Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

pcuser wrote: »
    Just slow down even more. You should be able to have a conservation while you are running. Its not about speed.

I found the first night easier alright because I know you should be able to maintain a conversation while running, so myself and one of the other ladies spent the entire session chatting and we were able to adjust our pace a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Just heading out to do Week 1 day 3. Day 2 went great after so it must have been the hangover from sickness made day 1 so hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

it must have been the hangover

Not even a week in an you are a hardcore runner all ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

I'm just over a nasty bout of bronchitis. I had finished w5d3... I'm gutted that I got sick when I did but it happened and now I feel ready to get back to it. I'm going to redo week 5. Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I'm just over a nasty bout of bronchitis. I had finished w5d3... I'm gutted that I got sick when I did but it happened and now I feel ready to get back to it. I'm going to redo week 5. Wish me luck!

Bad luck with the sickness but at least you got the 20 minute run done so u know whats involved mentally and you can do the time, Good luck with the comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Week 8 day 1 done today.

I'd be lieing if I said it was easy tonight, my legs were feeling heavy and just didn't want to move.. the whole jog was a battle of will power if I'm being honest.

Got it done and I'm hoping now that I got the first day in, my body is ready and rearing for day 2.. I know my mind is.

Week 2 Day 1 completed tonight.

I would of been flying it, if it weren't for the fact that I got a draft on my back in work today and I experienced a lot of discomfort when out running. Hopefully, I will shake it off quickly and can do the next two days by myself.

But besides that, I did notice an improvement in my fitness levels as I wasn't puffing and panting after the warm ups before we went for our runs, so at least there's a positive I can take from tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

W5D1 done! Again lol

I found it easier than the first time even though I haven't done any running for a few weeks now. Calves felt very tight though, hamstrings complaining a bit too. I'll do some yoga tomorrow to stretch them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

Week 2 Day 1 completed tonight.

I would of been flying it, if it weren't for the fact that I got a draft on my back in work today and I experienced a lot of discomfort when out running. Hopefully, I will shake it off quickly and can do the next two days by myself.

But besides that, I did notice an improvement in my fitness levels as I wasn't puffing and panting after the warm ups before we went for our runs, so at least there's a positive I can take from tonight :)

I feel your pain. Literally. I was ready for a run today at lunchtime, had my tracksuit on, was darting around the house grabbing keys and phone - and suddenly my back twinged hard. Tried to walk it off, but couldn't straighten fully without pain.
    Still sore this evening. Really hoping to wake up tomorrow without any stiffness so I can go out.

Finished the couch 2 5k today :-)

I didn't get a chance to do run 3 the last two days, done it today.

As the jog was 30 minutes long I decided to use runkeeper for the jog to see what the distance was, I got the 5k notification at the 29minute mark.

So got to 5k with the 30minutes, I'm happy with that and look forward to improving it.

• Advertisement

sumsar wrote: »
    Finished the couch 2 5k today :-)

I didn't get a chance to do run 3 the last two days, done it today.

As the jog was 30 minutes long I decided to use runkeeper for the jog to see what the distance was, I got the 5k notification at the 29minute mark.

So got to 5k with the 30minutes, I'm happy with that and look forward to improving it.

Well done, great achievement.

I got the 5k notification at the 29minute mark.

Well done Sumsar that is quiet impressive.

A stupid question but I'm asking hoping for an answer different to the one I have :rolleyes:

I did Week 2 Day 1 nearly a fortnight ago and suffered a back injury earlier that day. I have missed the two runs for Week 2 and all of the runs for Week 3.

My class is meeting up on Monday night to start Week 4 Day 1. I'm crazy thinking of turning up if my back heals over the weekend right? I should just drop out and start again when I'm ready?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yes, crazy to skip the rest of Wk 2 and all of Wk 3.

But, no need to start from scratch if your back heals by, say Monday, just do the second WK 2 run and continue from there.

quickbeam wrote: »
    Yes, crazy to skip the rest of Wk 2 and all of Wk 3.

But, no need to start from scratch if your back heals by, say Monday, just do the second WK 2 run and continue from there.

Thanks for that.

I thought I would have to start from the beginning again.

Hi guys keeping up with the training but it is sporadic, could do three one week but takes me 2 weeks to do the next 3. I am on week 5 but cannot run for the allotted time. I can run for sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes only 1.5 minutes. My question is should I stick at week 4 till I can easily run the 2.5 minutes and then move on or should I keep going through the weeks and run what I can and walk the rest.

Hope everyone else is doing well with the training.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Hi guys keeping up with the training but it is sporadic, could do three one week but takes me 2 weeks to do the next 3. I am on week 5 but cannot run for the allotted time. I can run for sometimes 2 minutes, sometimes only 1.5 minutes. My question is should I stick at week 4 till I can easily run the 2.5 minutes and then move on or should I keep going through the weeks and run what I can and walk the rest.

Hope everyone else is doing well with the training.

Could you possibly be jogging too fast? If I were you I would do week four again but at a slower pace (like barely faster than a walk) until you feel confident about starting week five.

Best of luck with it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I would suggest that you don't need to "easily" run the alloted times before moving on. If you can run them without stopping, even with difficulty, then proceed to the next week. If you can't manage the following week at all, then repeat it, until you can manage it, but again, it doesn't have to be completed easily.

How fast are you running the running parts? I would suggest you slow down. Even if you think you're already going slowly, then go even slower. Even if walkers are over-taking you, it doesn't matter. Run each running part as slow as you need to in order to get through it.

I would suggest that you don't need to "easily" run the alloted times before moving on. If you can run them without stopping, even with difficulty, then proceed to the next week. If you can't manage the following week at all, then repeat it, until you can manage it, but again, it doesn't have to be completed easily.

How fast are you running the running parts? I would suggest you slow down. Even if you think you're already going slowly, then go even slower. Even if walkers are over-taking you, it doesn't matter. Run each running part as slow as you need to in order to get through it.

I need to stop and slow down to a walk. I don't think I am running at all fast but I will try going slower, thanks.:)

Thank you so much, I slowed down today and managed week. 3 minute runs and I did grand. Now a walking me would probably not be much slower buy yaaaay, felt great to finish each 3 minutes. Thanks again.:D

• Advertisement

Now a walking me would probably not be much slower buy yaaaay, felt great to finish each 3 minutes. Thanks again.:D

Well done, It does get easier as you go on. Chances are once you pass week 4 you will finish the program so you are quiet close.

pcuser wrote: »
    Well done, It does get easier as you go on. Chances are once you pass week 4 you will finish the program so you are quiet close.

I hope I don't find it too hard as it goes on but determined to do it even if it takes more weeks.

Thats the spirit, It does not matter if it takes you a bit longer. You are still exercising and doing a lot more than you were before you started.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

I said I might as well post here as anywhere else.

I graduated from the C25K programme in early January and since then I've been finding it really hard to fit in runs. And I'm also going to admit to laziness.

I've run around 5K five times since I graduated and I've also run 3K five times. My last three runs have been 3K.

Went out last night intending to do 5K but stopped at just under the 3K mark. Very disappointing. Losing fitness and need to get my ass in gear again.

St Patrick's Day will be an important one - need to get back running every second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I said I might as well post here as anywhere else.

I graduated from the C25K programme in early January and since then I've been finding it really hard to fit in runs. And I'm also going to admit to laziness.

I've run around 5K five times since I graduated and I've also run 3K five times. My last three runs have been 3K.

Went out last night intending to do 5K but stopped at just under the 3K mark. Very disappointing. Losing fitness and need to get my ass in gear again.

St Patrick's Day will be an important one - need to get back running every second day.

I graduated in November if I remember correctly and I was worried that I wouldn't be getting out enough.

SO I signed up to a 10k. The "Great Ireland Run" in Phoenix Park in April. The fact that i'm doing the race is the sole reason i'm still running. I've been building up 0.5k extra a week. Im up to running 9k now. I do that once a week and I try to run once more in the week just 5k.

It's amazing how running a 5k feels a treat when the alternative is 8.5k or 9k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

When the c25k program is over, it's hard to keep up the same momentum on your own. Having a program, a plan or a goal helps motivate to get you out of the house. I would suggest looking for a plan to improve your 5k time or to extend from 5k to 10k. Perhaps sign up for a 5km race. Or even look up parkrun Ireland to see where your nearest one is, they are free to participate in.
    Ps - well done for completing the c25k program!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    When the c25k program is over, it's hard to keep up the same momentum on your own. Having a program, a plan or a goal helps motivate to get you out of the house. I would suggest looking for a plan to improve your 5k time or to extend from 5k to 10k. Perhaps sign up for a 5km race. Or even look up parkrun Ireland to see where your nearest one is, they are free to participate in.
    Ps - well done for completing the c25k program!

I couldn't agree more 4 years after finishing c25k I still find running to a plan the best motivation to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

It's got a bit quieter in here of late. How is everyone getting on with the program?

Just dropped in to say I can't believe how much difference a pair of socks has made to my running. Up until a few weeks ago I ran in thin socks but switched to a thicker pair I have had a while but never used one day it was cold. The difference in cushioning is amazing! I've hit my first 25k week as a result!

It's got a bit quieter in here of late. How is everyone getting on with the program?

Just dropped in to say I can't believe how much difference a pair of socks has made to my running. Up until a few weeks ago I ran in thin socks but switched to a thicker pair I have had a while but never used one day it was cold. The difference in cushioning is amazing! I've hit my first 25k week as a result!

I have been missing this thread to be honest, I decided to start the couch to 10k app this week, so I think this means I can now post here again? ;):D

I finished the C25K on the 19th of February (a Sunday), then my weekly runs were as shown in the attachment I included.

Due to the inconsistency of my weeks I knew I needed to start a plan, so I decided to start the Couch to 10k, finished day 2 yesterday.. I'm gonna keep posting here after each run of the c210k to keep myself motivated, I hope people don't mind.

When I finish the plan, I'm going to have to find another plan and start a log as I believe that's the best route for me personally.

On a side note.... I've not lost any weight since I started jogging, that's purely down to diet, in fact I've gained weight, but now that I'm working on building up to 10k I think I need to take my diet more seriously, anyone got any tips of plans out there or just general advice?

• Advertisement

I have been missing this thread to be honest, I decided to start the couch to 10k app this week, so I think this means I can now post here again? ;):D

I finished the C25K on the 19th of February (a Sunday), then my weekly runs were as shown in the attachment I included.

Due to the inconsistency of my weeks I knew I needed to start a plan, so I decided to start the Couch to 10k, finished day 2 yesterday.. I'm gonna keep posting here after each run of the c210k to keep myself motivated, I hope people don't mind.

When I finish the plan, I'm going to have to find another plan and start a log as I believe that's the best route for me personally.

On a side note.... I've not lost any weight since I started jogging, that's purely down to diet, in fact I've gained weight, but now that I'm working on building up to 10k I think I need to take my diet more seriously, anyone got any tips of plans out there or just general advice?

Sounds similar to my own experience running to a plan helps the motivation as does keeping a log or just sharing your experiences with like minded people as happens in this thread.

Re diet : tracking your intake with an app like myfitnespal pal is hugely beneficial. If you log everything you eat it will help you make the beneficial choices with your diet.

Good luck with the 10k plan and weight loss plans

Advertisement