Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent steak?

Options
  • 10-01-2011 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Anyone know where to get a decent piece of steak around dublin?
    Could I just go into any butchers and be given a decent piece or is there anywhere that sells particularly nice steaks?(pardon my ignorance, I don't eat it, it's for OH birthday)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 zozimus

I've been through a lot of butchers and I've found that if you just go to somewhere like Buckley's on Moore street and make them cut you some thick striploins then you're going to be fine. After that - just make sure you cook them well. Sear on all six sides, cook medium rare and make sure you let them rest for 10 mins somewhere warm (not hot enough to cook them) before serving. Cook from room temperature. Make sure to season properly with sea salt and black pepper. Ordinary salt is too fine-grained and will just make it taste too salty.

Striploin is the tastiest IMHO - better than fillet and a bit cheaper :-) Fillet is 33 euros/Kg these days

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

zozimus wrote: »
    I've been through a lot of butchers and I've found that if you just go to somewhere like Buckley's on Moore street and make them cut you some thick striploins then you're going to be fine. After that - just make sure you cook them well. Sear on all six sides, cook medium rare and make sure you let them rest for 10 mins somewhere warm (not hot enough to cook them) before serving. Cook from room temperature. Make sure to season properly with sea salt and black pepper. Ordinary salt is too fine-grained and will just make it taste too salty.

Striploin is the tastiest IMHO - better than fillet and a bit cheaper :-) Fillet is 33 euros/Kg these days

Thanks zozimus, I'll try Buckley's. And thanks for the cooking tip,think he'll get a shock when he sees I cooked something other than chicken for once!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

More info on steaks, how to cook them & what to serve them with in this thread.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 42 zozimus

Thanks HB!

Oh and Bambera - my advice is always to relax when you cook :-) Enjoy yourself and don't worry and fuss about presentation. Cook for taste.

And practice ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The steaks in Marks and Spencers look the business, a bit pricey but i'm sure they're worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Aldi steaks are good and consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

If you are near West Dublin then Gleesons butcher in Blanchardstown centre or their Roselawn branch in Castleknock is clean and competitively priced in my view.

I got lovely striploin steak there last week. Cooked Jassha's Chinese Oyster beef with it, licked the plate....

I used to get my meat in local Lidl, but now that I plan my meals a week ahead I can make my 'meat list' and head over to the butchers.

I watch my budget carefully and reckon I get much better quality meat for same price or cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

The steaks in Marks and Spencers look the business, a bit pricey but i'm sure they're worth it.

Worth every cent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Thanks guys, will be serving it up with a side of the sweet potato chips from the "easy recipes thread"
    He'll be well pleased

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

I'd usually go to the butcher myself ( sorry I don't know any in Dublin) but I have to say Aldi steaks are very good. Can't remember the name but they're Irish, from a farm in Tipp I think. Ribeye and striploin are the tastiest. Costs around €10 for a pack of two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭MandyM

I'm a very fussy steak eater coming from a country with what I consider the best red meat around, but I love the steak at my local butcher in the Leopardstown shopping centre. They have aged Black Angus which is fantastic.

FXB's will also do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Aldi specially selected steaks are fabulous. If you don't have a local butcher that you're happy with, these are right on the money. Yummm steakeygoodness!

Advertisement