Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The difference between "t" and "th", is it so difficult????

• 10-01-2011 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

So far today i have either heard or read the following(mainly read, and on here, which makes it worse...

"I will be trilled" it's THRILLED!
    "Seal their faith" Seal their FATE!
    "That thrumps all the others" TRUMPS!!!!!
    and of course the classic..
    "I have a sore troath" THROAT!!!!!!!!

It does my head in! Surely it's not that (or should I say "tath") difficult?????

and then i go and spell "between" wrong in the thread title.... assmonkey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

summerskin wrote: »
    So far to day i have either heard or read the following(mainly read, and on here, which makes it worse...

When did 'today' become two words?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Caught that myself too, but thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Since I became a terrible typist.

Better "thread carefully" OP or there'll be people posting about what they were "thought" in school

• Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

Always remember to use correct grammar and spelling when correcting other people. Otherwise you end up looking like a tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Not heigth, height.

And they're pronounced Tailand and Tems, not Thailand and Thames.

I'm sure this 'tread' has been done already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Ticko's..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Correct and it is pronounced Toomond Park rugby commentators. Get it right.

I heard the writer Ken Bruin on the radio this morning referring to Rothweiler dogs. After all the care he took to pronounce the 'w' as a 'v'. Shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

The effort of going to the other thread was not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Thrilled and Fate I can understand....but throat,its a bit foolish to get that wrong and I'm terrible at spelling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

So... OP doesn't really like accents then... jaysus... he'd hate talking with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Irish_wolf

I never even knew we Oirish had this problem until I went on a trip to amsterdam earlier in the year. While walking around with a dutch friend of mine I was saying I 'tink' so or we should do 'dis' or 'dat'. It was only later in the pub when he said it took him a while to figure out what the hell I was saying.

Made me very aware of it every time I said it afterwards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

So far today i have either heard or read the following(mainly read, and on here, which makes it worse...

It does my head in! Surely it's not that (or should I say "tath") difficult?????

It's now worse than reading your post; replete as it is with errors of style, grammar and typography.

Correct usage of English is as important in the written form as in the spoken form.

Possibly the difficulty comes from not pronouncing the 'h' in 'th'. I was asked if I had some 'tin plywood' today. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Irish_wolf wrote: »
    I never even knew we Oirish had this problem until I went on a trip to amsterdam earlier in the year. While walking around with a dutch friend of mine I was saying I 'tink' so or we should do 'dis' or 'dat'. It was only later in the pub when he said it took him a while to figure out what the hell I was saying.

Made me very aware of it every time I said it afterwards...

Weird, Dutch people generally pronounce 'th' as 'd'.
    Condatis wrote: »
    It's now worse than reading your post; replete as it is with errors of style, grammar and typography.

Correct usage of English is as important in the written form as in the spoken form.

Whereas it wasn't previously? Semi-colon fail for you, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Condatis wrote: »

Incorrect usage seems to be contagious...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

It's bad english, but I heard worser.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Well he was half dutch half german so I dunno. Most of the dutch people I talked to had the whole I fink so thing going. Perhaps they were from a different part of the Netherlands presumably their accents are as varied there as they are across Ireland.

Whereas it wasn't previously? Semi-colon fail for you, too.
    No we don't. 'Th' is pronounced 't', the name Theo is pronounced Teo, or 'thee' (tea) is pronounced 'tee'. (tay)
    F#ck it, we're Irish:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well he was half dutch half german
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: f#ckin traitor:p

Johro wrote: »
    No we don't. 'Th' is pronounced 't', the name Theo is pronounced Teo, or 'thee' (tea) is pronounced 'tee'. (tay)

There are two 'th' sounds in English - the thing one and the then one. It's fairly obvous I'm referring to the latter.

Well he was half dutch half german so I dunno. Most of the dutch people I talked to had the whole I fink so thing going. Perhaps they were from a different part of the Netherlands presumably their accents are as varied there as they are across Ireland.
    I fink yor fool of doodoo.

There are two 'th' sounds in English - the thing one and the then one. It's fairly obvous I'm referring to the latter.
    Fair enough, looked like you were referring to Dutch words beginning with 'th'. Which would be pronounced 't'. My bad. I'll take the fifty lashes and carry on regardless. We're hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Reminded me of this which I came across recently on the aul Facebook!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Brgp2qd2At8/TSszxxfH9BI/AAAAAAAABEk/z-zRvyKKAFg/trout%20infection.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Today I saw an English guy on TV pronounce the word "car" and he didn't pronounce the R!

It sounded like he said "caw" !

I was shocked and outraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

In before the turty-tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'm from the south east of England, so I am as likely to say "fanks" or "free" as an Irishman is to say "tanks" or "tree", but that is just an accent thing. Not knowing the difference between taught and thought is tickness, or is it fickness.

I'm from the south east of England, so I am as likely to say "fanks" or "free" as an Irishman is to say "tanks" or "tree", but that is just an accent thing. Not knowing the difference between taught and thought is tickness, or is it fickness.

Sarfeast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Alias G

People in from a variety of geographical locations will have a variety of accents....get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Originally Posted by Condatis

Correct usage of English is as important in the written form as in the spoken form
    Incorrect usage seems to be contagious...

That's the 'Dort' enunciation don't you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'll give you a good trashing! :mad:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Sarfeast?

Near Lahndan, innit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

In before the turty-tree.

and a turd.

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Today I saw an English guy on TV pronounce the word "car" and he didn't pronounce the R!

It sounded like he said "caw" !

I was shocked and outraged.
    :D
    Cockneys don't pronounce their l's or r's, they seem to become w's, as in milk becoming 'miwk' , talk becoming tawk and things like footbaww, Miwwwaww (Millwall:D), gehw (girl), and 'get out'a da facking cahw!'
    Strangely, 'the law' seems to involve an 'r'.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

bbk wrote: »
    and a turd.
    Richard the Third or Dick the Sh!t?:D

I taut i taw a puddytat..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's both from dropping aitches and the fear of dropping them and appearing "common". Dis and dat in the former case and Height(h) and throat(h) in the latter. Their and they're etc is common enough around here. One that really grinds my gears and seems to be a regular one on Boards is "then" instead of "than". IE "I'm cooler then you". What's weird about that one is it's usually smart people doing it. :confused:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Fair enough, looked like you were referring to Dutch words beginning with 'th'. Which would be pronounced 't'. My bad. I'll take the fifty lashes and carry on regardless. We're hardy.

Keihard, jongen.

Feck, I passed the tousand mark in posts and never even noticed til now:eek:
    Tick or what? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Keihard, jongen.
    You know it.;)

Sarfeast?
    Awwigh'?:D

Near Lahndan, innit.

Ear, I fought you wuz fwum portsmuff?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Next on After Hours - the "I took/I brought" controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Ray Darcy is always doing that.. I cant bear to listen to him..

Ear, I fought you wuz fwum portsmuff?:confused:

I was born in Portsmuff mush, grew up near slough or sluff as we call it.

I think at one stage they were spelled to-day and to-morrow.

I have a theory that the reason Irish people are so bad at pronouncing the "th" sound is because there is no equivalent sound in the Irish language.

I was born in Portsmuff mush, grew up near slough or sluff as we call it.

That's where the Brummies go for dancing lessons "slough, slough, quick quick, slough"

:o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have a theory that the reason Irish people are so bad at pronouncing the "th" sound is because there is no equivalent sound in the Irish language.
    Really? I would have thought that there are less examples of a hard T than a soft T(th). Irish speakers help me out here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement