Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Just finished week 9, first week of couch to 10k.

I hope its not against the rules to keep posting here but I believe I seen someone doing it before for couch to 10k so gonna do it too, if that's ok.

It's a bit odd going back to intervals after doing 5ks for the last month but it feels good to be honest.. I felt better at the end of today's run than I felt at the end of some of my 5ks... Odd that.

Happy to be back on a plan and looking forward to progressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

I've been using week 9 of the NHS podcasts repeatedly, but it disappeared off my phone. Went back to their site and discovered a different set of podcasts for "graduates" of the programme here

Tried one of them today, the stepping stone one which seems aimed at upping speed. Laura is back! She paces you to run at 150 bpm (I found this comfortable), then step up to 155 bpm (I found this tough) and to finish off at 160 bpm which I simply couldn't do. So something to keep working on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

NHS podcasts is how I got started with running/C25k to begin with. If anyone asks I always mention them. Good to hear word is getting around.

Very good... I've decided to go for the 10k via the normal bridge (Zen studio) via my own pace myself.

However when I'm finished that I plan on working on my speed ... (I'm also currently doing that at the moment but not with any set plan).

You said you've been doing week 9 for a few weeks, what's the plan there? Wait till you find it more relaxed then move on?

/edit/ Or am I confused by your post?

sumsar wrote: »
    Very good... I've decided to go for the 10k via the normal bridge (Zen studio) via my own pace myself.

However when I'm finished that I plan on working on my speed ... (I'm also currently doing that at the moment but not with any set plan).

You said you've been doing week 9 for a few weeks, what's the plan there? Wait till you find it more relaxed then move on?

/edit/ Or am I confused by your post?

No real plan - when I don't have my ipod and only my phone, I stick on week 9 to give myself music for 30 minutes. I've been trying to work up to 5K so once a week I'll up the distance, but I'm topping out at 4.5K at the moment at a slow pace.
    I think I'll experiment with upping the pace. The NHS podcasts use specific music to give the beats per min, otherwise I'd be tripping over my own feet trying to count!

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

After reading wavehoppers post and some of the training logs on here I began to notice there are different plans for the bridge to 10k... I assumed that the plans would all be the same as I assume all couch to 5k plans are the same (could be completely wrong but that's what I assumed).

As I've just realised that the bridge to 10k plans tend to be different, I'm wondering if someone or some of you could give some feedback / suggestions from their experience?

The plan I'm doing is the same as https://blog.bluefinapps.com/about-bridge-to-10k/
    • Week 1 Duration: 53 min. - Run 10 min/walk 1 min Repeat x 4.
    • Week 2 Duration: 57 min. - Run 15 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3.
    • Week 3 Duration: 63 min. - Run 17 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3.
    • Week 4 Duration: 66 min. - Run 18 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 3.
    • Week 5 Day 1: Duration: 55 min.
      Run 22 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2.Day 2: Duration: 61 min.
      Run 25 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2.Day 3: Duration: 71 min.
      Run 30 min/walk 1 min. Repeat x 2.[/INDENT]
    • Week 6 Duration: 70 min. - Run 60 min.

But I see other plans which involve just extending the runs each week rather than doing intervals.... personally I' m enjoying the plan I'm on so far but if people with more experience than me suggest other plans I'm open to changing plans as I value all suggestions / advice.

Other plans I found for example include;
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k10kschedules/
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/138.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I've started this but can't find an app to match my time. For example both apps I've downloaded are finished while I'm on about 4km. I've clocked how far 5km is and I'm not finished the distance and the app is already finished. I know I'm slow at it and I'll get quicker hopefully!!! Can anyone recommend an app that lasts the time as well as the distance please? I'm not very technical at these things either! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The couch to 5 k program is really all about running non stop for 30 minutes , in the 9 weeks of the program some will reach 5 k in that time some will not .

Those of us who did not reach the distance on the plan set 5k as the next target followed by 5k in 30 minutes as the next target.

There are lots off apps that will measure your time and distance . I used endomondo in my time but there are lots more like map my run strave etc .

Don't get too caught up in time and distance . Gradually build on where you are now and it will all come in time.

The Muppet wrote: »
    The couch to 5 k program is really all about running non stop for 30 minutes , in the 9 weeks of the program some will reach 5 k in that time some will not .

Those of us who did not reach the distance on the plan set 5k as the next target followed by 5k in 30 minutes as the next target.

There are lots off apps that will measure your time and distance . I used endomondo in my time but there are lots more like map my run strave etc .

Don't get too caught up in time and distance . Gradually build on where you are now and it will all come in time.

Thanks for that. So I'll stick with the app and when it says half way I'll turn back but keep walking and jogging and then when I manage that build up my speed hopefully!!! Thank you

Thanks for that. So I'll stick with the app and when it says half way I'll turn back but keep walking and jogging and then when I manage that build up my speed hopefully!!! Thank you

that sounds good to me assuming your are on an out and back route for your runs. Stick to the plan for the 9 weeks , In the final week you will be running 30 minutes , you can use one of the apps mentioned to measure distance then just to see where you are and plan your future goals .

Everyone is different you may well be running the 5k within 30 minutes or less , the important part is that you will be able to run for 30 minutes non stop which may well sound improbable now but many of us here are proof that the plan works and it will get you there.

the best of luck with it and keep us updated on your progress here and most of all enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

The plan certainly works and running for 30 minutes is an achievement no matter what the distance. Your speed will increase over time,

You are doing great keep at it :)

Muppet gives you great advice there.

