Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hate having your pic taken?

• 10-01-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how common this is amongst photographers?

From some of the comments in the self-portrait thread, it seems to me that an awful lot of us prefer being the "right" side of the lens, I know I'm certainly happier taking the photos than being in them.

Thought it might be interesting to see a poll on this...

Do you enjoy being the subject? 127 votes

Hate being photographed!
    0%
    Prefer to be behind the camera.
    33%
    peckerheadPaulwStokolanInspector Gadgetdr strangelovecalismdebetsmelekalikimakabullpostwhyulittlefoamcutterphogbigjoeGhostInTheRuinssineadwCaptain Chaossasarkardarieandy_gpaulusdu 43 votes
    It's not *too* bad.
    41%
    OSiriSKazujoKintarō HattorijoolsveertommycahirSkittlePeaceSleepyCiaran500chicken_foodfacemanValueInIrelandsmashlimklad5uspectmilosbogmanfanK_userPopeBuckfastXVIChorcai 53 votes
    Don't mind it at all!
    14%
    CrashBorderfoxArphaRimasmellthegloveBallymanhiscanA.Partridge.Longshanks.ThecageyonesheeshJim from CorkstabocollymcddaycentKylieWyleyblackaliciousgreener greeneTin Foil HatCook my sock 19 votes
    I'm Ireland's Next Top Model!
    9%
    BigConRoencaptain Pdazftwmehfestokelly1AnCatDubhWheresMyCamera?pullandbang101001squareballoongarden_snapper 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Don't mind it at all!
    I'm in the "It's not too bad" camp. I mostly prefer to be behind the camera, but I have been known to pose and pull silly faces on the other side :D I only hate it when someone makes a balls of it and catches you with your eyes closed/half open/looking drunk even though you're sober/talking but you look like you're making shapes with your mouth etc ...

Most of us who photograph a lot know to delete those semi-closed eye shots, but when it's someone just happy snapping and you get caught in the cross fire unknowingly and next thing the pic's are up on facebook ... hate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

It's not *too* bad.
    I reckon most people fall into some part of the 'have a preference to be on the other side of the lens' catagory. I prefer not to be on the sharp-end if I can help it, although I do like to príck about with weird self shots sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I absolutely despise having my picture taken, mainly 'cause the end result gets seen by other people :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

It's not *too* bad.
    I'm just very unphotogenic. Wouldn't mind so much otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

don't mind being photographed at all...i have a habit of making faces...so the next top model option seemed the best :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Don't mind it at all!
    I prefer being behind but I dont mind being photographed, depending on how I look. I prefer to have control over the images before anyone sees it though as I have a terrible habit of photoshopping myself haha, I like to look thinner:o Thankfully when I did have people photograph me, i.e. professionally, they did give me control over the images to thinify myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

I usually mix up 'smiling' with 'grinding teeth and tensing shoulders'.

It's hereditary. I had to delete all the pictures I took of my mother on Christmas Day before she saw them. It was frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Don't mind it at all!
    Don't mind getting photographed much..

It does bother me though when its a night out and I know its just going straight up on Facebook the following morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

hate hate hate it :(
    i know of only 2 photos that exist in which i don't look like early cro-magnon woman before i got married [one of them was taken by a boardsie, think it was buzz at the boards booklaunch last year? i like that one] we had 2 photographers following us round for 8 hours the day we weddinged, which was absolute hell on earth. they were great craic, and the day was fab, just i'm the most awkward unphotogenic person i know. i'd rather pull my toenails out with a pliers than do that amount of posing and standing and smiling again, and i take my hat off to them for being able to make me look human :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm really good looking, so it doesn't bother me at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Hate being photographed!!

My wedding day last year was a challenge, so many cameras everwhere, bit of a nightmare. But the offical photographer was a gem & did a great job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

It's not *too* bad.
    Depends, I despise snapshots, the firing squad line up ones of family get togethers, I mean.

Quite happy to be the victim, sorry subject, of sineadw's ongoing project. The difference being the collaborative aspect, I suppose, where I have the perspective of what it's like to be behind the lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

It's not *too* bad.
    dakar wrote: »
    Depends, I despise snapshots, the firing squad line up ones of family get togethers, I mean.

Yeah, I think I'd agree with that sentiment. Where there's some form of artistic merit involved its a lot easier to become the subject, as opposed to the above predicament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I really do hate getting my photo taken.

As long as I never see the picture someone takes I don't mind it too much. Ignorance is bliss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Like Tallon (though obviously not as good-looking) I'm a complete and utter narcissist. Point a camera at me and I'll strut like a peacock.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

That'd be a "hate" for me. What do you think got me into photography in the first place? No sign of me in the family albums after about age 11, 'cos I was behind the camera! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There seems to be a lot who dont like it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I'm Ireland's Next Top Model!
    I don't mind it at all.. Infact I rather be in a few than not. I take a lot of photos around my friends and in 20 years time I wouldn't mind looking back and seeing a few with myself in there.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I hate being in photos, but I must admit, at times like when I'm out, I do kinda miss being in some - having a bit of craic. But what annoys me about when I'm in photos, is most the time its a P&S and looks horrible, grainy, blury and out of focus and they think its fab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

It's not *too* bad.
    I hate being in photos, but I must admit, at times like when I'm out, I do kinda miss being in some - having a bit of craic. But what annoys me about when I'm in photos, is most the time its a P&S and looks horrible, grainy, blury and out of focus and they think its fab!

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i cant be photographed, they dont make a 2mm fisheye lens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

It's not *too* bad.
    I prefer to be behind the camera, just don't like being on the other side.
    I tend to stare right into the lens and watch the shutters open and close :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

OldGoat wrote: »
    Like Tallon (though obviously not as good-looking) I'm a complete and utter narcissist. Point a camera at me and I'll strut like a peacock.

Camera, spotlight, nipple tassle, you'll strut like a peacock regardless. Just be careful you don't fall off the stage this time :pac:

I don't care most of the time, but catch me in the wrong mood and I'll tell you to fcuk right off. You can take a photo of that if you want though. It won't be very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Just be careful you don't fall off the stage this time :pac:
    "jeeeze, you shag one sheep and they never let it drop" :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I absolutely, utterly and unequivocally *hate* having my photo taken. Or seeing myself in a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

It's not *too* bad.
    For me I prefer being behind the lens! But looking back on my kids pics it's mostly my hubby in them as he never ever thinks to take any. Then any he takes I look awful cause he thinks one shot is enough and you'll always find something wrong with it -- or maybe that's me being a perfectionist about photos! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hate it. Funny how I can look at other people, and love the looks of them regardless of size, etc... but all these things that I could find beautiful in others, I don't tolerate in myself. Like I could be looking at a 70 year old, crusty nosed, hairy-saggy eared man, and think : wow, look at those eyes. Even the hairy-saggy ears can be interesting.

But looking at myself in a picture, I always dislike something.
    I want to be Angelina Jolie really.:(

Sorry, was that Personal Issues ? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

It's not *too* bad.
    Hate it. Funny how I can look at other people, and love the looks of them regardless of size, etc... but all these things that I could find beautiful in others, I don't tolerate in myself. Like I could be looking at a 70 year old, crusty nosed, hairy-saggy eared man, and think : wow, look at those eyes. Even the hairy-saggy ears can be interesting.

But looking at myself in a picture, I always dislike something.
    I want to be Angelina Jolie really.:(

Sorry, was that Personal Issues ? ;):D

Ha ha ha ya I guess so but that's exactly how I feel :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I love having photographs taking, I just wish I could look good every time I have my picture taken. I definitely feel so much more comfortable on the other side of the camera though :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement