Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky HD - Phone Line

• 10-01-2011 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of ordering Sky, and I've come across this.

To have Sky TV installed you need a fixed and operational telephone line which is capable of making and receiving calls, do you have one?

I've just moved into a new rented property. There is no phone in the house, nor do I intend on getting one connected. Can I really not get Sky? I'm sure I know of people who have Sky but have no landline in operation. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I clicked 'no'. It seems I can have it after all, after the additional charge of €37.50. What a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you went through a third party the €37.50 'no phoneline charge' is waived(or meant to be:rolleyes:)But afaik the ordering process online gives you €30 cashback so the charge is pretty much negated.

I've just ordered it online. I'll have to cough up the €37.50. My brother ordered it through a 'third party' and he got the roughest wiring job I've ever laid eyes on. I'm not saying they're all like that, but I'll play it safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

It's a discrace that they can get away with a charge like that.
    After all, it's less work for the installer if you don't have a phone line.
    What the hell are they charging for?

smurra3 wrote: »
    It's a discrace that they can get away with a charge like that.
    After all, it's less work for the installer if you don't have a phone line.
    What the hell are they charging for?

I was just thinking that. It says "to have Sky TV installed you need a fixed and operational telephone line which is capable of making and receiving calls".

Well I still won't have this after Sky has been installed, so what's the charge for? It either needs a phone line or it doesn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It doesn't need one. They make money off it though from people using certain interactive services (like games), or ordering box office movies, PPV events etc. It's currently the only way a box can send information back to Sky.

They can get away with it because people want their product. It's as simple as that. Damn them for being so good.

Advertisement