Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Working 18 Month Visa Query

Options
  • 10-01-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone would know the following regarding the eligibility for the US Working 18 Month Visa - must the 12 months' work experience be gained after one graduates from their degree, or can it be accumulated before/during the degree once it relates to the degree's field?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I haven't heard of this visa, do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

http://www.go4less.ie/usa-work-visa/career-training-visa.asp

I since emailed the rep about it, but she ignored my main query about the 12 months experience and just said it had to be related to my field, so I'm assuming it's ok.

UPDATE: She responded today and said you must be qualified with a degree and 1 year full time exp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

hmm thats interesting i didnt know about this 18 month one i could probably swing the one year experience just about if it dosnt have to be all at once or all after graduation i worked in my field on and off before going to college for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The 18 month is a bit more flexible (and expensive of course). It's less tied to your degree, meaning you don't need one (as long as you have sufficient experience) and if you have one, you don't have a limited time after graduating to get this visa.

There's more information at Intrax Internships and Sayit.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

PeakOutput wrote: »
    hmm thats interesting i didnt know about this 18 month one i could probably swing the one year experience just about if it dosnt have to be all at once or all after graduation i worked in my field on and off before going to college for it

It has to be at least a one year full time plus the college qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Or five years experience without college qualification. I suppose the link from the US Exchange Program Website would be more useful.

Megglz wrote: »
    It has to be at least a one year full time plus the college qualification.

ye i could definitely wing that alright

elated work experience in his or her occupational field outside the United States

ah that bit will disqualify all my experience in this field would be in the states already. my employer will sponsor my green card but they say its a pain in the ass and they would rather not do it, hence entering the lotto and trying to get there as much as i can and maybe meet the girl of my dreams and marry her before im forced to force them to sponsor me

Advertisement