Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

pcuser wrote: »
    Lifestyle Sports offer free GAIT analysis. If memory serves me right there is one in Wexford.

There is, thanks a lot. Will head in and ask.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Cookie_fan

sumsar wrote: »
    Week 3 done and dusted.

I know its early days but this seems like it's flying in, happy days.

Well done!! Completed it myself today, struggled for the first three minute run seemed like it was all up hill, managed to get through it, ran the last 2 minute walk easily enough so think it's a case of getting my second wind, happy with week 3 down, looking forward to week 4 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Cookie_fan wrote: »
    it's a case of getting my second wind,

Its the same for me, first third of the run seems to be the hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

Life has been getting in the way of C25K on me. I completed W5D2 on Thursday but felt I struggled a bit. Would it be a good idea to repeat it and have it nailed properly before w5d3 or just give w5d3 a go? I got a stitch about half way into the second run interval (drank water too soon before going out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Life has been getting in the way of C25K on me. I completed W5D2 on Thursday but felt I struggled a bit. Would it be a good idea to repeat it and have it nailed properly before w5d3 or just give w5d3 a go? I got a stitch about half way into the second run interval (drank water too soon before going out)

Give it a go - you might surprise yourself! I thought the 20 minute run was too much of a step up but got there.

I wouldn't worry about the gap since your last run either - sometimes a little extra rest helps the body recover and makes the next run more doable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Week 4 run 1 done tonight.

I enjoyed it and was tempted at times to speed up, but I convinced myself not to get too cocky and risk messing things upz instead keep at my usual pace.

I've found myself becoming addicted to checking this thread checking for other people's progress, looking forward to hearing others report in :-)

I got shoes today. Starting tomorrow. Wish me luck. !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

The very very best of luck! Take it as easy as possible and try to relax! Looking forward to hearing all about it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Ooh best of luck! Go slow and steady and you'll do great!

• Advertisement

Good luck - take it nice and slow to begin with and it will all fall into place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,731 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Best of Luck! You don't need luck actually, just faith in the app.

Take it nice and slow, deep breaths in and out through the mouth and you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

Hope your first day went well!

I had to take 2 x 30sec walk breaks on w5d3. I thought I was going to exhale a lung. I'm a smoker who has been gradually smoking less since I started C25K. I'm down to about 10 a day now from 20-30. Cutting back, and I'll get there as I will with C25K.

So back to w5d3 tomorrow!

It was unbelievable. So exhilarating. Ok I was starting to feel uncomfortable coming to the end of each minute run but I felt great afterwards. I was on a high. What a great feeling!!!!

Oh and by run I MIGHT mean slow jog but anyway:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

It was unbelievable. So exhilarating. Ok I was starting to feel uncomfortable coming to the end of each minute run but I felt great afterwards. I was on a high. What a great feeling!!!!

Oh and by run I MIGHT mean slow jog but anyway:D

Super news! Sounds like you are doing it right! It's not going to be easy and it will challenge you, but you as you say, so exhilarating and totally worth it! Keep posting the runs and good luck with the next run!

Go as slowly as you need to :)

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    Super news! Sounds like you are doing it right! It's not going to be easy and it will challenge you, but you as you say, so exhilarating and totally worth it! Keep posting the runs and good luck with the next run!

Go as slowly as you need to :)

Thanks so much. The encouragement here is just great. One question. What do people do on rest days? Complete rest or go for a walk?

I had to take 2 x 30sec walk breaks on w5d3. I thought I was going to exhale a lung. I'm a smoker who has been gradually smoking less since I started C25K. I'm down to about 10 a day now from 20-30. Cutting back, and I'll get there as I will with C25K.

So back to w5d3 tomorrow!

Fair play, losing weight / getting fitter and giving up smoking at the same time ain't easy, I don't smoke but family members do so I've seen the struggles ha.

Great attitude, good luck with the next try.
    I know if I were in your shoes I'd be tempted to skip to the next week on the next jog regardless so kudos on doing the right thing and doing it again, you'll only benefit from it as I'm sure you're well aware.
    Thanks so much. The encouragement here is just great. One question. What do people do on rest days? Complete rest or go for a walk?

Personally, I do walks on my rest days, not sure about others, interested to hear others answer that too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

There isn't really a right or wrong answer as to what to do on rest days - whatever feels right for you.

I did completely rest when I was doing C25K.

Now I'm still running 5km three times a week, but I also walk three times a week. But then, I started very unfit. If you already have some fitness behind you then you might find you'd like the in between walk.

Well done!! Great start and it is such a good feeling! I kept smiling after my first run too. Bright red face and a great big smile! :D

I go for a walk on my rest days. I usually jog on my lunch break so it's nice to get out of the office on rest days too.

Last run in week 8 today :)

Been out of action this week with Bronchitis it was brewing late last week and felt something on my lungs on Thursday and Sunday, on steroids and antibiotics, hoping i can get out on Friday to start W4 (normally I run Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday) and start my week then and look to continue on starting Friday historically this might be a point where I would give up, miss a couple of days and would be saying there is no point but adamant that this wont happen this time. Hopefully I am up to a run Friday and get out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well done on starting, slow and easy is how it should be, Conversational pace ie you should be able to talk to an imaginary friend while running if you're doing it alone.

Rest days: your normal daily routine no running but a nice easy walk should be ok. The rest days are just as important as the running days they allow your body to recover enough from the exertions of the previous days run.

Keep us posted.

Well done!! Great start and it is such a good feeling! I kept smiling after my first run too. Bright red face and a great big smile! :D

I go for a walk on my rest days. I usually jog on my lunch break so it's nice to get out of the office on rest days too.

Last run in week 8 today :)

8 weeks, wow. Feels like such a long time now.

Week 4 run 2 finished (walking back from the jog now).

First proper sweat of this plan started today, feels good.

I know its VERY early stages but this week all I could think about in work was my next jog, really enjoying the plan.

You have the bug Sumsar :) Thats how I started

Did the last run in week 8 (28 minutes) yesterday and for the first time in the programme my legs hurt. Not massively painful but sore, both last night and today.

I am going to wait for 2 days before starting week 9.

Anything to be done or do I just need to toughen up?!

You should always take a 2 day break before starting a new week. How is your protein intake? When I increased my protein intake i recovered quicker.

Chick peas, black turtle beans and peas are all high in protein.

pcuser wrote: »
    You should always take a 2 day break before starting a new week. How is your protein intake? When I increased my protein intake i recovered quicker.

Chick peas, black turtle beans and peas are all high in protein.

I have been doing that since I found out you were supposed to. I actually didn't know that prior to The Muppet saying it. Have been taking a complete break at the weekend between weeks since he said it.

Actually protein intake is pretty good - always have eggs for breakfast and red meat / chicken / fish daily.

I did speed up in the last five minutes, but was really taking it slow for the rest of the jog. So maybe that was it

I did speed up in the last five minutes, but was really taking it slow for the rest of the jog. So maybe that was it

It could be that I wouldnt be 100% sure though. It would be best to take the advice of a more experience runner when they are online.

I had to miss a week due to an injury, I though that it would be much tougher to go back jogging after a week but it was fine. If I dont fell 100% I wont go for a run in case I get injured. Luckily though when you follow the program you should be fine.

Did the last run in week 8 (28 minutes) yesterday and for the first time in the programme my legs hurt. Not massively painful but sore, both last night and today.

I am presuming pain is a sign of some sort of stress and I wouldn't think it is a matter of toughening up. I am a complete novice though so what would I know really :D
    I am just in from second day's run. Felt great and am still buzzing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,517 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I've finally signed up for my local Couch to 5k after a few years of promising myself that I would do it.

I actually haven't ran since I stopped playing soccer nearly 10 years ago! So, I'm kinda not looking forward to it because I would be extremely unfit, but then again, that's why I decided to sign up for a course rather than going it alone.

• Advertisement

I am just in from second day's run. Felt great and am still buzzing.

Well done, Its a great feeling.

[QUOTE=mustang shelly;102334928 So, I'm kinda not looking forward to it because I would be extremely unfit, but then again, that's why I decided to sign up for a course rather than going it alone.[/QUOTE]

Just take it nice and slow when you start.

I remember I suffered from leg soreness between runs on the plan particularly as the runs got longer. Some soreness not pain is ok , If you have any doubt get it checked out.

Make sure your not pushing to much, Listen to your body, if you feel you really need an extra rest day to recover from a tough run take it.

How's your water intake, Its important to keep well hydrated too.

The Muppet wrote: »
    I remember I suffered from leg soreness between runs on the plan particularly as the runs got longer. Some soreness not pain is ok , If you have any doubt get it checked out.

Make sure your not pushing to much, Listen to your body, if you feel you really need an extra rest day to recover from a tough run take it.

How's your water intake, Its important to keep well hydrated too.

Its's just sore / stiffness and a possible over reaction! Feel better now this evening, so if I feel up to it will attempt it on Saturday / Sunday.

I could maybe increase water - I reckon I am having about 8 glasses a day.

Its's just sore / stiffness and a possible over reaction! Feel better now this evening, so if I feel up to it will attempt it on Saturday / Sunday.

I could maybe increase water - I reckon I am having about 8 glasses a day.

I'd say it;ll be grand saturday/Sunday too but if not be sensible.

Heres what the great Dubgal told us about hydration in this years novice marathon thread, being properly hydrated is very important, irrespective of distance .
    Dubgal wrote:
    You should get into the habit of hydrating throughout the week. If you do this, you don't need to worry too much about liquids on the morning of a lsr; I find a glass of water and coffee is enough and don't send me to the bushes mid-run. Again, now is the time to find what works for you. Have ye had the wee discussion yet?! Clear wee probably means you are over-hydrated, dark yellow means you are dehydrated. A light straw colour is the one you want to aim for

Week 4 D1 down today, better late than never, ran the last 2 minutes walk so mentally prepared myself for next run by running through the 5 minutes at the end :)

W9D1 done!!! :D

This was my first jog timing the distance and I managed to do 4.2k. Absolutely thrilled with that! Was hoping for at least 3.5k so really delighted. 2 more runs and I am a graduate! Woohoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 slanket

Hi all,
    Completed W3d2 yesterday, loving the programme so far. Found the first 90 sec run hard but must have got my second wind then cause I was disappointed when I had to start waking after the 3 min run - I felt like I could of kept going !

Support on this thread is great :-)

Well done Cookie, Messy and Slanket.

It really is a great feeling, Ye should be so proud :)

Been lurking on the thread so much over the weekend and only realised now I forgot to check in myself!

Finished Week 4 on Friday, I found it a little bit more challenging than the previous runs that week, I think it's because I done an early jog rather than an evening Jog.

When I say challenging, I done it all without stopping but it felt a bit harder than usual.. I'll stick to my evening jogs in future!

• Advertisement

Well done sumsar! I have W4 D2 done will have the week finished tomorrow, then looking forward to hitting week 5 on Thursday.
    Was looking through the history of the runs on the app and got great encouragement on how far we are after coming, more than double the running complete when you compare only as far back as W3D2. It is great motivation.

I am looking forward to todays jog...what has happened to me?! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Does anyone do other fitness programs along with jogging? I'm getting my 3 jogs (don't think I can call what I do running :D) in each week and want to start doing some weights on my non running days.

I did some reasonably light weights yesterday and was planning on doing 5k this evening but I'm (more than) a bit stiff today! I'm sure it will lessen the more I do them but I don't want my jogging to suffer due to it.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Here's something some of you who have graduated from c25k may be interested in. It does eat into time you could be running but for anyone considering running longer distances its an area you should really pay attention to now.

I'm giving it another go myself as its an area I know i need to improve.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/30daychallenge/

I'll bump this post again in case you didn't see it Northern Monkey.

I haven't started it yet but I intend to.

I'll bump this post again in case you didn't see it Northern Monkey.

I haven't started it yet but I intend to.

I'm halfway through this at the moment my second time to try it, First time I gave up in the second week, I was only running a while at the time and just couldn't or wasn't prepared to spend the time it takes to do it , Not sure which now.

It takes me up to half an hour each morning, I'm finding it tough enough but I am not the most supple of people, tight hamstrings don't help. My upper body strength is not great either so holding a plank while doing other stretches is difficult to me too.

On the plus side I am definitely noticing small improvements in my movements each week so will stick with it to the end of the 30 days. So overall IMO its tough going but worth the effort. I will continue with some of the exercises once ive finished the 30 days.

I also do a Pilates Class once a week and I really enjoy that and think its hugely beneficial to my running. I started it earlier this year when I was running 30 to 40 mile weeks and I think it kept me on the road. I always felt great the day after my Pilates class/

I know there are quite a few runners here who also do Pilates as part of their strength and conditioning program.

Graduated early this month and I've a couple of 5k's under my belt!

Unfortunately got a little bit of a toe injury and have missed a week :(

Got back out last night and did 3.06k in a very unfit 21.56 :)

Hoping for 5k again tomorrow night.

• Advertisement

Fair play, happy to hear that you're sticking with it after the set back.

As Laura says doesn't matter the speed just once you get the distance done!

Final run in week 9 done... I am a graduate!!! :D

Going to attempt a 5k park run at home this weekend, I reckon I could manage the extra distance (hopefully!)

Well done Messy, That fantastic news.

Congrats messy, looking forward to the day I get to say those words!

Done week 5 run 2 today.. both looking toward to run 3 and dreadding it at the same time.

I've gotten this far before so I know I can do it but based on tonights jog, not feeling too confident.

sumsar wrote: »

I've gotten this far before so I know I can do it but based on tonights jog, not feeling too confident.

Off day was it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement