Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pope condems blasphemy laws

• 10-01-2011 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

Pope condems blasphemy laws after Pakistan use Ireland's blasphemy law as an example to the UN that defamation of religion should be part of international law.
    http://newswhip.ie/national-2/pontiff-condemns-blasphemy-laws-and-calls-for-religious-freedom
    The pope has condemned laws making blasphemy a crime and called for their repeal, saying they serve as a pretext for violence against religious minorities.
    In a speech to ambassadors, the head of the world’s smallest state, the Vatican State City, said religious freedom was a fundamental human right and should be protected in law.
    Pakistan’s blasphemy laws carry a death sentence for insulting Islam, and last week a regional governor, Salman Taseer, was assassinated for saying the laws should be repealed, as reported by NewsWhip.
    Ireland’s blasphemy laws has fallen into disuse since the 1960s, and were effectively declared unenforceable by the Supreme Court in the 1990s, shortly after the Law Reform Commission called for a constitutional amendment to remove them from Bunreacht na hÉireann.
    But justice minister Dermot Ahern revived the laws in the Defamation Act 2009, with a potential €25,000 fine for anyone who publishes or utters “matter that is grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters held sacred by any religion, thereby causing outrage among a substantial number of the adherents of that religion.”
    Pakistan subsequently led a group of Islamic states who used the Irish law as an example in arguing that the United Nations should recognnise “defamation of religions” in international law.
    Pope says something helpful...wait...what?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Even the pope thinks we're backwards, how embarrassing

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FF in "even more retarded than the Pope" shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Thank you Minister Ahern. ..... cúnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wonder if dermy ahern ever played golf with any saudi's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

What the fcuk possessed Dermot Ahern to introduce this legislation in the first place. We are so complacent in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

What the fcuk possessed Dermot Ahern to introduce this legislation in the first place.

The constitution. Try reading it without getting annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What the fcuk possessed Dermot Ahern to introduce this legislation in the first place. We are so complacent in this country.

Perhaps it was something to do with certain folk in the world who were deliberately stirring up trouble resulting in deaths and large financial losses and he didn't fancy sitting back watching Irish citizens being murdered because some chancer back here decided to get smart? It's not ideal but I can see the reasoning behind it. It's a reminder that with a certain freedom of speech comes certain responsibilities.

First Post wrote: »

Indeed. History here, including some quite odd distinctions on the part of the Irish government between blasphemy and "defamation of religion".

Perhaps the difference is that the 2009 act includes mens rea, so if you do not intend to cause outrage you're not guilty under current Irish law.

I'm not quite sure how that works in practice, presumably there is some sliding scale of "acting the maggot" with a line drawn somewhere arbitrarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

He could have removed it from the constitution by tacking it onto the next vote as a referendum instead of actually demanding that it be enforced.

The Supreme Court says it unenforceable so he decides to enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

He could of tried to introduce legislation to repeal such references in the constitution by referendum if necessary but oh no he chose to uphold it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

biko wrote: »
    Yeah but '.........R HAS SCORED 34 GOALS IN 92 APPEARANCES FOR THE CANADIAN SENIOR WOMEN'S SIDE'!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

gurramok wrote: »
    He could of tried to introduce legislation to repeal such references in the constitution by referendum if necessary but oh no he chose to uphold it.

Oh I agree completely, but Fianna Fail are first and foremost a populist party. Removing it would annoy the old people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

prinz wrote: »
    Perhaps it was something to do with certain folk in the world who were deliberately stirring up trouble resulting in deaths and large financial losses and he didn't fancy sitting back watching Irish citizens being murdered because some chancer back here decided to get smart? It's not ideal but I can see the reasoning behind it. It's a reminder that with a certain freedom of speech comes certain responsibilities.

Not being smart, but i have absolutely no idea what you mean! How does this law protect Irish citizens from the dreaded death by smart chancer? Or from anything else for that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Pope condems blasphemy laws after Pakistan use Ireland's blasphemy law as an example to the UN that defamation of religion should be part of international law.
    http://newswhip.ie/national-2/pontiff-condemns-blasphemy-laws-and-calls-for-religious-freedom
    Pope says something helpful...wait...what?

Ah yes but he's only condemning the law because it protects the Muslim faith. If all the blasphemy and dissent was aimed at the RC church he'd agree with the law.

Not being smart, but i have absolutely no idea what you mean! How does this law protect Irish citizens from the dreaded death by smart chancer? Or from anything else for that matter?

For example:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4684652.stm

Now, I'm not advocating giving in to what amounts to blackmail, but like I said such a law does remind us that the so-called freedom of speech can be abused. It's also worded in such a way to be virtually unusable in practice IMO.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Ah yes but he's only condemning the law because it protects the Muslim faith. If all the blasphemy and dissent was aimed at the RC church he'd agree with the law.

