Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big thread of Chinese/Nigerian scams

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

would that be necessary? it was a screen sharing program so i should have seen everything they did- which was just moving the cursor... and i would have to log onto that program for them to use it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Here's one I got two days ago...
    ATTENTION:

My name is Miss sarah garcia.I am a Computer Scientist working with the Central Bank of Nigeria CBN. I have 27 years, just started working with CBN.
    I met your file marked X and your released disk painted red. I took the time to study it and tried to figure out why the funds were not released in your case.

the evil Officials never told the truth about the release of your funds, but allow you to spend your money unnecessarily.

I have no intention of working here forever, I can help you claim your fund if you can certify me of my safety and assure me that would be satisfied with me after I should have received your payment.

I have to do this because you need to know the status of your payment and reasons for the delay. This is like a mafia setting in Nigeria and can not understand because you are not a Nigerian.

The only thing necessary to release this fund to you is the original Drug / terrorist Clearance Certificate, which will be tendered to any of your nominated bank and the IRS Internal Revenue Service for the release of the amount transferred to your account.

Once the original coverage of Certificate of assessment, collection immediately be reflected in your bank within 10 minutes. The only person authorized and sincere that will issue the original documents is Mrs. Doreen Dickson.

Be sure to specify a file of the letter X and tell him his painted red so it will recognize your file.

The president made a statement to the compensation fund for all beneficiaries and contractors unpaid.

Therefore, they will not receive your original fund initial bonus compensation fund release will be added to your original payment back.

All funds, both the payment and the payment of compensation will be transferred to your bank account as soon as the original documents are deleted.

Do get back to me ASAP if you are still interested on your kindness.

My email address is sarahgarcia27@gmail.com

Yours sincerely,
    sarahgarcia

It's brilliant - so I get a drug terrorist clearance cert and ask for the red box...Is this a Nigerian version of 'deal or no deal'?

Also, the original mail address is MassageMasterTim@aol.com.
    MassageMaster? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

GerardB wrote: »
    would that be necessary? it was a screen sharing program so i should have seen everything they did- which was just moving the cursor... and i would have to log onto that program for them to use it...

Best case scenario, yes, but take a moment to picture the worst case scenario...

The link you clicked first exploited an unpatched vulnerability in IE or whatever browser you used and did what is called a 'drive-by' install of a piece of malware, say a keylogger and subsequently redirected you to a logemin link to make everything look legit. Such an install would require no interaction from you, and, assuming it was a custom exploit rather than a known one, would not register on AV scans.

I don't mean to scare you, but unfortunately, this is a possibility, and, IMO is one worth considering as real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Holy crap just off the phone with a guy, not two mins ago tried pulling the same ****e.

Is anyone reporting this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Holy crap just off the phone with a guy, not two mins ago tried pulling the same ****e.

Report it to who? The people phoning you are probably not even in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I can't believe people fall for this.

I have right now in my junk mail box, an email from an important sounding Lt General MMdadu, regarding transaction/delivery codes. I so want to open it.

ooh the anticipation of known scams.

Dont these people realise that the world is onto them now, or are there really that many people who still fall for such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

GerardB wrote: »

If you installed logmein and then they logged in they have read and write access. However, if you disconnected the pc when the cursor moved chances are you're okay.

If you gave them any passwords to anything change em, run a virus check to be sure but you should be alright.

EDIT: and seriously... cannot believe you fell for that and call yourself tech savvy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

EDIT: and seriously... cannot believe you fell for that and call yourself tech savvy :P

"there is a foolish corner in the brain of the wisest man"
    aristotle :P

meh, least i disconnected, i think the worse consequence was how much it annoyed me that i fell for it... xD

edit: i'm moderately tech savy- i know how computers and the web work on a relatively good level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It's being going on for some time in uk to as mentioned or ,they give you some spew about pressing button '3' on phone which you then get charged for .

Just because you are clued in, it's pretty naive to think that everyone else is too. These folks can be pretty convincing.
    I had a number of calls about 6 months ago, around the time a Dell service contract was ending, to try to persuade me to re-establish the contract. They had enough information that I was almost convinced they were legit. A few things clued me though... I had a couple of calls, and each seemed to know nothing about the other call, and they were very upset when I said I didn't want to renew... much more upset than a typical sales person should be, IMO. The level of persistence flagged them as dodgy, so I called Dell, who knew nothing about it, as you, might expect.
    Now, I'm a suspicious person at the best of times, and these guy almost had me!

Also, in recognising that people DO fall for this sort of thing, you can help educate them on what to watch out for. Personally, I have both my parents so alert against potential SE attempts that they are probably annoying to legit callers.
    Likewise, after years, I have finally convinced my dad that clicking on random stuff, or just opening unsolicited emails is a really BAD idea.

