Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iws how to become a lifeguard help??

• 10-01-2011 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

okay so i'm 16 and have completed my rescue 3 exam. I would love to become a lifeguard but how hard is the actual lifeguard exam? because it's alot of money if I fail it and i heard you have to do a pool and beach guard exam? is this true? please help! much appreciated. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lorcan122

The only place i have seen advertisements for lifeguard certifications is on http://www.lifeguardsireland.com

Go to the courses page and there should be pool and beach lifeguard choices.
    It is €320 for pool qualification, and €340 for beach qualification. The course for the beach is over two weekends and the pool one is over two as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

Irish Water Safety, www.iws.ie run lifeguard courses regularly all over the country. the price varies from around 260-350.
    some prefer you to have a basic level of lifesaving beforehand.
    more places do the pool lifeguard than beach lifeguard as the beach one needs to take place on a beach
    hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lyitgirl

If you are still thinking of doing a lifeguard course I would advise you to do a RLSS Pool or Beach lifeguard course. These are recognized world wide qualifications so if you want to work in the states next year... or anywhere.

For both exams you have timed swims, but if you are anyway a good swimmer you should have no problem in passing. Courses can be found on the lifeguards ireland website. Qualification has to be updated every two years. It is a good profession to go into, but also a responsible one. Not for someone just wanting to make a money over the summer. You actually have to watch people in your pool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 swim52

lorcan122 wrote: »
    The only place i have seen advertisements for lifeguard certifications is on ......

This is a business that promotes only some trainers doing RLSS qualifications. (many RLSS clubs do not pay this business to promote their courses).

If you are IWS trained already speak with your trainer or visit iws.ie

The most cost effective way to get trained is with a club so check the pools in your area. (this applies to both RLSS and IWS, I've trained with both)

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lyitgirl

Lifeguards Ireland website will advertise any RLSS Pool Lifeguard course, as long as the trainer emails them to let them know when, where and how much the course costs. As someone who has IWS and RLSS Pool Lifeguard qualifications, I strongle advise you to go for a RLSS course. The training here is excellent. And as mentioned before this qualification is world wide. Where as the IWS is only for Ireland

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement