Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science UCD - Subject Choice On CAO

• 10-01-2011 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about the way this works. If you choose, for example, Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences does that mean that is the module you will automatically be put in, or is it just so they have an idea of the number of people who want to do each module? I'm curious because they didn't ask last year and I don't want to make up my mind on modules yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yeah if you choose that (and get it) that will be the degree you do.

Modules are classes you do as part of a degree. You do 12 modules a year split over 2 semesters. Some modules are called core modules and you have to them. For example, I do the Physics with astronomy degree so I have 5 core modules this year that I'm pre-registered for.

Then theres option modules where you're given a list of modules that you can select to do. Rules apply to what you can pick. As I had 5 core modules already, I selected another 5 from the option modules.

Then finally theres elective modules that you can pick from within your degree program or from anywhere else in UCD. You pick 2. So you could like do the Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences degree and then opt to do a module or two in history or French or whatever you like.

If you do the omnibus Science program, I think you select 2 streams of degrees you'd like to do after 2nd year. So if you did Omnibus science and selected to do streams like Biological, Biomedical and Biomolecular Sciences and Zoology, you'd do the modules for those degrees and then pick one to continue after 2nd year. I THINK, I don't do omnibus so maybe someone else could confirm that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Didn't know this was in for Science. Basically, if you put the subjects in come registration you will be automatically registered in those subjects. You can do other modules which will be your option modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

If you choose DN200 BBB (think it's DN200) then you will automatically be gauranteed a place in the biological, biomedical and biomolecular sciences modules. This means you can get a degree in whatever that offers (I can't remember the entire list, I know it's stuff like neuroscience, zoology, etc).

If you pick DN200 and don't put in BBB, or CCS and whatever the other one is, then you can choose later on which you want to do and you get the opportunity to try them all out. But you're not gauranteed a place and I assume you have to compete for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Yeah I'm doing science in UCD at the moment and basically there are 2 routes to get into it, denominated or undenominated.

Denominated is when you pick your subject area before you start. It will have a different CAO code to omnibus entry DN008. So you could select neuroscience for example and when you get to college you will be automatically put down for all the core modules for that.

The other way is omnibus where you just come in not really knowing which subject area interests you the most so you can do a little bit of everything and then pick what you want to go into at the end of the year before you go into 2nd. Entry to the different subjects will be based on what grades you got, competing with the other people.

My biochemistry lecturer was saying though that they were going to abolish the denominated entry system soon. Everybody would be coming into science at UCD essentially doing omnibus and then pick subjects for the rest of their degree at the end of the year. Don't know if thats coming in this year for you or not for awhile.

Good luck anyway! Science in UCD is great I'm loving it :)

Advertisement