A healthy dose of scepticism is a good thing in dealing with people that you don't know personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Two years ago, I got some scam emails while trying to sell my car, so I decided to have some fun with them

Derek:

Hello,
    it is a pleasure to respond to your advert I like to know the availability and condition of your item published for sale and maybe it’s for sale, pictures, last price and means of payment was like. I await your response soon.
    Thanks and God bless you.
    Regard
    Derek

Me:

Good day to you. A little bit of background information about me first. I am a hooker by trade. I enjoy long walks by the beached whales, dancing in the moonlight (is my favourite Thin Lizzy song), I have a very short memory, and I also enjoy long walks by the beached whales. The car is no longer for sale, as someone stole it from me. They emailed seeming very interested in the car, and sent me a cheque so I could ship it to them. Unfortunately, after I shipped the car, the cheque bounced higher than a Chelsea goalie on a trampoline, so I lost money, and my car. Boy, if I could find that guy, I would rip off his head and throw it at him.

I have forgotten what I was saying there. Ah well. The car is in very good condition, I will sell it to you for €1650, and I will accept cheques. Do you need it shipped globally?
    Thanks, and may the Lord smite down those who oppose me
    Noddy

Derek:

Thanks for the email response.
    I want you to send me more photo in your next mail, I have a Client who is so much interested in the item with the purpose of making immediate payment by a Certified Bank cheque That will be cleared into your bank account within 2 to 3 days.

He has responded very positively and i have given him my own price for selling to Him whereby added my own profit and commissions to your own asking price and he is ready to make payment.payment by a Certified Bank cheque.

Any amount that is more than your asking price that is going to be on the cheque will be sent back to me .The remaining balance you will be sending to me will be as my Profit,Commission and for the shipping.

I hope you are clear with my Email so you should Complete and send back the details below so that the Certified Bank cheque can be issued and mailed out to you:

NAME……………….
    ADDRESS……………….
    STATE…………………..
    POSTAL CODE…………………..
    COUNTRY…………………..
    TEL NUMBER…………………….
    AMOUNT………………………
    My client promised to make sure that you receive the payment in at least 10 working days. As regards the pick up, as soon as you confirm to me that the cheque has cleared not a second before and that you have the funds deposited in your bank account , i will inform my shipper to come for the pick-up immediately.
    I want you to know that any profit i make from this kind of transaction is how i earn a living for me and my family.
    I look forward to read from you soonest.
    Best Regards and my family.
    I look forward to read from you soonest.
    Best Regards

Me:

Thank you for responding to my response of your email.

I am currently homeless, so I have no address. However, I will send my shipping agent to your address to pick up the cheque from you. Please do be sending to me your:

Name:
    Address:
    Phone No:
    Mothers Maiden Name:
    First pets name:
    School:
    Place of work:
    Place of rest:
    Place of play:

Send my love to your family. Particularly your wife. Could you send me a picture of her, I have forgotten what she looks like.

Derek:
    what you can do now is that since you have agent address there you can sent me her address so that i can sent the check there immediately…………..so that you can cash your payment from her ok hope that is good contact….and make sure that i would get your money and not sent you ohh cos that how i live……

Me:

She’s homeless too. Its actually my wife. I had to give her a job title seeing as how the bin we live in has no kitchen. People are often surprised when I say I sleep in a bin, but that how i live……

Derek:
    what i hope you can do is that if you know that you can have some one address and name where i can sent you the check to pic up that will be better for us ok hope you realy want to sell this for me cos all my client are worry about your homeless do something i hope you can get better money to get home when you sell it ok my regard to your wife.
    Derek

Me:

I managed to get my best friends address. He’s not very happy about this arrangement, as he hates to receive mail, but he has agreed to this on the condition that you draw a smiley face on the back of the envelope.

My name, to be put on the cheque, is John Lennon (hence the nickname Noddy). Please send the cheque to Ringo Starr, 1st Floor, 90 Jermyn Street, London, SW1Y6JD, United Kingdom. I will wait patiently for your cheque. And thank you for your concern. Things are certainly looking up. I have found a penny. They are meant to bring good luck.

Derek:
    Thanks i will mail you when the check go there so that you can call him when i sent there so that he we be aware of it i will be happy so that you can sent me the interest of my share back to me here….. that is what i use to live with my wife and children ..my regard to your wife too bye

Me:

Send the interest back? I’m not sure what you mean. Websters Dictionary defines ‘interest’ as “the feeling of a person whose attention, concern, or curiosity is particularly engaged by something”. I cannot mail my feelings to you. However, if you give me your address, I could perhaps send you an ice-cream for your children. I’ll leave some ice-cream in the car too.

Your children will love the car. Websters Dictionary defines ‘my car’ as “the best damn car ever, and the children of people who send scam emails and have just posted a cheque to one of The Beatles always love this car”

My disregards to your b*st*rd offspring
    Toodles

Derek:
    Ohh…………. i mean that i prepared of the check of my client here is 2,500 to your address there when you get your money you can sent me the money back so that the peek up will following as soon you clear it there okay….

Me:

You are giving me 2,500 for my car? I have to say, at first I thought you were just a normal guy who needed a car. But now I see the truth. Oh yes, I’ve taken a look through all your emails, and it has now dawned on me what you really are. I even asked my neighbour who is a policeman, and he agrees. You are…. you are one of the most generous people I have ever come across. You have realised my plight of being homeless and sleeping in bins, only able to afford to buy melted ice-creams, and you are giving me €2,500 instead of the €1,650 I asked for. You are most kind my good sir. With this additional money, I can rent a house for a month. That way, I can have a bath and wash myself, which means I am more likely to get a job.

You have made a small gesture, but it is one which will completely change my life forever. Right now, there is no way I can possibly repay you for your kindness, but rest assured, when I own my own multi-billion pound empire, I will send you that ice-cream. And it will be as cold as the day in hell when I send you the car.

Thank you so much Derek.

Derek:
    I hope you are joke with what you mail me here?
    I hope you understand me well there that why i tell me client that your car is good to purchase……………i didn’t know that you want to get cheated on me here when i tell you that i add my own money for him so that i can get it from you when you get it done… why people are doing like this in the whole world i believe you for the first time that you did not get anything all though that why am give you chase to sell it for me so that you can get money for rent house now you know tell me that you will not sent my own money back to me when i tell him i give your price and now add my own money that how i live in this state
    if you know that you can sent me my own money back let me tell my client that you did not agree with the price did you hear that……………so let me know what will are doing now about how help each other as well here you did not even put me into your shoes too.

I will be gland for you if you can co-operate with me GOD is by how side you know that.don’t cheat another man in your life if you want GOD to do your own for you…
    This is the amount you said that you want to sold you car ok €1,650
    Then any money money that remaining is mine……..pleas

Me:

SHOES! I CAN BUY SHOES NOW! I didn’t even think of that. Its very uncomfortable driving a car in your bare feet. Each letter you send me is like GOD is speaking directly to me, but in very broken English and no regard for the capitalisation of the letter ‘i’, which kind of makes sense as I’d imagine God is from Turkey and speaks in the third person.

Derek:
    Any amount that is more than your asking price that is going to be on the cheque will be sent back to me .The remaining balance you will be sending to me will be as my Profit,Commission and for the shipping. did you understand me now?
    pls or else i will stop the transferring OK

Me:

But…. but I’m homeless…..

To be perfectly honest with you Derren, I do not feel comfortable with this arrangement. I trusted you, and not only have you let me down by promising me money and then saying you want it back, you have let your boss down by telling him it costs more than it does in order to steal money from him, but Derwin, you have also let yourself down. Look at yourself. Is this really the way you want your wife and kids to remember you? As a thief who stole from his boss and wrecked the dreams of a homeless man? Turn off your computer screen and look at your reflection in the monitor. You don’t like what you see, do you?

Its not too late to change Derwood. You can stop this before someone gets hurt. You can be remembered as something more than a guy who sends fake cheques and scam emails, you can be remembered as a good man who tried his best in everything he ever did, but in a way which doesn’t hurt others. Sure, you may not have money, but you’ll always have your family, and they are the most valuable currency of all. I bet you could get a good price for one of your kids.

Derek:
    OK WHAT DID YOU WANT………………….IS THAT YOUR BUSINESS WHAT YOU NEED IS THAT YOU REMOVED YOUR CAR MONEY AND SENT ALL BACK TO ME FOR PIC UP.
    OK
    AM NOT SENT YOU BAD CHECK THERE I HOPE YOU WILL GET IT AS WELL IN YOUR BANK WHAT YOU CAN DO TO….AFTER YOU CLEAR IT JUST SENT ME THE MONEY BACK OK
    Me:

hehe, when I am leaving to go to the bank, if my wife asks do I have everything, I’ll say “Car keys, Check. Bank Card, Check. Cheque, Check!” HAHAHA THATS COMEDY LAD! PURE COMEDY! PUT THAT ON A CHEQUE AND TAKE IT TO THE BANK COS ITS PURE GOLD!
    Derek:

Okay man i dint know your answer to me here cos you are just saying wrong thing with my answer can i know your mined.

Me:

Derek, I am pleading with you, as I feel we are friends now. Please stop this. We have been emailing each other for the past few days, and now you are trying to act like we don’t know each other. We have both shared intimate details of our lives with each other. I know you better than I know the son I gave up for adoption when he was still in the womb.

Derek, I think its time for you to come clean. You’re doing drugs, aren’t you? This is all a way for you to get high, isn’t it? Your wife has left you, your kids don’t want to see you, you’ve lost your job…. look what the drugs have done to you Derek. I suspected drugs when you failed to send me a picture of your wife. I guess I just didn’t want to believe it.

You need to get your life in order man. To do that, you have to get rid of all the drugs currently in your house. I know you’ll want to get high one last time, and I understand. So you should gather together all your drugs, and take them all at the same time. Now, this may have bad side effects, so you should probably drink loads of whiskey while doing it. You can do this Derek, I believe in you.

And just think, once you’re clean, you can learn how to F*CKING SPELL YOU COCKSUCKER MOTHERF*CKING PIECE OF DIARRHEA

You may think I just insulted you, but thats just the drugs talking. I actually wrote some nice things about you.

Advertisement