Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland V Newcastle - (Wear/Tyne Derby) Sunday 16th of January - Kick-Off 12:00pm

• 10-01-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

sunderland_crest.jpg V newcastle_badge.gif

Referee: Howard Webb

This should be a cracker.

Sunderland are looking for revenge for the 5-1 defeat in the same fixture back in October. Tensions will be running very high which is one of the reasons for a 12pm kick-off.

Both teams are injury hit with the likes of Welbeck (definitely out) and Mensah, Cattermole and Onouha expected to miss out for Sunderland. Newcastle are missing Tiote through suspension (pending appeal) and have a number of players such as Carroll and Taylor as doubtful.

Unfortunately this is not on Sky (although some claim it will be on Sky Sports' red button service but this is yet to be confirmed) although it's definitely on other channels such as Fox Soccer Plus and Nova Sports, so streams will be easily available.

My prediction: 2-1 to Sunderland.

Ha'way The Lads!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What date is today?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Tad early no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Wait, if Howard webb favours big clubs, how does he decide who wins this?

Flip of a coin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Looking forward to this game, got myself a ticket for Christmas from my other half who is a Sunderland season ticket holder.

The atmosphere at SoL is always great, but it goes up so many notches when Newcastle are in town - I've been at the past 2 at the SoL.

It becomes even more of a hard one to call when you consider those who are out and those who may be out from both sides.

Sunderland have a hell of a lot of making up to do for the earlier fixture, and finishing above Newcastle will not be enough without winning this tie.

I'm expecting a Sunderland win, with most of the first 11 having had a rest, but I can't see it being more than a goal separating them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Wait, if Howard webb favours big clubs, how does he decide who wins this?

Flip of a coin?

Depends on who gave him the coin :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Newcastle fan here.

Difficult to predict this one, so much of it depends on what players are available for both teams.

No doubt Sunderland will be fired up because of their humiliation at St.James' earlier in the season. Newcastle will want to respond to the inept performance at Stevenage.

I'm praying that Tiote's red card will be taken away but unfortunately I can't see the FA taking it away, Tiote is so important to the way we play and without him we become an extremely average side.

Hopefully Carroll will be fit and he would relish this tie as his first game back from injury.

I'm expecting a tense and high tempo encounter with plenty of yellow cards and possibly some reds.

It's going to be a great game, unfortunately I will expect Sunderland to win this as we are missing too many big players.

2-1 to Sunderland :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tiote suspended for this. Game isn't even on live either.

Going to be tough without Tiote, hope to god Alan Smith doesn't play DMF because he is woeful in that position.

Hopefully we will get Larsson in by Sunday so our midfield will consist of....

Guiterrez - Nolan - Barton - Larsson

Going to be tough without Tiote, hope to god Alan Smith doesn't play DMF because he is woeful in that position.

Hopefully we will get Larsson in by Sunday so our midfield will consist of....

Guiterrez - Nolan - Barton - Larsson

From Twitter regarding Larsson:
    Sebastian Larsson's agent Per Jonsson tells @nufcfans > "We are negotiating with #NUFC but a few other clubs are also interested." #NUFC

We'll see how it goes. i have every faith in the midfield. It'd be Carroll and Ameobi I'd be worried about. Should know more by Thursday at the latest I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

As long as Smith or Perch don't play I think we have a chance.

No Tiote is a big blow though, kind of game he'd revel in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Delighted Tiote's out. He's the Mags best player alongside Carroll IMO. Bruce reporting that Cattermole, Welbeck and Onouha could be fit to play although I can't see Welbeck being fit to be honest. Cattermole would be a big boost though.

Paully D wrote: »
    Delighted Tiote's out. He's the Mags best player alongside Carroll IMO. Bruce reporting that Cattermole, Welbeck and Onouha could be fit to play although I can't see Welbeck being fit to be honest. Cattermole would be a big boost though.

Yeah I think Onouha will definitely make it, I can't see Welbeck making it either, but I'm not sure about Cattermole,

I'd be half worried if Cattermole made it, he is an easy target in games like this, and lets be honest he has never learned his lesson - his injury might have been a blessing in disguise if it were not for some many other injuries at the club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Fingers crossed Wellbeck is out. He has looked mustard for you lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Tiote is a huge loss not just for this one but all three games. It looks like now that barton will play in a central role which I think is a pity cos he has played his best football this season from the right. I think the result all depends on if Carroll starts. I reckon it will be
    Harper, Enrique, Colo, Williamson, Simpson, Jonas, Nolan, Barton, Routledge, Caroll, Best.

As for Larrsson, I don't really rate him to be honest, only difference between him and Routledge is he is a bit more physical.

B~

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

bazual wrote: »
    Tiote is a huge loss not just for this one but all three games. It looks like now that barton will play in a central role which I think is a pity cos he has played his best football this season from the right. I think the result all depends on if Carroll starts. I reckon it will be
    Harper, Enrique, Colo, Williamson, Simpson, Jonas, Nolan, Barton, Routledge, Caroll, Best.

As for Larrsson, I don't really rate him to be honest, only difference between him and Routledge is he is a bit more physical.

B~

Larsson is a much better crosser of the ball than Routledge.

B~

Larsson actually has an end product though, unlike Routledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

B~

Never underrate a former Arsenal youth player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

TBH id have my gran ahead or Routlege, consistently runs inside into trouble. Rarely crosses and couldn't hit a barn door from 6 yards. Has one good game in every 10 at best. Smith is finished and we should offload him asap. Would not be surprised to see Gosling getting a trun although a derby (and clattermole) is not what you need after returning from a major injury

TBH i fancy Sunderland to win this one. Newcastle have not been too hot lately (the West Ham result was more about them than us). With Tiote out we can assume smudge will start unless someone arrives in the mean time. Carroll and Ameobi are both touch and go for the game and I'm not at all convinced by Best despite the Hat Trick against WHU

The only route to victory for us that i can see is an Arsenal type performance!

This is the first time I remember a Tyne/Wear derby that has not been televised, Sky Germany it is :)

shano_88 wrote: »
    Larsson is a much better crosser of the ball than Routledge.
    Larsson actually has an end product though, unlike Routledge.

Looks like he is looking for too much money in wages anyway so we are out. Larsson looks to have a bit more substance alright but i'm thinking he's been around for a few years now and still blows hot and cold, just hotter than routledge at times.

Routledge/Larsson
    GAMES
    17/20

GOALS
    0/1

ASSISTS
    1/4

SHOTS
    8/25

Anyway back to the Derby, sounds like Gosling had a decent run out last night so maybe he will get some time at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

1-1 draw I reckon!

That_Guy wrote: »

think most will require subtitles for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

1-1 draw I reckon!

I'd second that! Possibly Sunderland might shade it, but I reckon the Toon will hang on.

M5 wrote: »
    think most will require subtitles for that :D

Aye true that.

Anyone seen the metal barricade that the police have set up to keep the fans apart? I'll post a link when I get a chance as I'm on my phone at the minute.

Here's a short documentary called 'Two Tribes' for anyone who's interested:

Basically it follows the two sets of supporters before, during and after a Wear/Tyne derby game.

It's well worth a watch, especially because of the result at the end of the game ;)

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone seen the metal barricade that the police have set up to keep the fans apart? I'll post a link when I get a chance as I'm on my phone at the minute.
    Have not seen it no, where did you see it?

There was a huge police presence at the last game too. Always is. They actually closed off one road beside SJP and barricaded it off with armoured police cars and bussed all the Sunderland fans out.

They made a balls of it the derby before. They paraded the Sunderland fans through the city down to the train station and there was plenty of hassle! My hotel that time was beside the train station, big mistake, although i got a good view of "proceedings"

Its mental up there for derby day. Ner a hint of bother for any other Newcastle game. Fans happily mingling after the game whatever the result. The local rivalry brings out the lads who only come to one match a year to fight. There is palpable hatred there. I guess the fact that they are two 1 club citys adds to the passion the people have for the clubs and the match in particular.

given the last result i think there may be a raucous atmosphere there. I hear Sad Mackem Brucie is thinking of playing some song in response to the "cheer up stevie Bruce" tannoy incident after the last game. Not sure if thats a great idea considering his routes.

• Advertisement

I don't approach the stadium in the same way as I used to, we have moved to a different seat, and found a better parking spot,

But the old way I used to walk over weirmouth bridge and down by where the train stops, used the be crowds of sunderland fans there waiting to abuse the newcastle fans as they got off the metro! I have never seen such a police presence as I have at these games, even down to the amount of dogs too - a huge visual presence!

The atmosphere has been 2nd to none for me though, I love it, can't wait to get there on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Great videos Paully. Part 3 was my favourite. I like films with happy endings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

The atmosphere has been 2nd to none for me though, I love it, can't wait to get there on Sunday!
    Hope you have a great day at the match. I'd say there'll be some atmosphere alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

I think the result all depends on if Carroll starts. I reckon it will be

What about Lovenkrands, is he injured!? Would have him ahead of Best. Use Leon as the super-sub!!! :D

Can't waaaaaait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I wouldn't say Carroll will be fit for this, think he's in Dubai

Ameobi is 11/4 to score anytime. Well worth a €20 imo given his record against the mackems.

• Advertisement

Carroll officially out.

I'd like him there sure but we've won our last 2 league games without him. No need to hit the panic button. And besides, Shola has a fantastic record against 5under1and.

roryc wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Carroll will be fit for this, think he's in Dubai

He's back in Newcastle since Wednesday
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Carroll officially out.

I'd like him there sure but we've won our last 2 league games without him. No need to hit the panic button. And besides, Shola has a fantastic record against 5under1and.

Where did you hear that? Tiote a huge loss, dare I say maybe even bigger than Rocky!

Edit see it on sporting life

With the news of Carroll missing the game and with Tiote missing it makes it easy enough to pick what kind of line up Pardew will go with so my verdict goes to a 1-2 victory for Newcastle with Ameobi & Nolan the scorers for the toon with Gyan to get the opener for the Mackems.

Fingers crossed................

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

SAFC fan here - proper squeaky-bum time at the moment....

relieved to hear that Carroll's out as well as Tiote tbh, I think Sun'lun have got a lot invested in this after the 5-1 kicking. Wouldn't like to even hazard a guess at the scoreline either, just hope a SAFC win will square things with the Mags.

Gutted I won't be there - Derby Day atmosphere in the North East is electric !!!

Ha'way the lads !!!!!!!!!!!!

No chance of getting to sleep for another few hours anyway, far too nervous.

Ha'waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

cant believe this game isn't on tv at all. hopefully there will be a decent stream....

Here's the Sunderland team for today, excellent source as always:
    Gordon

Onouha Ferdinand Bramble Bardsley

Al-Muhammadi Henderson Richardson Malbranque

Bent Gyan
    Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

adrian522 wrote: »
    cant believe this game isn't on tv at all. hopefully there will be a decent stream....

there's a shedload on myp2p.

can't wait for this!!

Ha'way the lads

Sunderland vs Newcastle

Sunderland: Gordon, Onuoha, Bramble, Ferdinand, Bardsley, Elmohamady, Henderson, Richardson, Malbranque, Gyan, Bent

Subs: Mignolet, Zenden, Angeleri, Da Silva, Riveros, Reid, Colback

Newcastle: Harper, Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Jose Enrique, Barton, Nolan, Smith, Gutierrez, Best, Ameobi

Subs: Krul, Guthrie, Routledge, Lovenkrands, Perch, Gosling, Ranger

Referee: Howard Webb (S Yorkshire)

TOON TOON!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Smith and Best starting, Sunderland have to fancy this. Our bench is the weakest i have seen it all season, but come come we can win this, Ha'way the Lads!!

Its all good Bramble starts, still going with the 1-2 toon victory, especially now that Joey starts on the right and not in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

2-0 black and white army!! Any links to decent streams lads?

Duff wrote: »
    2-0 black and white army!! Any links to decent streams lads?

livesorehunter.com and mp2p have tonnes m8

Should be 1 nil

• Advertisement
Advertisement