Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Any tips for getting over stitches. My 11 year old daughter is doing the plan with me. We're only on W3 but she was getting stitches on the 3 minute runs the last day we ran, she got stitches on W1D1 but not since. We're going out tonight to do W3D3 so any suggestions would be great.

Im not sure anyone knows exactly the cause of stitches .

I'd start by making sure not to run too soon after eating, try leave 2 hours and be properly hydrated and slow down .

Regarding getting over them, deep breathing and pressing into the stitch appears to help on the odd ocaasion I've had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MyUserName08

The Muppet wrote: »
    Im not sure anyone knows exactly the cause of stitches .

I'd start by making sure not to run too soon after eating, try leave 2 hours and be properly hydrated and slow down .

Regarding getting over them, deep breathing and pressing into the stitch appears to help on the odd ocaasion I've had one.

Thanks The Muppet. We do leave an hour between running and eating but maybe she needs more time between, i'll keep an eye on that to see if it's a reason.

Between 1 thing and another we haven't gotten out since last Wednesday but we'll head out tonight. We've done lots of long walks since then so hopefully the break since our last run won't do us any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Three months later and I'm starting again! Thanks for the tips the last time, but life, health and a bunch of other things got in the way.

I've set myself a bit of a deadline to "run" a 5k mid November, so that's helping concentrate the mind a bit. I've learned to slow down a bit, which is helping, so thanks all for that advice.

One of the big differences is that I've started a marginally different plan, which is really a couch to 10k plan, but I figure I can do half and see how I get on ;)

It starts with walk 4 minutes, run 1 minute (x6 for days 1 and 2), then each week increases the running or decreases the walking bit by bit. I've done the first two days so far, and I'm finding the extra walking time between jogs is helpful at my level of "not having run in over 30 years".

While the 90 second recovery time was OK for the first 2-3 jogs on C25k, it wasn't enough recovery for me towards the end. I've noticed similarly on this programme, I'm ready to run again after 1-2 minutes at the start, but very glad of the 4 minutes towards the end, so I'm sticking to the 4 minute walk all the way through.

The other problem I resolved was that none of the c25k apps I found allowed you to vary the intervals, but then I discovered that Runkeeper lets you set up your own "One off workout" that you can save, so I've set up the first 5 weeks there, and get the voice telling me when to switch, while still being able to play my own music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

The best of luck with it Thoie,

The best of luck with it thoie .

The thread is quiet for this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

pcuser wrote: »
    The thread is quiet for this time of year.

I completed week 7 in November before hurting my knee. Several physio sessions later and got the go ahead to run/walk again from tomorrow.

Once I do three very easy runs with no issues I'm going to start again from week 5.

The best of luck. Would you roll back another week or 2? Or do you feel you body will be able for week 5? If you feel and niggling stop straight away. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

This thread is quiet!

Has everyone progressed to semi-pro athletes? 🙂

I’ve had almost a year out from jogging at this stage, mostly work related but also due to lack of motivation. I’ve been going to the gym fairly often in that time but changed focus to weights rather than cardio.

Decided to try out the treadmill over the weekend and I’m back in love with jogging again. I’ve started off with week 2 day one and certainly found it easier than the first time I went though c25k but I’m still feeling it this morning!

Week 2 done and dusted.

• Advertisement

Well done Northern Monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Any advice for a serial failer? I have tried this programme several times and just can't stick with it.

The only advice I could give would be to take it really slow and build gradually. The very 1st time I tried the app I had to stop half way on week 1 day 1. I was running too fast. I slowed down and 12 months later I ran a full marathon.What's the reason for not sticking with it? Family life, work etc?

pcuser wrote: »
    The only advice I could give would be to take it really slow and build gradually. The very 1st time I tried the app I had to stop half way on week 1 day 1. I was running too fast. I slowed down and 12 months later I ran a full marathon.What's the reason for not sticking with it? Family life, work etc?

That's impressive, and was my goal when I initially started. It's work mostly. The way my shifts are set it could be three days sometimes before I'd be free to progress, and then I'd have to do all the days one after the other with no rest day. Maybe the c25k isn't suited to me in that sense but I imagine it would be hard to build up to what I want with anything less.

andreoilin wrote: »
    Any advice for a serial failer? I have tried this programme several times and just can't stick with it.

Why do you feel can't you stick with it? It's not easy if you are starting out from the couch but it's certainly achievable .

sorry I should have read the whole thread before replying.

Its certainly difficult to fit in running with a busy life but if you really want to do it you will. I think its very important to stick to the schedule of a rest day between each day and two at the end of each week. Its takes half an hour on run days , would/could you run early in the morning before work? I did this myself when on the program and the runs were really enjoyable and set me up well for the day ahead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

^^ Agreed. Especially at this time of year when it's still bright out early in the morning.

Its takes half an hour on run days , would/could you run early in the morning before work? I did this myself when on the program and the runs were really enjoyable and set me up well for the day ahead.

I hadn't ever really considered running before work as I leave the house at 7am, work until 8pm, home at 9pm, and I have a few of those shifts one after another so always dead on my feet. It does seem like the way to go, though, and as you said it is just the 30 mins. I'd love to fit them in as this is something I'd genuinely love to achieve.

With that schedule is definitely try it before work i would imagine it could be difficult to go back out after getting in from work.

Doing it at lunchtime may also be an option if you have showering facilities at work.

If you really want to do it , you will find a way . , it,s so worth it.

Let us know how you get on.

When i started the program I was unfit . Some days I was tired and didn't feel up to it, but I did I found I had more energy from getting out. Best of luck, keep us updated.

• Advertisement

That’s week 3 done. I’m trying to focus on good habits this time round like a higher candence in the hope that it will be easier to maintain further down the line. Week 4 feels like it will be a step up in difficulty for me so let’s see how long it be good habits last!

Congrats on getting so far. Dont worry about whats ahead. If you managed to do week 3 you will have no problem with week 4. Again well done on getting this far and keep us updated

Week 4 done. My crohns was playing up this week which resulted in a 4 day gap between day 2 and 3 but it felt good.

The knock on impact is that I get to do week 5 day 3 in Killarney as we are going there next weekend. Hopefully the scenery will be enough of a distraction to keep me motoring for the full 20 minutes:D

Week 5 done. I ended up with a 1 1/2 week gap between day 2 and 3 due to a sore ankle and work getting in the way but was surprised at how comfortable it felt. Looking forward to finishing this out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Started the couch to 5k today.

I lost what fitness I had after being lazy for a while and having a major surgery earlier this year, so I'm starting from scratch.

For the last 2 weeks, I was jogging 1k every 2second day, with about 150m walking along the way, but it wasn't getting any easier and my left heel had a familiar pain the last couple of times.

Today I swapped my runners for a sturdier pair and did Day 1 of the C25k. A bit boring, but there wasn't any heel pain and it was 20 minutes of exercise as opposed to 7 minutes, so I think this is the way to go.

Week 2 done. I did each of the Week-1 and Week-2 runs 4 times rather than 3 times so that I have longer at each level before stepping up. I'm using the NHS Podcast to time myself. The music is atrocious. It's like something you'd hear on Nickelodeon.

So far I've been using a tiny park, but if/when I get up to longer distances, that won't really work, so I'll probably cycle to the Phoenix Park, which is about 5 minutes away.

• Advertisement

Good luck with the rest of the program. NHS podcasts are brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Is there any c25k app/program that allows you to listen to Spotify or your own music?

Scraggs wrote: »
    Is there any c25k app/program that allows you to listen to Spotify or your own music?

The couch 2 5k podcasts from the NHS website have the music. There's is also an app which you can download which does not have the music and you can listen to you own with that .

Links to apps here

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/?tabname=couch-to-5k

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Scraggs wrote: »

I used the zen labs c25k app and then just used the spotify app separately. Worked perfectly and the c25k app chimes in over spotify with whatever it needs to tell you then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Thank you both, worked perfectly!

• Advertisement

Did Week 4 Day 2 a few nights ago. Week 4 has twice as much jogging as W3, and slightly less walking, so it's now 22 minutes total of which 5.5 minutes is walking. It's going surprisingly well. I have to knock it on the head until Thursday for reasons beyond my control.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Did Week 4 Day 2 a few nights ago. Week 4 has twice as much jogging as W3, and slightly less walking, so it's now 22 minutes total of which 5.5 minutes is walking. It's going surprisingly well. I have to knock it on the head until Thursday for reasons beyond my control.

Well done, keep it up. I only started c25k properly in January and I'm heading for my first 10k race soon. It gets kind of addictive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,499 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm just after completing Week 4 Day 1 and have noticed that I'm getting a stitch in my side half way through the first 5 minute run. (I previously started Couch 2 5k a few years ago and had the same issue).

I was told many moons ago that this could be caused from drinking too much water before running but I stop drinking about 2 hours before I run. I really can't push it further out as I would be dying with thirst.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Any tips on how to overcome /avoid stitches going forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I'm just after completing Week 4 Day 1 and have noticed that I'm getting a stitch in my side half way through the first 5 minute run. (I previously started Couch 2 5k a few years ago and had the same issue).

I was told many moons ago that this could be caused from drinking too much water before running but I stop drinking about 2 hours before I run. I really can't push it further out as I would be dying with thirst.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Any tips on how to overcome /avoid stitches going forward?

Any stitch I have got, I have nearly always found it to be related to letting my own breathing technique get sloppy and shallow. As soon as I get back into a good rhythm it fades away and I can motor on.

Any stitch I have got, I have nearly always found it to be related to letting my own breathing technique get sloppy and shallow. As soon as I get back into a good rhythm it fades away and I can motor on.

I went out for Day 2 run tonight and took a slower pace than normal to focus on my breathing and hey presto, no stitch.

I've been really struggling since my Couch 2 5k class was deferred due to the virus.

I am doing a 10 week course and week 5 and 6 are the same. I did Week 5 Day 1 and 2 with my group before it was halted and managed to complete the two 5 minute runs and the 8 minute run in the middle.

However, I am failing miserably at trying to do this on my own. I only manage the first 5 minute run and this morning only 3 minutes (which is up from 1 minute and 2 minutes from my respective two previous attempts on my own) of the 8 minute run.

The first two runs were hindered by my legs just becoming very sore and stiff. Today's attempt was because I was completely out of breath and couldn't plough on through.

I'm feeling like a complete failure as I had planned to keep it up by myself and whenever the class starts back, I would be well able for it.

I'm thinking of dropping back to Week 4 tomorrow to see if I'm able to do this week again.

If you struggle to complete a week, then by all means drop back to the previous week.

But, if you're struggling and out of breath, you're probably running too fast. Slow down. Slow so far down you think you're hardly moving at all. When you've run your first 5km, you can then start working on speed. But for now. Just keep it very very slow.

quickbeam wrote: »
    But, if you're struggling and out of breath, you're probably running too fast. Slow down.

I think that is a big part of my problem and why I am struggling without my running group.

Whenever I felt that my pace was too fast, I was able to drop behind the first few runners of the group that were behind me but on my own I feel like if I slow down anymore I'll be on my hands and knees crawling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Run as though you can do so and hold a conversation at the same time, nice and easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think that is a big part of my problem and why I am struggling without my running group.

Whenever I felt that my pace was too fast, I was able to drop behind the first few runners of the group that were behind me but on my own I feel like if I slow down anymore I'll be on my hands and knees crawling.

I'd say it's hard to adjust to running on your own when you're used to having a group to run with but it's worth getting used to it and hopefully in time you can embrace it, it's very freeing not to be restricted by the group's schedule.

If you're out of breath you're definitely running too fast. Try to shift your mindset on your next run - make it a goal to run your slowest run ever and praise yourself if you achieve it. If you feel you're running too fast shaking out your arms and shoulders and even your jaw a little can help you to relax and this can may bring the pace back.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice. Today I managed to complete the three runs (just about but I'll take it as a little victory as I didn't drop back to Week 4).

I took all advice on board and it really helped today, particularly when I found my pace getting away from me a few times.

Congrats Shelly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Have started something like this, found it in the Irish Times archives, 8 weeks to run for 30 mins rather than a 5k target as such.

This week one run was 11 min, walk 4, run 11, walk 4,

Last week one was run 10, walk 5, run 10 etc...

I found with both runs, the initial 10/11 was fine, the walk then fine, but when I thrn started jogging again I was getting a lot of aches and niggles for the first minute or two... After that was fine again... It was like I'd cooled down too much (I was walking fast)... Nothing major but it feels wrong, wonder should I do a quick few dynamic stretches for even 30 seconds or something after the 10/11 (probably 12 next) jog??

It does sound like you cooled down too much .you could shorten the walk a bit to see if that made a difference.

It does sound like you cooled down too much .you could shorten the walk a bit to see if that made a difference.

Cool ill try that thanks, I've been sticking exactly to the instructions to date but will start making some changes

What week of the plan are you on and what level of fitness did you have at the outset? Keep the runs slow, a good guide is that you should be able to hold a conversation while running. The best of luck with it .let us know how your progress is going .

What week of the plan are you on and what level of fitness did you have at the outset? Keep the runs slow, a good guide is that you should be able to hold a conversation while running. The best of luck with it .let us know how your progress is going .

I'm on week 6 of 8.

Today was 40 mins in total, with 24 mins actually running, and I covered just over 7km. Every outing starts with a 5 min walk.... When can I drop these and start a slow jog straight from the get go??

Fitness at outset very poor, but historically (ancient history really) had good fitness but never ran before.... I was more of a rugby back physique than a jogger... I'm not quite a prop now but far, far from being in shape too. Realistically I'll never be a runner as I'm a big unit, even if I slim down.

Progress going OK, first week or two I had a lot of niggles and pains in hips, calfs, knees etc but I'm sticking with the programme, very gentle increase each week.

Ps, I'm definitely getting short on breath at times and conscious I'm going probably a bit faster than is comfortable for me (with the view then to recovering during the very frequent walking parts). That said, while I'm pushing myself, I'm nowhere near gasping /panting / vomiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

When can I drop these and start a slow jog straight from the get go??

You can't/shouldn't. The purpose is to give you a gentle warm up.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

I'd keep the warm ups too . 7k in 40 minutes with 24 mins running sounds like your runs are too fast imo.

• Advertisement

I would keep the warm ups too. Taking you declared level of fitness into account .,7 k in 40 mins with 24 minutes running sounds to me that you may be running too fast . For now you runs should really be slow at conversational pace . You may find this article of interest.

https://www-self-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.self.com/story/how-running-slow-helps-you-get-faster/amp?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASDAAQE%3D#aoh=15881993028310&amp_ct=1588199397816&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.self.com%2Fstory%2Fhow-running-slow-helps-you-get-faster

Advertisement