Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mk3 Mondeo: Contaminated petrol?

• 10-01-2011 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

I've a 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8LX petrol. I was driving from Dublin to Cork yesterday and stopped at Apple Green at the start of the N7 to fill up. I already had about a quarter tank and filled it to the top with standard unleaded petrol.

Around Cahir the engine management light started blinking and the car lost alot of (but not all) power. She limped home doing 30mph and I brought the car to an Indy garage this morning. The mechanic is saying that he thinks it's contaminated petrol, although he freely admits he has no way of proving this.

Here's the thing:
    The symptoms are very similar (if more severe) to when the coil pack went before (about 20k miles ago) and the same mechanic replaced it. Also he did a full service just before Christmas and I've done less than 1k miles since.

So, did I get screwed by Apple Green or am I about to get screwed by the mechanic (possibly covering up shoddy parts/workmanship)? I suppose I should mention my mistrust of mechanics in general. In 12 years on the road I've yet to find a reliable one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's possible but I still think it's very unlikely it was the petrol. Some people may have other opinions on this.

rcdk1 wrote: »
    So, did I get screwed by Apple Green or am I about to get screwed by the mechanic (possibly covering up shoddy parts/workmanship)? I suppose I should mention my mistrust of mechanics in general. In 12 years on the road I've yet to find a reliable one.

Well, what's the mechanic going to do? Drain it all out or is he recommending there is stuff to replace? Dodgy petrol is largely an urban myth really. Lad at college used to be blowing on about it all the time, he had a new Megane at the time, I used to tell him it was the car. After a week or so of farting and whatnot he brought it to the dealers, was the car :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

RoverJames wrote: »
    Well, what's the mechanic going to do? Drain it all out or is he recommending there is stuff to replace? Dodgy petrol is largely an urban myth really.

Mechanic is draining the tank, replacing the plugs and seeing if that will work.

While I know people who have been caught out by dirty diesel, I don't know anyone who's had dirty petrol.

Car wasn't ready this evening so I have to leave it in overnight :-(

Different mechanic (same garage) said that they've had a couple of cars in with problems after filling up at Apple Green, although he was referring to the one in Ballincollig rather than three one on the N7.

Different mechanic (same garage) said that they've had a couple of cars in with problems after filling up at Apple Green, although he was referring to the one in Ballincollig rather than three one on the N7.

• Advertisement

Different mechanic (same garage) said that they've had a couple of cars in with problems after filling up at Apple Green, although he was referring to the one in Ballincollig rather than the one on the N7.

Dunno what happened with the triple post above.... joys of posting off a mobile I guess!?!

Anyway, 4 valves (all on the same cylinder) have been replaced. They also replaced the head gasket which apparently was on the way out. Total cost €638.

Mechanic was still going on about bad petrol but seeing as he didn't drain the tank, this seems unlikely.

Ultimately I think it was coincidence that this happened after the service and refill.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hal14

How can he say its bad petrol and not drain the tank??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

So four valves went on one cylinder? i suppose he done a compression test. Strange how they all went on the same cylinder at once. Did it suck in a flap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Jesus - €638! Steep.

I used a kwik-fit garage in Newry and I was very impressed - car ready in a few hours. Standard of work done appears to be high plus full print out of results/diagnostics etc.

As for Apple Green - not a chance of dodgy fuel from there imo.

• Advertisement

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Jesus - €638! Steep.

I used a kwik-fit garage in Newry and I was very impressed - car ready in a few hours. Standard of work done appears to be high plus full print out of results/diagnostics etc.

As for Apple Green - not a chance of dodgy fuel from there imo.
    Thats for 4 valves and a head gasket I'd say. Not bad at all. Kwik fit? Them boys have trouble doing anything. Get a puncture on the side of the road after them fitting tyres? Well ye can forget about loosening them wheel nuts....

hal14 wrote: »
    How can he say its bad petrol and not drain the tank??? :confused:
    Exactly! Reckon what happened was:
    I went in feet first saying they'd serviced my car and now it's knackered. Mechanic thinks "oh sh1t, I'd better cover my @ss" and says they're seeing lots of problems with contaminated petrol. Gives him an out, difficult (impossible?) to prove and plausible since every car needs to be refuelled.

In fairness the mecahnic changed the oil and filters, plugs whatever when he did the service. He didn't do anything to fcuk your car up. Its all in your head. Take a few deep breaths and look at the situation. Im fairly sure its not contaimated petrol or nothing to do with the service he did.
    Your right in saying it was coincidence. You know what it was now.
    Get this, some owl one gets her car serviced with us and comes back a week later with her radio not working. "bla bla bla, but it was serviced here last week":rolleyes:

Plug wrote: »
    In fairness the mecahnic changed the oil and filters, plugs whatever when he did the service. He didn't do anything to fcuk your car up. Its all in your head. Take a few deep breaths and look at the situation. Im fairly sure its not contaimated petrol or nothing to do with the service he did.
    Your right in saying it was coincidence. You know what it was now.
    "Ya, you're right" *he said grudgingly*
    As for the valves, not all of them were gone but I got them all done. The parts cost is insignificant compared to the labour if they had to go back in again to replace another valve. Same with the head gasket. The inlet manifold was done last year by a ford main dealer.

As for the cost... i suppose it's not that bad considering they have to dismantle the engine to replace the valves and head gasket.

Still though, it's painful considering there's another thread today where a guy bought the same car as me (but with 13k more miles) for €800! Still if I get another year of hassle free motoring out of her I'll be happy overall. Anything after that is a bonus.

Advertisement