So as you don't feel like it's just you...I was running 3.5 K at end of week 9 with the apps, so what I do now is for at least one of my weekly runs I keep running to build up the distance. Just don't forget to add the 5 minute brisk walk warm-down at the end.

Thanks a million for the encouragement. I gave it two trial runs this week. I wanted no excuses for next week so I've tested the app and I know I can and will do it. Thanks everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,254 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can I just pop in here and say that when I was doing Couch to 5k I was kinda getting caught up with the time/speed thing. I was worrying about not going fast enough etc.

As soon as I stopped worrying about that, I had a breakthrough! I started running at whatever pace was comfortable at the time. When I finally did the 30 mins I was nowhere near 5k. And, in fact, I still haven't done a 5k in less than 30 mins. But it's coming. I'm naturally getting faster. Eventually i'll be doing sub 30 min 5k and it'll all be from practice.

I find that as well MrStuffins, The more I run the better my time gets. A sub 30 seemed impossible when I finished the app. A few months later and I have a sub 30 and a sub 25. I also have a sub 1Hr 10K and a sub 55 10 K.

Dont get caught up in time/distance like MrStuffins has said. Eventually it will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I posted this in the Fenix 3 thread but no harm dropping it here as well. £250 is a great price for this, I love mine! Probably overkill for most of us but at the price it's worth considering if you are thinking about a GPS watch.

https://www.snowandrock.com/p/garmin-fenix-3-sapphire-hr-performer-bundle-EA214126.124.html

Just finished week 10 (Wk 2 of b210k)..

I almost hate myself for enjoying last week's run 3, todays was much harder, really had to push myself the last 2 minutes.

Not sure if it was my mind or body that wanted to stop when I had two minutes left on the clock but I kept telling myself, I've got this far without stopping or quitting any day so why change that now.

I think it was the sun beating down my face for the first time this plan.. that's what ill tell myself anyways ha.

But sure, I finished another week so happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

The FB memory thing today reminded me that I started the C25K programme on this day 5 years ago. I only finished it last year, having given up on it a few times. Really wish I'd stuck with it the first time, all those wasted years.

muddypaws wrote:
    The FB memory thing today reminded me that I started the C25K programme on this day 5 years ago. I only finished it last year, having given up on it a few times. Really wish I'd stuck with it the first time, all those wasted years.

I know the feeling, been using runkeeper and it shows my runs from 5 years ago where I've been running further and faster. If only I kept it up ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

It's got a bit quieter in here of late. How is everyone getting on with the program?

Just dropped in to say I can't believe how much difference a pair of socks has made to my running. Up until a few weeks ago I ran in thin socks but switched to a thicker pair I have had a while but never used one day it was cold. The difference in cushioning is amazing! I've hit my first 25k week as a result!
    Hi NM. Can I ask you (and anyone else!) about the socks? Are they a particular type or brand? I just wear tennis socks and wonder if a better sock would help me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Starting tomorrow again. UGH!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Hi NM. Can I ask you (and anyone else!) about the socks? Are they a particular type or brand? I just wear tennis socks and wonder if a better sock would help me.

These are the ones i have. Only reason I have them is I picked them up in a Nike outlet:

http://www.prodirectrunning.com/products/Nike-Elite-Running-Cushion-No-Show-Tab-Running-Socks-WhiteLight-Base-GreyMedium-Base-Grey-71045.aspx?gclid=CLz2lo6LitMCFe8V0wodNn4JVw

I've seen 1000 mile socks mentioned quite a lot as being good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I've seen 1000 mile socks mentioned quite a lot as being good.

I used those for C25K and also up to and including the marathon. Good socks :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Another 1000 mile sock fan here . I wear them on all my runs

Due to a bunch of different reasons I didn't complete the week of the bridge to 10k last week.

As a result a rather than repeate it I have decided to hold off on the bridge to 10k for a few weeks.

I've exams in college coming up, that along with my full time job taking up most of my time, I've decided to keep at doing 5k jogs until my exams are over and then try build up to 10 again when I've more free time.

I also think it's a good opportunity for me to re assess the plans out there and to figure out what plan might be best for me.

Might copy muppets hal higdon approach, seems more enjoyable and realistic than the bridge imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I am going to do a 5k next weekend. Finished the couch to 5k but don't think I ever actually did 5k. Have signed up for one now. Wish me luck

Sumsar I was using the Hal Higdon guide for the half marathon until i got injured and found it brilliant. It gradually increases distance but lots of stamina increasing runs.

Clarewithani just take it nice and easy and you will be fine. Its not a race

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good luck, Claire. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I am going to do a 5k next weekend. Finished the couch to 5k but don't think I ever actually did 5k. Have signed up for one now. Wish me luck

Well done for finishing!!!! And wishing you lots of luck! Don't worry about the time for your first one but concentrate on getting to the finish line without having to walk. Don't go out too fast! But run as fast as you can for the last few minutes.
    Report back!!

• Advertisement

Congraulations on finishing the plan and the best of luck in the 5k. I didn't run 5k until a good few weeks after the program and it took me months to get the 5k in 30 minutes.

Advertisement