Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have gym membership prices come down for 2011?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

There's no way I could afford a gym at the moment, cash is way too tight. Especially p*ssed off when my brother told me this evening that he joined Ben Dunnes gym in Dublin for €150/year which has everything

Holy Mother!! At that price (if there was a pool), I'd join in a shot and not worry about how many times a week I didn't use it!!! I'd join it if that was a 6 month membership!! That's managable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Don't know anything about this place but offer on until 28/02/'11...28euro a month DD..
    http://www.smartsearch.ie/vouchers/details?id=127

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

There's a fairly simple way to get a cheaper rate in KF; pm me for details:)

PM'd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭N1one

I've been offered €450 for the year in Kingfisher Renmore, membership up soon. How does this compare to others?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭johnnyk66

N1one wrote: »
    I've been offered €450 for the year in Kingfisher Renmore, membership up soon. How does this compare to others?

The KF quoted me a special deal to renew last year €495, I told them I wasn't going to rejoin as it was too expensive and they dropped it €445, I'm sure you can do a deal. icon6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was going to start a new thread but this one will probably suffice. I've recently moved back to Galway after a few years working elsewhere. I'm curious what gyms are available on the Western side of the city. By Western side of the city I really mean once I don't have to cross the city or travel across the Quincentennial Bridge to get to the gym.

I found this link but I wouldn't be surprised if some gyms were missing.

NUIG Kingfisher 091-xx
    Salthill Hotel 091-xx
    Leisureland 091-xx
    NRG Clybaun Road 091-xx

I recall that there is/was a pool in the Connemara Coast Hotel but their website doesn't mention anything about it. I assume it's not there anymore. Also I used to be a member of the gym in the Tennis Club on Threadneedle road. I assume that's not there any more either.

Okay, I took a spin around to a few of the gyms listed in my previous post this morning to get prices.

Leisureland charge €550 per year, €300 for 6 months and €180 for 3 months. The gym is well-lit and the equipment looks reasonably new and maintained. I didn't see any broken machines anyway. It isn't too big though so it might get a bit crowded at busy times. I think I'll pop in during the week after work and see what it's like then. The staff I dealt with were quite pleasant and seemed happy to answer my questions and most importantly took the time to show me around.

NRG in the Clybaun Hotel charge €550 per year, €325 for 6 months and €225 for 3 months. They also offer a direct debit option of €49 per month plus a €25 joining fee. Unlike Leisureland or the Salthill Hotel the staff here seemed utterly disinterested in being helpful. The place was swarming with kids and the parking situation was poor with people (presumably parents) abandoning their cars wherever they felt like it.

Ocean Fitness in the Salthill Hotel charge €650 per year (February special, €750 normally). They also offer a direct debit option of €69 per month plus a €50 (February special, €100 normally) joining fee. As with Leisureland, the member of staff I dealt with was very pleasant. This gym is probably the best equipped of the three I went to but of course it is also the most expensive.

So, in answer to the OP's question, no iit doesn't look like gym prices have come down :). At least what's on offer seems a bit on the expensive side to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I find NRG Clybaun a whole different place at the weekend, much quieter during the week (no kids) and after 7. Surprised they are 550, thought they'd dropped it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stratbat80

Malice wrote: »
    Okay, I took a spin around to a few of the gyms listed in my previous post this morning to get prices.

Leisureland charge €550 per year, €300 for 6 months and €180 for 3 months. The gym is well-lit and the equipment looks reasonably new and maintained. I didn't see any broken machines anyway. It isn't too big though so it might get a bit crowded at busy times. I think I'll pop in during the week after work and see what it's like then. The staff I dealt with were quite pleasant and seemed happy to answer my questions and most importantly took the time to show me around.

NRG in the Clybaun Hotel charge €550 per year, €325 for 6 months and €225 for 3 months. They also offer a direct debit option of €49 per month plus a €25 joining fee. Unlike Leisureland or the Salthill Hotel the staff here seemed utterly disinterested in being helpful. The place was swarming with kids and the parking situation was poor with people (presumably parents) abandoning their cars wherever they felt like it.

Ocean Fitness in the Salthill Hotel charge €650 per year (February special, €750 normally). They also offer a direct debit option of €69 per month plus a €50 (February special, €100 normally) joining fee. As with Leisureland, the member of staff I dealt with was very pleasant. This gym is probably the best equipped of the three I went to but of course it is also the most expensive.

So, in answer to the OP's question, no iit doesn't look like gym prices have come down :). At least what's on offer seems a bit on the expensive side to me anyway.
    ya bit on the expensive side! was with kingfisher in renmore 2yrs , 500eur for first year and 450 for 2nd! Anyone know what the ardilaun is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

inisboffin wrote: »
    I find NRG Clybaun a whole different place at the weekend, much quieter during the week (no kids) and after 7. Surprised they are 550, thought they'd dropped it a bit.

the clybaun nrg is less that €400 off peak (mon-fri before 4pm,all day sat & sunday)
    they also have an unemployed rate of less than €400 per year aswell,this is a standard membership,not off peak.proof of unemployment is needed.
    they also offer a referal service,if you refer someone for a years membership you get an extra month free yourself.
    as for the staff,yes i agree with whoever said they seem disinterested,they do.
    the amount of people who should be pulled aside in the gym by instructors and corrected on what they are doing is phenominal.everything ranging from the clothes/gear they are or arent wearing to most importantly their form.people like making up their own exercises or doing common exercises just arseways but there is NEVER an instructor on the floor of the gym to correct or advise people.
    stratbat80 wrote: »
    ya bit on the expensive side! was with kingfisher in renmore 2yrs , 500eur for first year and 450 for 2nd! Anyone know what the ardilaun is like?

having been a member of the ardilaun in the past (3-4 years ago) i would describe it as more of a leisure club than a gym although i understand that they have either added or significantly improved their free weights section.
    and it wasnt cheap either.TBH i think one of the best all round gyms considering price and facilities,its the NRG.

• Advertisement

barryd09 wrote: »
    as for the staff,yes i agree with whoever said they seem disinterested,they do.
    the amount of people who should be pulled aside in the gym by instructors and corrected on what they are doing is phenominal.everything ranging from the clothes/gear they are or arent wearing to most importantly their form.people like making up their own exercises or doing common exercises just arseways but there is NEVER an instructor on the floor of the gym to correct or advise people.
    This wasn't even an instructor though, this was the person on the front desk. If they can't even be bothered to sing the praises of the place then I dread to think what the instructors are like. I was roundly ignored for a few minutes while standing at the desk, then when I attracted their attention I was directed with a wave towards some brochures on the wall. When I retrieved a brochure and turned around to the desk to ask a few more questions the person at the front desk had gone off dealing with someone else. Now I realise it probably doesn't sound like much but in both of the other gyms that I visited that day I was dealt with straight away by a member of staff who showed me around the facilities and answered any questions I had. If the Clybaun management aren't going to instruct their staff on basic customer service then it's their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Malice wrote: »
    This wasn't even an instructor though, this was the person on the front desk. If they can't even be bothered to sing the praises of the place then I dread to think what the instructors are like. I was roundly ignored for a few minutes while standing at the desk, then when I attracted their attention I was directed with a wave towards some brochures on the wall. When I retrieved a brochure and turned around to the desk to ask a few more questions the person at the front desk had gone off dealing with someone else. Now I realise it probably doesn't sound like much but in both of the other gyms that I visited that day I was dealt with straight away by a member of staff who showed me around the facilities and answered any questions I had. If the Clybaun management aren't going to instruct their staff on basic customer service then it's their loss.

so you werent even shown around?ah thats bad!but its not the norm in my experience,usually the girls on the desk are very keen to show people around,ive seen them do it many many times,maybe it was a bad day?
    i know this wont change your view on it and rightly so.
    im a member there for 2.5 years and i enjoy going there,just bewildered as to what exactly the gym instructors do when they arent on the floor?
    some people should just not be left to their own devices in a gym.its an injury/accident waiting to happen.

barryd09 wrote: »
    so you werent even shown around?ah thats bad!but its not the norm in my experience,usually the girls on the desk are very keen to show people around,ive seen them do it many many times,maybe it was a bad day?
    This was a bloke, built like a rugby player. I'm sure it wasn't a great time as the place was full of kids but surely there was at least one other member of staff available for 5 minutes if he couldn't leave the front desk?

Anyway, for what it's worth I join the Salthill Hotel gym and am happy with my choice. Even though I tend to hit it after work (5:30-6:00PM during the week) I rarely end up waiting for machines. At most I have to ask someone to let me work in on the lat pulldown machine but that's about it there are plenty of mirrors, benches, swiss balls etc. available.

One thing I was very happy with was the fact that they gave me an initial program and revised it last week so I am keeping things interesting.
    barryd09 wrote:
    some people should just not be left to their own devices in a gym.its an injury/accident waiting to happen.
    I totally agree but that's a wider problem, not just restricted to Galway :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I've found that Active fitness out on the Dublin road is pretty good, and I'm pretty sure it's a lot cheaper than what you lads are paying.

No squat rack though.

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I've found that Active fitness out on the Dublin road is pretty good, and I'm pretty sure it's a lot cheaper than what you lads are paying.
    Well I can't speak for anyone else but I restricted my search to gyms on the Western side of the city as that's where I live. I try to deal with the cross-town traffic as little as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Anyone know if any of the gyms have unemployed rates. I know Leisureland has, just wondering if theres any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Are classes free with all these memberships?

Is there places for classes on a pay as you go basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Kingfisher NUIG do both - you can join or just go and pay per class. I am a member and really like it.

Advertisement