Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

Thanks for the advice folks, I was out early this morning so if I do go tomorrow I'll leave it until tomorrow evening. I know what I'm like if I leave it too long though ye are probably right, I'll see how I am tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭LumpyOtoole

Finished Week 4 today, half thinking about doing a repeat of it because it was so tough. I find I am very slow, I am running but at a snail's pace. My whole body feels so heavy at times. At this rate I don't think I will be running anything near 5k by the end. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Finished Week 4 today, half thinking about doing a repeat of it because it was so tough. I find I am very slow, I am running but at a snail's pace. My whole body feels so heavy at times. At this rate I don't think I will be running anything near 5k by the end. :(

Don't syke yourself out from doing it but there is nothing wrong with repeating a week if you want. Its a goal not a race.

You don't think we were all like you when we started? I so was. I'm still slow, last at every club training run, last at most 10ks (but not tomorrow I hope), but truly, though I know it can be so demoralising, you are improving your times/speed/distance, it makes no difference what someone else is doing, just you.

Keep going, I know you won't believe it, but it does get easier. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

AK333 wrote: »
    Don't syke yourself out from doing it but there is nothing wrong with repeating a week if you want. Its a goal not a race.

You don't think we were all like you when we started? I so was. I'm still slow, last at every club training run, last at most 10ks (but not tomorrow I hope), but truly, though I know it can be so demoralising, you are improving your times/speed/distance, it makes no difference what someone else is doing, just you.

Keep going, I know you won't believe it, but it does get easier. :)

absolutely. Couldn't put it better myself:D You're doing great Lumpy. I was ultra-slow too. I repeated one of the weeks as I felt I wasn't ready to move on. No harm in doing that at all. Just stick with the plan, repeating whenever you need to and you'll be fine:)

Thanks for the advice guys, good to know its normal. I need to stop comparing myself to all the other runners out there and learn to be patient.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys, good to know its normal. I need to stop comparing myself to all the other runners out there and learn to be patient.

yeah, nail on head. There's always gonna be someone faster, no matter how fast you get ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

You can still compare yourself to other runners - just pick the slower ones ;)

Or even better, compare yourself to how you were a few weeks ago. I only started running 5 months ago, and I'm still seeing myself improve every single week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

How long should I wait after a meal before going for a run?

How long should I wait after a meal before going for a run?

really, it's different for everyone. Personally I'd have to let a biggish meal settle for at least 2 hours as I'd get a stitch but others seem to get away with eating an hour beforehand. Trial and error I'm afraid Bigdeadlydave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm just popping back onto this thread to let everyone know that I started the Couch to 5k thing in November last year...and I completed my first (and last!) marathon yesterday! :D

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    really, it's different for everyone. Personally I'd have to let a biggish meal settle for at least 2 hours as I'd get a stitch but others seem to get away with eating an hour beforehand. Trial and error I'm afraid Bigdeadlydave!
    Left it for an hour and a half after dinner - got a stitch and altogether felt a bit ill, got it done though but I'll keep to doing the run before dinner in future, Week 2 day 1 done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Penfailed wrote: »
    I'm just popping back onto this thread to let everyone know that I started the Couch to 5k thing in November last year...and I completed my first (and last!) marathon yesterday! :D

Well done you. How on earth did you do that in 7 months? Thats impressive. I'd be happy to finish a 10k at this stage :mad:

Wow well done!!

Finished Week 5 ( Day 1 ) I did the Mini Marathon, a very last minute thing that I normally would never have considered but I'm very glad I did it now. I walked it but did the C25K during it and it was great, much easier doing it in a crowd with other people to spur you on. The atmosphere was great and I didn't feel it as much as with last week. Day 2 tomorrow will probably feel like torture but I'm really looking forward to it now.

