Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big thread of Chinese/Nigerian scams

• 19-02-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Some Asian sounding fellow phoned me up and said my name and then said he was going to do some remote handling of my PC it was a bad line so i kept asking him to repeat himself , I got suspicious when he asked me to start pressing buttons so he could take over my PC ,So i said it was a bad line again and then said i Have an Apple Mac he hung up i think it was a scam so be warned.

Sorry for my grammar and if this has been talked about before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Pot wrote:

I think I am pretty safe in saying this topic has NEVER been done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Obviously not a Mac lover then.

Definite scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

He also said he was accredited to Microsoft and was calling all PC users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

*sits eating pot noodle and waits for call*

Leftyflip wrote: »
    *sits eating pot noodle and waits for call*

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

scams are funneh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Pot wrote:
    He also said he was accredited to Microsoft and was calling all PC users

Yikes, that'll take him a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Pot wrote:
    Some Asian sounding fellow phoned me up..

Sounds weird.

Wonder if it's because he likes Noodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The easiest way around any security system is to get the owner to give you the passwords and let you in. In an office set up some one sitting at a desk may have fell for that. As demonstrated by the missing safe post not so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Pot wrote:

You've been waiting to do that for ages haven't you!!

• Advertisement

Yup:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Pot wrote:
    Some Asian sounding fellow phoned me up and said my name and then said he was going to do some remote handling of my PC it was a bad line so i kept asking him to repeat himself

He could only take over your PC if he knew your IP address or if he asked you to visit a certain website to "update" your computer with some program.

I reckon it's some mindless tech support guy who phoned the wrong number.

No he was saying it a Global corporation that is going to stop some malicious virus from getting on your PC and wanted to run test and stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

Pot wrote:
    No he was saying it a Global corporation that is going to stop some malicious virus from getting on your PC and wanted to run test and stuff
    RING HIM BACK!!

its the only way to save your computer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

They are actually able to take full control of your computer from their far away lands, if, you're thick enough to do as they say lol
    If it happens again - tell him it's fine because the police are already monitoring your internet use & phone lines, so, if there's anyone trying to do anything shifty......they'll catch them ;)

x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Reckon I could get him to fix a few while he is in there. Might make my job a little bit less stressful.

Will do

Lets be careful out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

spanking gorgeous ???

hmmmmm wonders about whether pot noodle is male or female.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

.SONIC. wrote: »
    RING HIM BACK!!

its the only way to save your computer!

Probably a good idea to have your bank, credit card and pin number details to hand too. He may also be a qualified wallet inspector and need to varify your wallets contents. After saving your computer of course;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Ah this muppet called the house yesterday, 'Ben' from Online PC Doctor allegedly. Told mam there were 'viruses IN the computer' *dum dum dummmm*

Load of cock clearly! Would it even count as identity theft if you were thick enough to agree to it!? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jumpy wrote: »

You just ruined that for me. Thanks.
    After my post count that's all I had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

ScumLord wrote: »
    The easiest way around any security system is to get the owner to give you the passwords and let you in. In an office set up some one sitting at a desk may have fell for that. As demonstrated by the missing safe post not so long ago.

Back in college, I setup a yahoo account with a username like "Yahoo Admin Team" or something and sent around a dozen emails to various people explaining that "we were experiencing some technical issues" and that "we required all our users to reply to this email with their account password for validation purposes"
    I was surprised to get 7 or 8 passwords back from that. Some people are trés gullible. The rest told me to fúck off!
    This was back in 2001/2002. I suppose people were abit greener when it came to this kind of thing back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Yes...., cause we all know Mac's can't get virus........

/Sarcasm
    Pot wrote:
    Some Asian sounding fellow phoned me up and said my name and then said he was going to do some remote handling of my PC it was a bad line so i kept asking him to repeat himself , I got suspicious when he asked me to start pressing buttons so he could take over my PC ,So i said it was a bad line again and then said i Have an Apple Mac he hung up i think it was a scam so be warned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Here's what you need to do:

PM me with your IP Address, bank account number, sort code, credit card details (along with the 3 digit code on the back), your home address, your phone number, pps number, e-mail address, school records and what you had for dinner.

If you give me all this information, you could be in with the chance of winning a holiday to any number of interesting and exotic locations.

Oh, and I can fix your computer with all this stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Good scam that some people will actually fall for.

1. Scammer calls user claiming to be from Dell/HP/Microsoft support etc.
    2. Scammer convinces user to let them remotely connect to their machine (easy to do)
    3. Scammer places keylogger software on the machine claiming it is a security update/anti-virus software etc
    4. Scammer ends call and tells user their PC is now protected etc,
    5. Scammer sits back and waits for user to log into online banking, etc. Keylogger then sends the users ID & password to the scammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Hackers have really improved their manners over the years. Nowadays they're ringing you up before they mess with your ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Here's what you need to do:

PM me with your IP Address, bank account number, sort code, credit card details (along with the 3 digit code on the back, your home address, your phone number, pps number, e-mail address, school records and what you had for dinner.

If you give me all this information, you could be in with the chance of winning a holiday to any number of interesting and exotic locations.

Oh, and I can fix your computer with all this stuff too.

Ok grand. I'll just PM all that to you now in case there's anyone trying to pull a scam. Don't know who you're talking to these days.....

Do you want my Tesco clubcard number too or is that unnecessary?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Ok grand. I'll just PM all that to you now in case there's anyone trying to pull a scam. Don't know who you're talking to these days.....

Do you want my Tesco clubcard number too or is that unnecessary?

:D

I don't really go shopping in Tesco, if you have any for Statoil or Dunnes/Super Valu, I'll take them.

And please, don't delay! :D

• Advertisement

2. Scammer convinces user to let them remotely connect to their machine (easy to do)
    3. Scammer places keylogger software on the machine claiming it is a security update/anti-virus software etc
    5. Scammer sits back and waits for user to log into online banking, etc. Keylogger then sends the users ID & password to the scammer.

That it exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

A meatware scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Pot wrote:
    So i said it was a bad line again and then said i Have an Apple Mac he hung up

Even desperate scammers find Apple fetishists too annoying to work with.

stovelid wrote: »

I haven't used an Apple 'computer' (can I still call them that?) since the days of those weird looking blue ones that used to be in the internet cafes. I fcuking hated them with a passion and use to wait for a PC rather than use them.

I think I have a phobia of all Apple related devices, especially iPhones, iPods and the like.

My Sony walkman phone will do fine thanks very much, anything that has white earphones is a no-no for me.

How people use an MP3 and still use a mobile baffles me in this day and age. Is it that hard to get a phone with decent memory and sound?

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I haven't used an Apple 'computer' (can I still call them that?) since the days of those weird looking blue ones that used to be in the internet cafes. I fcuking hated them with a passion and use to wait for a PC rather than use them.

I think I have a phobia of all Apple related devices, especially iPhones, iPods and the like.

My Sony walkman phone will do fine thanks very much, anything that has white earphones is a no-no for me.

How people use an MP3 and still use a mobile baffles me in this day and age. Is it that hard to get a phone with decent memory and sound?

Pot wrote:

You hair looks like three question marks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What application would they install to give them remote access, would it be a third party app like logmein? Didn't think anything would be as easy as that, and that would involve logging into a website and downloading software...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

MarkR wrote: »
    What application would they install to give them remote access, would it be a third party app like logmein? Didn't think anything would be as easy as that, and that would involve logging into a website and downloading software...
    They don't have to have VLC style access to your machine.
    If they just get through whatever security you have, they can map your computer as a network drive and put whatever they want wherever they want.

MarkR wrote: »

Windows already comes with Netmeeting & Remote Desktop Connection installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

Some weird Indian people just rang my house twice-cant be a coincidence.
    Im running linux so i dont need your security help is what i told them!

I wonder how they got my number-probably picking them from the phonebook at random?

Could be because this site was Hacked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

stovelid wrote: »

I think they just prefer The Rolling Stones.

Pot wrote:
    Could be because this site was Hacked
    Most likely, the only way to purge this evil now is with fire! If your computer has wireless powers it's probably in cahoots with it's electric cohorts, plotting against us waiting for it's chance to attack. Burn them all!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Jumpy wrote: »

Dr. Mario was 69th on a some websites top 200 games ever...

Dr. Mario is a gynacologist :D

ScumLord wrote: »
    Most likely, the only way to purge this evil now is with fire! If your computer has wireless powers it's probably in cahoots with it's electric cohorts, plotting against us waiting for it's chance to attack. Burn them all!!

Will the Kettle be ok

Pot wrote:
    Will the Kettle be ok
    Kettles are a loyal bunch, it's the mobile phones, alarm clocks and laptops you have to watch out for, they can mess up your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Wazdakka wrote: »
    They don't have to have VLC style access to your machine.
    If they just get through whatever security you have, they can map your computer as a network drive and put whatever they want wherever they want.

whats vlc style ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Pot wrote:

About what?

duckysauce wrote: »
    whats vlc style ?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

whats that got to with hacking a computer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

How you know he was asian, did he say ''i love you long time'

• Advertisement
Advertisement