Actually it protects them all.

Edit: Ours anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Does it protect those of no faith?

For example:

Now, I'm not advocating giving in to what amounts to blackmail, but like I said such a law does remind us that the so-called freedom of speech can be abused. It's also worded in such a way to be virtually unusable in practice IMO.
    The cartoons would have been allowed for their artistic merit

gurramok wrote: »
    Does it protect those of no faith?

Perhaps you should look up blasphemy. Can someone of no faith be blasphemed?

Edit: By the way it's contained within the Defamation Act which applies to all, so you're safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Perhaps Canon law is next on his list.

Yes I am aware of that, I didn't say otherwise in my post.

The cartoons would have been allowed for their artistic merit

That's great. Did anyone say otherwise? I used it as an example of what deliberate blasphemy could result in.

Yes I am aware of that, I didn't say otherwise in my post.

Implied. There is plenty that could be described as 'blasphemous' against the RCC out there.

For example:

I think the real villains in this story weren't the cartoonist or the newspaper editor! We already have laws against murder and arson and so on.
    A blasphemy law is idiotic in this day and age. It's an embarrasment to this country and should be abandoned.

Edit: Ours anyway.
    Implied. There is plenty that could be described as 'blasphemous' against the RCC out there.

In my initial post I acknowledged that the law protects the RC church, have a look at the emboldened part of my quote. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭eamo12

So, under Irish law drafted by Ahern, could I be imprisoned of drawing a picture of Mohammed with a bomb fuse as a turban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oh I agree completely, but Fianna Fail are first and foremost a populist party. Removing it would annoy the old people.

Even the old folks have had a gutful at this stage, and were only pretending to go with the flow to avoid a good whipping like they had when the local priest used to knock the sense out of them years ago.

I think the real villains in this story weren't the cartoonist or the newspaper editor! We already have laws against murder and arson and so on..

Of course they weren't. However actions have consequences... and if someone set out to deliberately stir up that kind of reaction again I'd be happier that something could be done about it.
    A blasphemy law is idiotic in this day and age. It's an embarrasment to this country and should be abandoned.

Most countries cannot say anything, almost all have laws that could be considered an embarrassment by someone.

• Advertisement

Of course they weren't. However actions have consequences... and if someone set out to deliberately stir up that kind of reaction again I'd be happier that something could be done about it..

That's called appeasement, it doesn't work. What should be done is educate people in tolerance, not ban the expression of opposing views!

Most countries cannot say anything, almost all have laws that could be considered an embarrassment by someone.

That doesn't make it right.

eamo12 wrote: »
    So, under Irish law drafted by Ahern, could I be imprisoned of drawing a picture of Mohammed with a bomb fuse as a turban?

Technically yes. In reality probably not.

That's called appeasement, it doesn't work. What should be done is educate people in tolerance, not ban the expression of opposing views!

Opposing views are fine. Opposing views are rarely blasphemous. Can you understand the difference between having an opposing view than somebody else and defaming/slandering/libelling them?

Opposing views are fine. Opposing views are rarely blasphemous. Can you understand the difference between having an opposing view than somebody else and defaming/slandering/libelling them?

Boards trolling 101:

"You are an idiot" = LOSE
    "Your views are those of an idiot" = WIN

That's great. Did anyone say otherwise? I used it as an example of what deliberate blasphemy could result in.
    Do you think art should be censored then?

Do you think art should be censored then?

I believe people should have the cop on to censor themselves from time to time.

• Advertisement

Of course i can, defamation, slander, libel etc all involve the telling of lies.

Explain to me how blasphemy works and how it's in anyway related?

I'm not allowed to say "x" about something you "believe" to be true, even though i also fully believe what i'm saying. I'm not lying, i just don't share your beliefs cos i've never seen a shred of evidence to back them up. I see no reason to show reverence to what i believe in my heart of hearts to be an imaginary figure.

Personaly speaking, i would be far more upset at someone saying bruce springsteen was a crap songwriter, than i would by a drawing of mohammed being analy raped by budha. No one would suggest making it illegal to mock bruce. (though of course it should be!)
    I'm a big boy, people can question what i believe as much as they like. Infact if they make their points well i might even change what i believe and thank them for it. No belief system should be protected, if it's a worth a damn it will withstand questioning and mockery and so on.

I believe people should have the cop on to censor themselves from time to time.
    "Cop on" a very subjective rule though, when does taking a stand end and being stupid about it begin?

So is it OK to say that Jesus is an arsehole now then?

Of course i can, defamation, slander, libel etc all involve the telling of lies. Explain to me how blasphemy works and how it's in anyway related?

Intent. Simples.
    I'm not allowed to say "x" about something you "believe" to be true, even though i also fully believe what i'm saying. I'm not lying, i just don't share your beliefs cos i've never seen a shred of evidence to back them up. I see no reason to show reverence to what i believe in my heart of hearts to be an imaginary figure.

That's great and you can be as irreverent as you like, more power to you. There is a line somewhere however where your goal to be irreverent about X because you don't believe X strays into the territory of you being irreverent about X just to get a rise out of someone else.
    Personaly speaking, i would be far more upset at someone saying bruce springsteen was a crap songwriter, than i would by a drawing of mohammed being analy raped by budha. No one would suggest making it illegal to mock bruce. (though of course it should be!)

..and you're entitled to that opinion and entitled to get upset. Did that person say Bruce Springsteen was a crap songwriter, not because it is their objective opinion.. but because they knew it would upset you? If the former, then they have the right to that opinion. If the latter then they are just being an arse.
    I'm a big boy, people can question what i believe as much as they like. Infact if they make their points well i might even change what i believe and thank them for it. No belief system should be protected, if it's a worth a damn it will withstand questioning and mockery and so on.

Again to an extent I agree but it comes down to the intent of the people doing it tbh. Questioning, satire and mockery can be done well, and can be hilarious when done the right way. Poking a bear with a stick on the other hand isn't clever.

That's the difference between sharing your opinion and incitement to hatred.

"Cop on" a very subjective rule though, when does taking a stand end and being stupid about it begin?

...and there's the great grey zone that makes the legislation basically uselss as I have already said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

With **** like the Blasphemy law, I wonder what the rest of the world thinks of Ireland?

Also is there a formal way to have your citizenship removed?

Intent. Simples..
    Too simple i think. I don't know what the intention of that cartoonist was, but i do know for certain what the intention of the gunmen/arsonists and so on were. It's people like that we need protection from, not bloody cartoonists! We need protection from them and from the system that breeds them ie militant religion of any creed, banning upsetting them is not the answer, people like that will always find something else to be upset about. There may well be a case to argue for the mandatory teaching of tolerance in schools all across the world, but not for the slavish observance of, in my opinion, ridiculous values.

That's the difference between sharing your opinion and incitement to hatred.

How much religion is incitement to hatred? Surely i should be entitled to love or hate whatever i want based on my experience of the world? And to be able to tell people how i feel? I'm not saying people should be advocating the hatred of any group, but accepting or questioning ANY set of values should be for the individual to decide, not a matter for legislation. A belief can not be defamed, it is ONLY a belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I've seen people use this as an excuse for ahern(and I'm not suggesting you're doing that) but I just don't buy it.

Why couldn't he just have slapped a maximum fine of one euro on it?

Good on the pope. Now when we get a referendum on it the only opposition will be that MPAC muslim nut crowd.

Too simple i think. I don't know what the intention of that cartoonist was, but i do know for certain what the intention of the gunmen/arsonists and so on were. It's people like that we need protection from, not bloody cartoonists!

..and as you said already there are laws to deal with them.
    I'm not saying people should be advocating the hatred of any group, but accepting or questioning ANY set of values should be for the individual to decide, not a matter for legislation. A belief can not be defamed, it is ONLY a belief.

So anti-semitism gets your green light does it? Can you honestly not appreciate the difference between having a differing of opinion and setting out to deliberately antagonize people? Some people carry their belief's close to heart by the way. Perhaps you can't grasp that at all but there you go. You can't decide your skin colour but you can decide your beliefs, why should one be protected and not the other which you have more of a say in as an individual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭2011abc

Wasnt the painting of birthday boy , Brian Cowen depicting his genitals , much of the motivation behind this embarassing legislation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Craebear wrote: »
    With **** like the Blasphemy law, I wonder what the rest of the world thinks of Ireland?
    I find it hard to say. Unless other countries do something horrendous (like Iran's Blasphemy Law and killings) nobody pays much attention. I haven't heard anything about the connection to Irish Law. But I haven't been listening that hard either.
    Also is there a formal way to have your citizenship removed?
    By seeking Citizenship in another country. Dual-Citizenship is a separate process to that. Regular Citizenship process removes your original citizenship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Selected

What the fcuk possessed Dermot Ahern to introduce this legislation in the first place.

Diplomatic pressure exerted by the ADL to reign in Tommy Tiernan – Ahern, like RTE, buckled under the pressure. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Now when we get a referendum on it the only opposition will be that MPAC muslim nut crowd.
    if there were a referendum on this, Coir/Youth Defence, Patricia McKenna David Quinn and the Joe Duffy Fan Club would be shrilly and incoherently involved. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Why couldn't he just have slapped a maximum fine of one euro on it?

Or simply require that the offended deity give evidence in the case.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Dermot ahern is such an embarassment. Such an thing to get us tied up in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement