Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband and xbox

Options
  • 10-01-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Mod Edit: New UPC Speed issues thread here. All posts there from now on.

Hi there,

I'm having some problems with my Xbox since switching to UPC 15MB Fibre Power broadband. Connecting to Xbox Live is hit and miss, and I can't connect my Xbox and laptop to stream movies, music, etc. I was wondering if this is down to the crappy modem/router that UPC supply with their package (Cisco EP2425), as the laptop's internet connection is pretty fast and reliable, or is there something more sinister at work? :)

Any help would be great;
    Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Try disabling IP flood detection in the firewall on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Try port forwarding also. Found here is a guide how to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 loafroaster

Many thanks, I'll give them a try. I've a feeling it might be the crappy router though; I'm investing in a decent one so hopefully it'll sort itself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 plastic_paddy

Recently moved over from Eircom to UPC and experienced similar problems with my XBOX set up.

I have two XBOXs one hardwired and one wireless. I have not had problems logging onto XBOX live but streaming media wirelessly is a disaster.

The hardwired XBOX i experienced no issues with XBOX live or as a media extender - literally just plugged it in and go. To date i have had no issues.

With the wireless one i experienced no issues with XBOX live but could not stream any media to it from the wired PC. Sadly this XBOX is used primarily as a media extender in the living room and so i was in a proverbal pickle.

After several unhelpful calls to UPC and being told they do not support third party equipment such as XBOX's and to contact Microsoft direct i decided to do some investigating and save myself some heartache.

To cut a very painful story short, i tried opening ports, disabling IP flood etc as suggested on this forum to no avail in resolving the media streaming issue. I am not suggesting this will not solve your XBOX live issues.

My personal conclusion is i concur with "loafroaster" that the Cisco EP2425 modem supplied by UPC is a piece of $%£^.

If you review the UPC Q&A section they recommend a hard wired solution for the XBOX! go figure.

I was unable to find anybody on this forum or other forums who has resolved this streaming wirelessly issue using just the Cisco modem.

Eventually i resorted to using my existing Eircom modem as a router specifically for the XBOX and then wired this to the Cisco modem just for the media extender.

Not suggetsing this is only solution but it works for my set up.

On the plus side the UPC service once up and running appears to be very good but their technical support is dreadful.

Best of luck in your solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

With the wireless one i experienced no issues with XBOX live but could not stream any media to it from the wired PC. Sadly this XBOX is used primarily as a media extender in the living room and so i was in a proverbal pickle.

It has previously been found that you can't do this with the ECP2425 router. Streaming media from the wired to wireless interface is impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 plastic_paddy

It is a pity UPC do not state this to save alot of heartache. I actually asked the UPC technical team whether the modem could support this and they answered that they are no allowed to comment on 3rd party equipment. Really piss poor technical support.

Your comment reinforces my findings a poorly designed modem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement