - I use brown for flavour
    Beef stock
    Cream
    Salt & black pepper
    Butter

Put the sliced onions in a wide bottomed heavy pot with about a cm butter cut off a block,drop of oil to stop butter burning and a good bit of pepper. Turn to a low heat and put the lid on. These will need to cook for a good 20-30 mins until lightly browned and begining to caramelise.

When onions are done slice the mushrooms and add to the pot. Lid on. Heat low. Cook untill the shrooms are well sweated down.

Using a half stock cube make up about half pint if stock. Pour into pot and cook for about 10th mins to reduce

At this point add the cream - as much or as little as u want depending on preference. cook for a few minutes.

Blend sauce with hand blender in pot so it is a smooth sauce. Add extra salt pepper to taste.

Leave to be reheated later. When steaks are cooked add pan juices to sauce for flavour.

My standard accompniments are tender stem brocolli, asparsgus and creamy mash potato made with propper butter!

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Fillet steak is all we eat. I rather a small good quality piece of meat than a big lump that takes over half the plate.

We always put on salt and pepper, seal in the pan and tranfer to the oven to finish.

I have a recipe for homemade pepper sauce i must fish out to serve with it.

My other favour is mustard mashed potato !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Check out this thread for all you wanted to know about cooking steak & accompanying sauces, etc.

HB

• Advertisement
Advertisement