Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulsating object in the eastern sky

Options
  • 10-01-2011 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey there I live in Toronto Canada and I have been seeing an odd pulsating light in the eastern sky. It seems to be pulsing at a regular rate and with colours ranging from red, orange, blue, and green. I have no idea what this object is but it certainly doesn't seem like a normal star. It seems to be moving with the backdrop of space but it's very peculiar. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dublin_daveyboy

Philous wrote: »
    Hey there I live in Toronto Canada and I have been seeing an odd pulsating light in the eastern sky. It seems to be pulsing at a regular rate and with colours ranging from red, orange, blue, and green. I have no idea what this object is but it certainly doesn't seem like a normal star. It seems to be moving with the backdrop of space but it's very peculiar. Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Hey,thats the star Sirius i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Philous

Hey,thats the star Sirius i think.

I just heard that from someone today! How cool is that... I have never known it to twinkle with such brilliant colours. It's must be the time of the year and possibly the effect of a colder denser atmosphere in the winter. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dublin_daveyboy

I just heard that from someone today! How cool is that... I have never known it to twinkle with such brilliant colours. It's must be the time of the year and possibly the effect of a colder denser atmosphere in the winter. Thanks for the reply.

No probs,yeah sirius is spectacular this time of year.in case your wondering the stars just above to the right of sirius is the orion constellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

It could be venus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Plug wrote: »
    It could be venus.
    If it's showing colours then it wouldn't be Venus, only stars twinkle like that, due to them being a point source of light (because of their enormous distance from us).
    The planets have a reasonable angular size so any refraction through the atmosphere is averaged out and they don't twinkle (especially Venus). :)

It probably is Sirius as it is quite spectacular in the south east after it rises around 19:30.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Philous

If it's showing colours then it wouldn't be Venus, only stars twinkle like that, due to them being a point source of light (because of their enormous distance from us).
    The planets have a reasonable angular size so any refraction through the atmosphere is averaged out and they don't twinkle (especially Venus). :)

It probably is Sirius as it is quite spectacular in the south east after it rises around 19:30.

Ya that's about the time it rose. It's even more spectacular up north. Cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Ya that's about the time it rose. It's even more spectacular up north. Cool :D
    Yeah saw it there Saturday night for the first time ages, also i got a lock at the Orion nebulae, andromada and few other things.

Advertisement