Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor swimmer, is kayaking

• 10-01-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

A good idea?.

I am not a great swimmer but I would love to take up kayaking. Is this advisable?. Do kayaking and good swimming ability go hand in hand?.

Also, so I don't start two threads in the same forum on the same day I would like some advice on what gear I would need and the rough outlay for a beginner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 BOOF IT STEVE

ur better off joinin a club in ur local area..they ll have gear u can use and advise on gear to buy as it can be expensive, and it ll allow u to try the sport in a safe enviroment and see if u like it b4 spendin alot of money,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

ur better off joinin a club in ur local area..they ll have gear u can use and advise on gear to buy as it can be expensive, and it ll allow u to try the sport in a safe enviroment and see if u like it b4 spendin alot of money,

What about swimming... is at necessity to be a good swimmer?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 kayakboy

It would be advisable to have some swimming ability however water confidence is more important than being a strong swimmer. Ending up in the water is inevitable but you should always be wearing a buoyancy aid and this will help if you are not a strong swimmer. You should ensure you learn with the help of a qualified instructor or someone very experienced and make sure to practice swimming with a buoyancy aid on a number of times before you end up doing it for real. Improving your swimming ability in a pool will help with water confidence.
    best of luck
    kb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

kayakboy wrote: »
    It would be advisable to have some swimming ability however water confidence is more important than being a strong swimmer. Ending up in the water is inevitable but you should always be wearing a buoyancy aid and this will help if you are not a strong swimmer. You should ensure you learn with the help of a qualified instructor or someone very experienced and make sure to practice swimming with a buoyancy aid on a number of times before you end up doing it for real. Improving your swimming ability in a pool will help with water confidence.
    best of luck
    kb

+1

Water confidence is everything but that usually comes with being a half decent swimmer. The bouyancy aid will help with flotation but then you will have to be able make for safe spots such as eddy's etc. Also being stern carried on a boat means you need to understand swimming as well as being involved with any rescue that needs to be set up, of course this all depends on different scenarios.

Best thing to do is try out a beginners course when they do start up in local clubs and get swimming practice in the pool and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I cant for the life of me thread water so i consider that not being able to swim (even though im fine while moving i sink like a stone when i stop).

I your like me, then it wont be a problem as the BA will help keep you afloat. But you should be able to control your movement while in the water.

Id take a few swimming lessons first if you cant swim at then you should be ok to give kayaking a shot. But as the lads have said, being comfortable in and under water is more important

• Advertisement
Advertisement