Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork wins Litter Title Northside worse

Options
  • 10-01-2011 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭

So the latest litter reports puts Cork almost last place making us the winners of the most littered City and the Northside is wins for more litter again.

Good news is there are no blackspots anywhere in the City so the black spot medal is still up for grabs.

As I remember the last report coincided with a City Manager scheme to make legal litter disposal even more expensive and difficult and the black bag campaign was raging especially in the Northside.

I'm disappointed though, as I was looking forward to driving around with the camera and picturing all the beauty spots, erm, black spots, having them published in De Echa and having Prenderville giving out yards and all of Knocka, Churf, Hollhill, Mafiafiled marching down to burn down the station.

Oh Happy Daz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

You're spelling, grammar & syntax suggest you're a fully fledged Norrie yourself my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Prendeville won't be giving out. He has is own little black spots to sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

trebormurf wrote: »
    You're spelling, grammar & syntax suggest you're a fully fledged Norrie yourself my friend.

EXCELLENT, thank you very much. :)

Rosicky7 wrote: »
    Prendeville won't be giving out. He has is own little black spots to sort out.

I know, but we don't a Joe Duffy and PJ is, well, youknow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

What about YOUR grammar? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Back to the topic, from my time in Cork I have realised that there aren't half rubbish bins in and around the city centre.

There isn't one bin if you walk around Merchant's Quay-Brian Boru Bridge-St Patrick's Quay-Patrick's Bridge! I could go on, actually I could make a google map about it! With a lot of duck eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Eh...tongue in cheek...fully fledged Norrie myself like!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Back to the topic, from my time in Cork I have realised that there aren't half rubbish bins in and around the city centre.

There isn't one bin if you walk around Merchant's Quay-Brian Boru Bridge-St Patrick's Quay-Patrick's Bridge! I could go on, actually I could make a google map about it! With a lot of duck eggs!

perhaps you are right but why can't anyone take their litter home or keep it in their pockets until they find a bin. It's a lame excuse to say there aren't enough bins, those who use that excuse are the same ones expecting things to be done for them by the council, the State, anyone but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

It's a lame excuse to say there aren't enough bins, .

Way back in the days that I worked for the Northside/Souhtside news I did a little story on litter with pictures on North Main Street.

At the time there were several bins there and they had been upgraded to twin bins. Now delivering the paper I was around at regular and consistent times, and I noticed how the bins facing Shandon Street were always bulging with litter and the ones facing the 'southside' were almost always empty.

So I wrote a little story on what appeared that the people coming down Shandon street seemingly deposited their rubbish but not the reverse, or did that mean that only Northside people came through the street.

Well it turns out, after a bit of investigative journalism :) that the Cork Corporation had added in twin bins but the corporation worker was working to whatever rule union men work to and only emptied his regular bins and left the new bins full.

Now who'd have thought that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

perhaps you are right but why can't anyone take their litter home or keep it in their pockets until they find a bin. It's a lame excuse to say there aren't enough bins, those who use that excuse are the same ones expecting things to be done for them by the council, the State, anyone but themselves.

Oh I agree with you there, thats how I found out that there was no bins at the location I mentioned, I walked around and ended up back on Patrick Street to find a bin to use. I've no problem holding on to rubbish until I find a bin.

The unfortunate thing is that people are idiots and slobs, so thats who I'm thinking of, when I'm saying there isn't enough bins.

gbee wrote: »
    ......... I did a little story on litter with pictures on North Main Street.

At the time there were several bins there and they had been upgraded to twin bins. Now delivering the paper I was around at regular and consistent times, and I noticed how the bins facing Shandon Street were always bulging with litter and the ones facing the 'southside' were almost always empty.

So I wrote a little story on what appeared that the people coming down Shandon street seemingly deposited their rubbish but not the reverse, or did that mean that only Northside people came through the street.

As the bins were on the North Main Street did you not consider that folks heading back to Shandon Street did the littering and those heading back to the South Side used the bins.

An equally looney theory to yours but the other side of a looney coin. I can't believe they printed that story anyway :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Im sure the Waterloo steps could romp home with the Black Medal...

RoverJames wrote: »
    An equally looney theory to yours but the other side of a looney coin. I can't believe they printed that story anyway :pac:

We did explore a few options and it got a great reaction. Especially the following week with the update that the Corporation were only emptying one bin. BTW, after City Hall got the story ~ all bins were emptied.

Of course today they have a different way of handling this situation ~~ No Bins At All Fo ANYONE. :)

Advertisement