Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Inspection

Options
  • 10-01-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

I received a letter today from XXX Co. council informing me that an officer will inspected my rented property atXXXX to check for compliance with the requirments of various Acts
    Is this commonplace and what do they do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

My housemate had an inspection when they were applying for rent allowance/assistance. I won't go into it here, but the tenant was an absolute nightmare to deal with, but still managed to get their RA.

I think the CWO just wanted to ensure that they were living there and that the house wasn't a complete tenement and adhered to minimum standards. I assume it's the same in your situation?

Are you the landlord or tenant? If the former, do you think a former tenant could have reported the house for not being 'up to scratch'? Or have you got tenants who are claiming Rent allowance/supplement? If you're the tenant, you've got nothing to lose.

Usually they just look for signs of damp, extractor fans, smoke alarms (fire safety is a big thing) what appliances are provided (list of what must be provided by LL is available on threshold.ie), general condition of the house, if it's inhabitable/suitable for tenants (well, that's what they did when they inspected the house I was in).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

it happens all the time. Better get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

PcAngel wrote: »
    I received a letter today from XXX Co. council informing me that an officer will inspected my rented property atXXXX to check for compliance with the requirments of various Acts
    Is this commonplace and what do they do?

A representative of the Council will inspect the property to determine if it meets current standards such as:

1. Water and toilet facilities
    2. Heating facilities
    3. Vents, fans or minimum size windows in sleeping rooms, showers, bathroom
    4. Extraction fans for gas heating system if applicable.

You will be issued with a report detailing the results of the inspection and given time to rectify any issues found.

It is usually not that big a deal, and as one who had undergone such inspections they are a great ideas to prevent slumlords.

Now, if only landlords had any real rights we would all be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

got the report back and I'm not happy.
    The house is quetion is fairly new. They require a party wall between the row of houses. Is this required by law?
    Also a load of other ridiculous items - fan extractor not sufficient.
    Anyone else with experience with this.

PcAngel wrote: »
    got the report back and I'm not happy.
    The house is quetion is fairly new. They require a party wall between the row of houses. Is this required by law?
    Also a load of other ridiculous items - fan extractor not sufficient.
    Anyone else with experience with this.

Do you mean a party wall in the attic?
    If so this is usually required to prevent the spread of fire between houses at roof level.

Not a massive job - 4x4 partition wall with fire rated plasterboard on either side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

I had visions of blocks and cement!
    It amazes me that they can find so many faults with a house less than 7 years.
    My own house is ancient - this house would never pass all those regulations.

Blocks and cement wouldn't be much more expensive in materials, but labour charges could add up getting the blocks up to the attic.

Depending on access to the attic plasterboard might be tough to get up there.

You would be looking a a days labour for a blocklayer and his assistant, plus about €1.50 per block. Get a ton of sand - €20 per ton if you can pick it up and say max 10 bags cement at €5 per bag.

If you clean out the attic beforehand you should be able to get it done for €500 cash.

There are lots of brickies and chippies out there now looking for work.

Get quotes for both studwork and blockwork options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cecil01

Do not worry. These people are property inspectors who will inspect your property and make sure for the buyer or tenant that it is suitable for living condition. If you are investing on any property it is better to hire these people. You can contact them through internet.

Advertisement