Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First build attempt!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

For a gaming build, you have too much CPU and not enough graphics.

A bad PSU choice, you want something a lot better than a 400W one included in a case combo.

You also want 4GB of RAM, triple channel is for other chipsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

If your budget will take it I highly recommend the EVGA super-clocked GTX 570 1.25GB. Only had it since last Thursday but its a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

deconduo wrote: »
    For a gaming build, you have too much CPU and not enough graphics.

A bad PSU choice, you want something a lot better than a 400W one included in a case combo.

You also want 4GB of RAM, triple channel is for other chipsets.

Thanks for the quick reply. As is im sure fairly obvious from my component choices,I'm going into this completly blind having never done this before.
    Would you mind giving me a few allternatives to what i have picked.
    As i said I'm already quite a bit over budget so any suggestions are appreciated.

Arcto wrote: »
    If your budget will take it I highly recommend the EVGA super-clocked GTX 570 1.25GB. Only had it since last Thursday but its a beast!

I will look it up now. I've noticed on here people talking about 'over clocking' and i see the component you are suggesting is 'super clocked' I don't know what either of these terms mean, is it something i'll have to educate myself in if i'm to continue?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Only time for a quick reply at the moment, just a few additions aside from the issues deconduo raised that I noticed at first glance.

Firstly P67 boards are dual channel RAM so you will only need a 4GB kit which should reduce costs a little bit. Secondly the Seagate 7200.10 range is a few years old at this stage (I think 7200.12 was the latest iteration), I would look at newer HDD models like the Samsung F3 1TB as a much better alternative. Thirdly I would source the wireless desktop elsewhere as you will be landed with a German keyboard otherwise :p. Finally if you stick to a board with decent (Realtek) 7.1 onboard sound there is no need for a seperate soundcard, saving yet more cash.

EDIT: Also you have selected a DVD reader (DVD-ROM) rather than a burner (DVD-RW) as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

weiland79 wrote: »
    I will look it up now. I've noticed on here people talking about 'over clocking' and i see the component you are suggesting is 'super clocked' I don't know what either of these terms mean, is it something i'll have to edjucate myself in if i'm to continue?

'Super clocked' is just a marketing term really, it just means that the card been factory overclocked by the manufacturer prior to sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I know you said that you were over-budget, but the 2500K seems very much worth the extra €10.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41224

Also take a look at komplett's offerings - their pricing has been quite competitive with the new processors and shipping is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dolihalix

for 900 quid you might be looking at i-2500k and 6950. 2500k does overclock, 2500 doesnt. You can also unlock 6950 to 6970. You can get a good one from komplett for 255 atm. processors went down by 20 quid overnight, but they're not in stock at the moment. you can get i-2500k for the same price in komplett(free delivery), but seeing as you want them to build it for you I imagine you're better off with getting everything from hwvs.
    There is plenty more people here with a lot more knowledge on the subject who will help you pick the right motherboard, recommend ram and case, however, I will tell you this, I think you're better off stretching your budget to 1000, as you can easily get the above mentioned and won't have to skimp on psu or case.

Another thing I have just noticed which is driving up the cost of your initial effort is that you have ordered a 23" TV rather than a monitor (It has DVB-C, DVB-T tuners). You should be able to pickup an good 22-23" 1080p monitor for €130 - €160 depending on the size and connectors you need etc (VGA, DVI, HDMI etc).

Thanks for the comments guy's it really makes it feel less daunting.

I'm still debating to build the machine myself or not. Obviously it would be good to know where everything goes for future builds (cart before the horse?) but am a little wary of this for obvious reasons.
    Is there maybe some sort of online tutorial i can consult?

Good call Marco polo on the the TV and keyboard, although incidently I'm fluent in German but wifey isn't so she may not appreciate it:D

Also i def will try and keep the 2500k.

I'll put together a second build tonight and post it for your scrutiny.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you think that you might be able to build it yourself, then you definitely can. It just takes a little time and patience. Just expensive lego. There's an abundance of tutorials (most of what you need will be in the motherboard manual) and you can always come back here if you're stuck. I think that you can learn something and it makes you feel good knowing that it has your own personal touch.

Advertisement