Took all your advice and didn't start week 2 until this morning. Headed out just after 7am to a wood a couple of miles from home. Didn't find it too bad, again it takes my breathing/lungs awhile to get in to a rhythm but after a few runs its fine. Of course when I came home we dropped the kids to school and I headed out for a 5 mile walk with docjewel (a little recovery stretch after his marathon in Cork yesterday....v proud of him by the way!). Probably not the best idea straight after this mornings session as I was a bit stiff but I'm fine now, roll on day2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Hi Penfailed.

You say that now but you will be back. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I barely managed to get to 5k last year and then stopped so I'm back starting again though maybe a bit less unfit. I signed up for a 5k ages ago - now its in exactly a month!! Has anyone got a good idea of what I should be aiming for, or should I follow / slightly amend the c25k? I went out tonight jogged 10 mins, walked 3, jogged 10, fairly tired and unfit. I am not a natural and never got the running bug but I know if I am consistent for the next 4 weeks I can do it. I am not looking for miracles, I don't care how slow once I can maintain a jog. Any tips much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

WOW, well done. Did you follow a plan to get from the 5k to Marathon that quickly?

Hope everyone is still plugging away :) Is amazing really not even finished week 2 yet but I can see that I have made big progress already, I feel that I could jog for longer than the time it tells me, week 1 it was a massive struggle to do the 60 seconds.

Have hit a bit of a problem though :o The lads might be ale to help me here, the inside of my thighs are getting rubbed raw, they are not rubbing off each other exactly, but rather my boxers seem to get wet with sweat(yuck), kinda bunch up and thats when the damage seems to gets done. How can I avoid this? I generally wear tracksuit bottoms, what should I do? Should I go commando, fire some Vaseline down there before running, or get those shorts with that inner supporting lining? Friend suggested getting the razor out and making sure that there is no hair in the area will help. Any ideas? :o

Hope everyone is still plugging away :) Is amazing really not even finished week 2 yet but I can see that I have made big progress already, I feel that I could jog for longer than the time it tells me, week 1 it was a massive struggle to do the 60 seconds.

Have hit a bit of a problem though :o The lads might be ale to help me here, the inside of my thighs are getting rubbed raw, they are not rubbing off each other exactly, but rather my boxers seem to get wet with sweat(yuck), kinda bunch up and thats when the damage seems to gets done. How can I avoid this? I generally wear tracksuit bottoms, what should I do? Should I go commando, fire some Vaseline down there before running, or get those shorts with that inner supporting lining? Friend suggested getting the razor out and making sure that there is no hair in the area will help. Any ideas? :o

Hi Dave, asked my marathon running husband and he said go for the shorts with the inner support or get seamless jocks??. Also said the track suit bottoms are a no no and are making you sweat more, so off you go to a sports shop!!! I notice he wears a lot of Nike ones, he says they're 2 in 1 shorts???
    Anyway well done on week 2, I'm not far behind you, doing week 2 day2 in the morning, can't wait!!! Love heading out before everyone else gets up.

• Advertisement

Week 2 Day 2.
    Off out again at 7am, the first jog was agony, the backs of my legs and my back were screaming at me to stop (something I would have gladly done before). Kept going though and again it did get easier though I did feel sluggish for most of the session. Something like this would have put me off before so delighted I kept going and looking forward to day 3. the problem is I'm off to London for the weekend, should I take my runners???:cool: .......I think not, I'm not that enthusiastic....yet!:D

Hi Dave, asked my marathon running husband and he said go for the shorts with the inner support or get seamless jocks??. Also said the track suit bottoms are a no no and are making you sweat more, so off you go to a sports shop!!! I notice he wears a lot of Nike ones, he says they're 2 in 1 shorts???
    Anyway well done on week 2, I'm not far behind you, doing week 2 day2 in the morning, can't wait!!! Love heading out before everyone else gets up.
    Thanks!

Some shopping to do I guess!

I've made it to Week 5 Day 3. Doing the full 20 min run tomorrow :eek: I didn't think it came around this quick, for some reason I had it in my head it was somewhere around the Week 7 or 8 mark but I don't feel that nervous. I find now with the longer runs I still have those "please let it end" moments but they are no worse than they were in Week 2 or 3. In fact I'm not in as much pain in my legs as I was in the early weeks. I think its just a mental thing more than a physical thing.

Everyone is doing great, running in this heat is not easy at all.

I've made it to Week 5 Day 3. Doing the full 20 min run tomorrow :eek: I didn't think it came around this quick, for some reason I had it in my head it was somewhere around the Week 7 or 8 mark but I don't feel that nervous. I find now with the longer runs I still have those "please let it end" moments but they are no worse than they were in Week 2 or 3. In fact I'm not in as much pain in my legs as I was in the early weeks. I think its just a mental thing more than a physical thing.

Everyone is doing great, running in this heat is not easy at all.

Jeez didn't realise the 20 min run came that quick, will have to start psyching myself up for that very soon

On week two n enjoying it. I'm the laziest person known to man and four stone overweight so I'm really glad to b enjoying it.
    I'm finding the 1.30 tough n can't imagine being able to jog the full 5k but I'm sticking to it!

Haven't been out all week due to gastro bug in the house, I'm completely wasted but hoping to get out at some stage at the weekend. I think I'll have to repeat week 2 though as I don't think I'd be up to starting in to week 3 just yet. I was lying in bed earlier listening to the rain and wishing I was outside doing a session in it, I think I must be mad!

Finished week 3 today :)

Ran in the rain which was actually quite nice, much better than the massive heat we've had recently.

Some 5 min runs next week :O

Haven't been out in TWELVE days, was away for a couple of days and arrived back to a gastro bug in the house which I succumbed to. Today was my first chance to get out and I was dreading it because I had woeful pains in my legs the last few days.
    But I have to say that it was my best run yet, loved being out again and had no problems after the long lay off so I might start week 3 afterall on Thursday!

Haven't been out in TWELVE days, was away for a couple of days and arrived back to a gastro bug in the house which I succumbed to. Today was my first chance to get out and I was dreading it because I had woeful pains in my legs the last few days.
    But I have to say that it was my best run yet, loved being out again and had no problems after the long lay off so I might start week 3 afterall on Thursday!

I'm on day two of week three...finding three mins tough but feel amazing after it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My friend has been trying to convince me to do this with her and then run the cork women's mini marathon in September but I have been adamant up to now that "I don't run"! I'm thinking now though that I might give it a go, obviously for the sense of achievement after it would be great but I want to lose a bit of weight too - is it good for that purpose or do you really have to be regimental with your diet also?

I'm a really fast walker but when it comes to running i just fall apart after about 60 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

First time posting here.

Been doing great so far, on week 5 day 2 atm. I've found it difficult but have done every run and actually enjoyed. Anyone else feel the jump from w5d2 to d3 is a bit much. Two 8 min runs with a 5 min walk in middle to a straight 20 min run. It's really put off my mate from continuing as he feels he couldn't get through that and I feel I'll really struggle myself.

Any one else in the same boat or any experiences I could draw on from those who've done it before?

leahyl wrote: »
    My friend has been trying to convince me to do this with her and then run the cork women's mini marathon in September but I have been adamant up to now that "I don't run"! I'm thinking now though that I might give it a go, obviously for the sense of achievement after it would be great but I want to lose a bit of weight too - is it good for that purpose or do you really have to be regimental with your diet also?

I'm a really fast walker but when it comes to running i just fall apart after about 60 seconds!

I'm on week 3 at the moment and have really surprised myself at how well it's going. Like you I thought beforehand that I'd fall over if I had to run for 30 seconds let alone 60 but the couch25k programme does ease you in to it and if you jog as slow as you can (and then even slower) you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it. I'm doing it with a friend which motivates me to get out there and do it but find that coming on boards has been a big motivator too.
    As far as losing weight goes you will find that you will start to eat healthier, I am half following the slimming world diet which fits in well with exercise, really have to get my head in the right place and start to follow it fully from now on.
    My advice after that bit of rambling, just get out there and do it but remember to go slowly, you can build up speed later!

First time posting here.

Been doing great so far, on week 5 day 2 atm. I've found it difficult but have done every run and actually enjoyed. Anyone else feel the jump from w5d2 to d3 is a bit much. Two 8 min runs with a 5 min walk in middle to a straight 20 min run. It's really put off my mate from continuing as he feels he couldn't get through that and I feel I'll really struggle myself.

Any one else in the same boat or any experiences I could draw on from those who've done it before?

Pierce I'm only on wk3 but would it be an idea to repeat the last week until you feel ready to move on?

Pierce I'm only on wk3 but would it be an idea to repeat the last week until you feel ready to move on?

It's probably not a bad idea. I do feel comfortable where I'm at atm though. I ran the w5d2 today and felt I could have done more. Just the thought of going twenty minutes without any break seems a jump. I won't be able to run again till Tuesday so I'll give it a go and update withh how I get on. If, as I expect, I fail miserably I'll probably repeat the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

It's probably not a bad idea. I do feel comfortable where I'm at atm though. I ran the w5d2 today and felt I could have done more. Just the thought of going twenty minutes without any break seems a jump. I won't be able to run again till Tuesday so I'll give it a go and update withh how I get on. If, as I expect, I fail miserably I'll probably repeat the last week.

Expect to fail and you most probably will. ;)

Although it seems daunting to make this step up the step isn't as big as you think. It's actually less than the weekly increases so far.

Week 1 - You're running 1 minute at a time.
    Week 2 - 1.5 minutes - a 50% increase
    Week 3 - You have a couple of 3 minute sessions. 100% increase
    Week 4 - We're at 5 minute blocks a 66% increase
    Week 5 - You go from 16 minutes running out of 21 to a 20 minute run - about a 20% increase in running time.

What you're hung up on is the lack of rest period. That's all it is though - a skipped rest period. Like you did in week 2 and 3 as the running portions increased. It's just that now you've ran out of rest periods to skip.

My best advice to you now is take a couple of days rest beforehand (which you're doing anyway !) and head out for that 20 minute run full of confidence. Pull your pace back slightly for the first few minutes. Run a little slower to conserve your energy. You can always increase the pace for the second half if you feel like it. You will find this a lot easier than you think and the feeling you get at around 10-12 minutes when you suddenly realise you're going to make that 20 minutes is very special indeed. You can and will do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm on week 3 at the moment and have really surprised myself at how well it's going. Like you I thought beforehand that I'd fall over if I had to run for 30 seconds let alone 60 but the couch25k programme does ease you in to it and if you jog as slow as you can (and then even slower) you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it. I'm doing it with a friend which motivates me to get out there and do it but find that coming on boards has been a big motivator too.
    As far as losing weight goes you will find that you will start to eat healthier, I am half following the slimming world diet which fits in well with exercise, really have to get my head in the right place and start to follow it fully from now on.
    My advice after that bit of rambling, just get out there and do it but remember to go slowly, you can build up speed later!

Thanks Mrs Docjewel! I've texted my friend and told her ill give it a go :-) to be honest the main reason I want to do it is to lose weight before my holiday in September :-P but who knows it might become more important to me than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Done 7 weeks of it and done my 1 st 5k race in 27 mins. Have another one the week after next. I never ran before I done this.
    Using the runkeeper app for training now.

I did this a last year and the plan I had was 10 weeks long. It was just a plan downloaded from the net.

Found it great.

Keep it up though, fantastic exercise.

Here's the one I used if anyone is interested. It's more gradual. The 20 min + runs don't come in until week 8.

tumblr_mdw1x7gLey1ryqjtno1_1280.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I used the podcast from here.

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

I found them brilliant, much better than the app I started with. Some great advice and follow on podcast on there too.

• Advertisement

Expect to fail and you most probably will. ;)

Although it seems daunting to make this step up the step isn't as big as you think. It's actually less than the weekly increases so far.

Week 1 - You're running 1 minute at a time.
    Week 2 - 1.5 minutes - a 50% increase
    Week 3 - You have a couple of 3 minute sessions. 100% increase
    Week 4 - We're at 5 minute blocks a 66% increase
    Week 5 - You go from 16 minutes running out of 21 to a 20 minute run - about a 20% increase in running time.

What you're hung up on is the lack of rest period. That's all it is though - a skipped rest period. Like you did in week 2 and 3 as the running portions increased. It's just that now you've ran out of rest periods to skip.

My best advice to you now is take a couple of days rest beforehand (which you're doing anyway !) and head out for that 20 minute run full of confidence. Pull your pace back slightly for the first few minutes. Run a little slower to conserve your energy. You can always increase the pace for the second half if you feel like it. You will find this a lot easier than you think and the feeling you get at around 10-12 minutes when you suddenly realise you're going to make that 20 minutes is very special indeed. You can and will do this.

Well both myself and my mate managed to complete the twenty minute run tonight. Cheers for this post the other day, I think it did give me a bit more confidence in my ability to do it. As it worked out I finished the cool down and was still about five minutes away from the house so I jogged home. Now we move onwards and upwards!

Well done, I say that felt great! My first 20 minute run is on friday. Finishing week 5 day 1 was tough, the 3rd five min section was hell and I felt a bit down.

Just to remind myself how far I've come I went out today (an off day) and did week one day one, which was really hard at the time, and I barely broke a sweat!

Well both myself and my mate managed to complete the twenty minute run tonight. Cheers for this post the other day, I think it did give me a bit more confidence in my ability to do it. As it worked out I finished the cool down and was still about five minutes away from the house so I jogged home. Now we move onwards and upwards!

Well done Pierce, last week was just a blip, onwards and upwards now!

Just in from the 20 minute run, someone said it earlier on in the thread but the feeling when you have about 8 mins left and realize that you're gonna make it is amazing! Amazed that I did it, really amazed cause it looks such a leap up in difficulty.

Finishing line is in sight! After I finish this, gonna go for the ten k!

Just in from the 20 minute run, someone said it earlier on in the thread but the feeling when you have about 8 mins left and realize that you're gonna make it is amazing! Amazed that I did it, really amazed cause it looks such a leap up in difficulty.

Fantastic :D No stopping you now! I'll never forget my first either! (20 min run that is;))
    Great to be looking forward to a 10k plan already!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

Good God I never realised I was so unfit. Just completed my first day of c25k. I'm at least 2 stone overweight and my diet would be what I would consider very bad so I'm going to use this programme to get my life back on track, mentally and physically. I really hope I don't give up on this after a week as I do with everything else.

imola94 wrote: »
    Good God I never realised I was so unfit. Just completed my first day of c25k. I'm at least 2 stone overweight and my diet would be what I would consider very bad so I'm going to use this programme to get my life back on track, mentally and physically. I really hope I don't give up on this after a week as I do with everything else.

I'm three wks ahead of you, I'm jogging three mins which I couldn't do a month ago, weak at the thought of the jogging for 20 mins but sure tis all progress. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

I'm three wks ahead of you, I'm jogging three mins which I couldn't do a month ago, weak at the thought of the jogging for 20 mins but sure tis all progress. Best of luck :)

3 mins jogging seems very difficult at the moment but from all reports I've read of the programme it seems people do it without too much problem.

imola94 wrote: »
    3 mins jogging seems very difficult at the moment but from all reports I've read of the programme it seems people do it without too much problem.

Just take it week to week imola and you'll be fine, I've just finished week 3 so starting the 5 minute runs this week, couldn't have seen myself get this far a couple of weeks ago but it's not as bad as I expected and if you find some days tough or feel you're not ready to move on to the next week then there's no harm repeating a couple of days! Good luck!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement