Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gremlin2011

So I got to week 6 or 7 when I did the 5k race. My son did it with me and we got a time of 50 minutes! I was so proud of him for doing it, he did find it hard going, he really earned that medal. I think I would have done it in ~40mins on my own, I did a very easy 5km run a couple of nights later on my own in 43 minutes

Since the start of April, I've been doing 2 miles x 2-3 week and one 4-5km run. I'm really enjoying it. So much so that I keep looking at a half that's local in September. I know there's plenty of time to get my miles up slowly and finish somewhere between 2.30 and 2.45. Am I crazy even considering this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Ok I did the 5k today but not successfully. I walked a fair bit of it. I think I didn't warm up properly and got out of breath very early on and never recovered. Very disappointed. But, hey!! The only way is UP...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ok I did the 5k today but not successfully. I walked a fair bit of it. I think I didn't warm up properly and got out of breath very early on and never recovered. Very disappointed. But, hey!! The only way is UP...:)

That's the spirit!
    You probably started out a bit too fast. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement at the start. Race strategy will come with experience.
    Just make sure you keep the momentum up now and stick to your 3 runs a week and maybe follow a plan for 10k or a plan for improving your 5k. Main thing is to maintain consistency.
    Well done for covering the 5k distance!
    You could target another one in a few weeks maybe and start out super slowly the next time.

Ososlo wrote: »
    That's the spirit!
    You probably started out a bit too fast. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement at the start. Race strategy will come with experience.
    Just make sure you keep the momentum up now and stick to your 3 runs a week and maybe follow a plan for 10k or a plan for improving your 5k. Main thing is to maintain consistency.
    Well done for covering the 5k distance!
    You could target another one in a few weeks maybe and start out super slowly the next time.

Too right I started fast. Rest of the field started fast and there were quite a few at the starting line so I was afraid of looking like a snail...........Instead i looked like a snail at the end. I actually got lapped by someone who did the run twice. Bit demoralising, but still happy. I didn't called him a name. So proud of my discipline.

Too right I started fast. Rest of the field started fast and there were quite a few at the starting line so I was afraid of looking like a snail...........Instead i looked like a snail at the end. I actually got lapped by someone who did the run twice. Bit demoralising, but still happy. I didn't called him a name. So proud of my discipline.

Yeah, been there!! It's very hard to come back from starting out too fast. You learned the most important lesson of all today! Reverse the strategy for the next one and I bet you'll do much better. Break it down in 5 x 1ks or 3 x 1 miles and have an idea in your head about what way to tackle each section. It's great to have a focus.

You now have a time to beat for your next assault so it's great to have a marker. Lots of positives to take from it.
    Keep it up!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Being lapped in a 5k race can easily happen if your covering the distance in 30 minutes + which Is a decent pace for many runners. I wouldn't let that demoralise me.

Congratulations on your first 5k race You have you target now for the next one.

Everybody so nice here. don't exactly feel like a loser. One bit of good news, I wasn't last. Not many behind but there were people ( people sounds good but maybe only 2:):))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Did you warm up before the race? I make that mistake a lot, usually because I'm always late :p So I get out of breath really easily then at the start, but as the run goes on, it improves, if you do some warming up exercises before you start, it gets the heart pumping and will help with your breathing.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Did you warm up before the race? I make that mistake a lot, usually because I'm always late :p So I get out of breath really easily then at the start, but as the run goes on, it improves, if you do some warming up exercises before you start, it gets the heart pumping and will help with your breathing.

Eh tbh I did absolutely no warm up. Got lost on the way and was there 3 minutes before start. I didn't realise these things start on the dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

I know this is the couch to 5k thread but so far this is the only 'community' where I've been discussing my training so I just wanted to get this off my chest..

Done a 10k jog today :-) delighted! started the couch to 5k at New year's and have now done 10k.

Think soon enough I'll have to start posting a log as I can't post here forever! Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Well done sumar. Its a great feeling when you finish a distance that you have never ran before.

Definitely start a log, great way of keeping track of how far you have come.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The Muppet wrote: »
    Congraulations on finishing the plan and the best of luck in the 5k. I didn't run 5k until a good few weeks after the program and it took me months to get the 5k in 30 minutes.

If you don't mind saying - how long after running your first 5km, did it take you to do 5km in 30 minutes? I completed C25K in November running about 3km; and ran 5km for the first time in December in about 47 minutes!! (yikes!) And while I have certainly improved that time since then (I'm now at about 35 minutes), I'm still a good bit off my goal of 30 minutes. So, I'm just wondering if I'm behind the curve here? To be frank, I still have about 2 stone to lose so the more of that that comes off the faster I should be anyway.

quickbeam wrote: »
    If you don't mind saying - how long after running your first 5km, did it take you to do 5km in 30 minutes? I completed C25K in November running about 3km; and ran 5km for the first time in December in about 47 minutes!! (yikes!) And while I have certainly improved that time since then (I'm now at about 35 minutes), I'm still a good bit off my goal of 30 minutes. So, I'm just wondering if I'm behind the curve here? To be frank, I still have about 2 stone to lose so the more of that that comes off the faster I should be anyway.

I don't mind at all, I just looked back though my Garmin stats and it took me over a year to get to under 30 minutes fro 5k. Everyone is different and has different start out point fitness/health wise and so there is no such thing as being behind the curve as everyone's curve is individual to them.

Looking at your figures there i'd say your are improving quicker than I did, 47 to 35 minutes is excellent in a few months. Its good too to set goals.

yeah losing weight will help ,but its difficult. It was a gradual thing with me , a lot came off early on until I got to between 13 and 14 stone, (I'm 6.1 in height) and I sort of stayed at that for a few years losing a few pounds and gaining a few pounds, yo yoing.

I made a conscious effort this year to lose another stone , I'm just under 12 now and I certainly notice the difference on my runs.

I was well over 18 stone at my heaviest, not sure how much as when I got there i developed a phobia of weighing scales.

The best of luck with it, just keep running and enjoying it. Varying your runs might speed up the progression, ie running most of them easier that you can and then pushing on one run a week .Park run would be great for that, you always run quicker in that environment than on a solo run. Also vary the distances on the slower runs increasing one run a little every week.

The best of luck with it, just keep running and enjoying it. Varying your runs might speed up the progression, ie running most of them easier that you can and then pushing on one run a week .Park run would be great for that, you always run quicker in that environment than on a solo run. Also vary the distances on the slower runs increasing one run a little every week.

That's all some great advice... the more I read your posts Muppet the more I realise our similarities.

Similar to you, the heaviest I've been was 17st 11, for the last few years I've been bouncing around the 13-14st weight (once I was down to 12st 2 but that didn't last long).

I've been getting into my jogging lately and really enjoying it and keep saying to myself I'll copy your routines ha, now bearing in mind we really do have some similarities I will definitely follow your routines ha.

Anyways, I'm going to try out your advice about mixing up runs there as I need to get the weight down a bit at the moment so thanks for that advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

quickbeam wrote: »
    If you don't mind saying - how long after running your first 5km, did it take you to do 5km in 30 minutes?

I joined local parkrun when I was on week 7 or so, and did it in around 33 minutes, and got it under 30m a month later. It's been nearly 10 months after finishing C25K and I have not improved dramatically or anyting, my PB at that particular Parkrun is around 27 minutes. Last weekend I ran 15 km as my LSR, and that too was at around 6m/k pace. That appears to be my comfortable speed.

I wouldn't worry too much about the speed to be honest, it's probably more important to focus on increasing the distance even if you running at a relatively slower pace. As they say, to improve pace, you need to run longer, and to run longer you need to run slower. :D

sumsar wrote: »
    Anyways, I'm going to try out your advice about mixing up runs there as I need to get the weight down a bit at the moment so thanks for that advice.

Cheers, The weight loss is a strange thing. I used to think the more I ran the more weight I'd lose, but I found that not to be the case during my marathon training last year, I was running 40 plus miles a week with long runs 18 19 and 20 mile runs some weeks and my weight didn't alter very much at all , down a pound this week and up one next, I got down to 12 stone 10 nearing the end of the training cycle but I expected to lose a lot more ,

I'm now of the opinion that weight loss is 90% about diet , eating sensible portions good healthy food, it's a struggle at first but you get used to it and you realise a lot of our eating is down to habit or boredom and not when we are actually hungry. Obviously the running helps burn off the calories but I have learned that you can't run off a bad diet.

That's just my take on it perhaps more knowledgeable might differ.

There's great info on healthy eating on the nutrition and diet forum here on board. here's a link

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=982

Top notch as usual, will keep an eye on there.

I don't mind at all...

Thanks Muppet. I am actively losing weight and at current rate should be there by the end of the summer or early autumn, so I look forward to speeding up as that happens.

I run three times on my own every week (as I did during C25K - got into that habit so kept at it), and once more at Parkrun. I do tend to run them all at the same pace though - ie, as fast as I can push myself. Though that's in the high 6s per km. Two of those solo runs are now up to 6km, and I hope to add another kilometre soon and to keep adding until I'm at 10km (for starters - will look at 10 miles & half marathon distances after that).

I love reading your posts and your log. There's nearly always a nugget of great advice or motivation included; and knowing that you've come so far as an inspiration to me too. Thank-you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Hope I won't be murdered for not having read the entire thread, but here it goes.

I've lost quite a bit of weight lately through walking and the resolution of some medical issues, and now feel ready to move on to new challenges. Have had the C25K app for years (this one), but never been anywhere able for it.

I started the programme yesterday, but found that I couldn't maintain 60 seconds of running/jogging. I managed through the first 3 "jogging" minutes, but about 40 seconds into the 4th one I had to stop. I continued on and did a cool down walk. A friend who has gone from 0 to regularly doing 5ks in the last year mentioned starting with 30 seconds of running, then 90 seconds of walking at the very beginning, which I think I'd be able for. Does anyone know of any apps that build up even more gradually than the standard programme, or ones that you can enter your own intervals initially to build up to week 1?

Hi Thoie,

My advice is going to be what most people will advise, stick with the C25K but chances are you're going too fast, everyone (myself included) makes the same mistake.

Go at a slow pace, very slow, at first I couldn't get my head around how slow I was going and wanted to speed up but in the end it's the best advice you can get.

Look at the first 15 seconds of this video, go as slow as that and even slower if need be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyJd4mynggY

To add on to this, I started jogging at new years and even now when I do a slow jog sometimes I pass kids who are walking faster than me and I sometimes laugh in my head at how funny it might look but sure it helps keep me fit and at least I can laugh with it ha.
    Thoie wrote: »
    Hope I won't be murdered for not having read the entire thread, but here it goes.

I've lost quite a bit of weight lately through walking and the resolution of some medical issues, and now feel ready to move on to new challenges. Have had the C25K app for years (this one), but never been anywhere able for it.

I started the programme yesterday, but found that I couldn't maintain 60 seconds of running/jogging. I managed through the first 3 "jogging" minutes, but about 40 seconds into the 4th one I had to stop. I continued on and did a cool down walk. A friend who has gone from 0 to regularly doing 5ks in the last year mentioned starting with 30 seconds of running, then 90 seconds of walking at the very beginning, which I think I'd be able for. Does anyone know of any apps that build up even more gradually than the standard programme, or ones that you can enter your own intervals initially to build up to week 1?

• Advertisement

Yeah, good advice from Sumsar to slow it down. Chances are you were going too fast; we all do really when we start out as it's just instinct. Do the first rep as slowly as you possibly can and keep plenty in reserve for the last rep.
    Give it another go and get back to us. If you're embarrassed about how slowly you're going (I know I was), then do it in a quiet area if you can.
    I did the whole programme way too fast and found it extremely difficult and my sister who did it with me had to go to bed for the day after the first session:) but we both got through it. It does get easier, believe me!!!
    It's going to be tough if you're coming from a very low base of fitness, but sure if it was easy, then everyone would be doing it!
    Good luck!!!

I concur with Sumsar and Ososlo - do the jogging bit as slow as you can. Then when you think you're going slow enough, slow down even more :)

Also, congrats on the weight loss. We have similar journeys. I lost weight through improving my diet and taking the occasional walk, until I got to a stage that I could contemplate something more intense. I started C25K last September, and would have laughed in the face of anybody who said I'd actually manage to run for 1km, never mind 5km. The weight loss sped up and now I do 5km (and longer) four times a week. I'm a whole new person. Stick with the app (I used Zen Labs too), and you'll won't know yourself.

Post your updated here. You'll get great advice and encouragement. Plus, it'll keep you motivated - knowing that you have to give an update regularly. Best of luck, Thoie.

Thanks all - was worried I'd be beaten around the head by all the experts :)

There's a lot of things going on in real life at the moment, so it may take me a while before I manage to pass week 1. My ideal scenario is doing it 3-4 times a week, but it may be a month or so before I can get that much time. I was going to postpone until everything has settled down, but thought I'd just come up with some other excuse at that stage, so may as well start now, even if I have to repeat Week 1, Day 1 over and over :)

Haven't had a chance to watch that video yet, but will take a look later. I thought I was going slowly, but will check it out. According to runkeeper I seemed to be doing 8.5-9.5 mins per km during the jogging bit, which seems slow. My "brisk but not pushing myself" walking pace is around 11.5 mins per km at the moment.

I've found a great place to do this where I don't feel stupid, but unfortunately I'm going to be in a different city every week for the next 6 weeks, so will just have to brave doing it in various public places :D

Thanks all - was worried I'd be beaten around the head by all the experts :)

There's a lot of things going on in real life at the moment, so it may take me a while before I manage to pass week 1. My ideal scenario is doing it 3-4 times a week, but it may be a month or so before I can get that much time. I was going to postpone until everything has settled down, but thought I'd just come up with some other excuse at that stage, so may as well start now, even if I have to repeat Week 1, Day 1 over and over :)

Haven't had a chance to watch that video yet, but will take a look later. I thought I was going slowly, but will check it out. According to runkeeper I seemed to be doing 8.5-9.5 mins per km during the jogging bit, which seems slow. My "brisk but not pushing myself" walking pace is around 11.5 mins per km at the moment.

I've found a great place to do this where I don't feel stupid, but unfortunately I'm going to be in a different city every week for the next 6 weeks, so will just have to brave doing it in various public places :D

Most of us aren't experts at all, we've just been there and have done the programme and got out the other end in one piece!
    Nothing at all wrong with repeating days and weeks until you get it right.

If I was you I'd forget about paces altogether and just focus on effort - jogging at a very easy effort no matter what the numbers are. It's kinda pointless and can just be disheartening if you're having a bad day or whatever if you're worrying about paces. Plenty of time to stress about paces when you're finished the programme.

If you're going to be running abroad, then you have absolutely no excuse not to do it! Who cares as you won't know anyone:pac::)

Ososlo wrote: »
    Most of us aren't experts at all, we've just been there and have done the programme and got out the other end in one piece!
    Nothing at all wrong with repeating days and weeks until you get it right.

If I was you I'd forget about paces altogether and just focus on effort - jogging at a very easy effort no matter what the numbers are. It's kinda pointless and can just be disheartening if you're having a bad day or whatever if you're worrying about paces. Plenty of time to stress about paces when you're finished the programme.

If you're going to be running abroad, then you have absolutely no excuse not to do it! Who cares as you won't know anyone:pac::)

I don't usually look at pace, just went back to figure out how slow or otherwise I was going.

Sadly, not abroad, so "cities" was probably the wrong word to use ;)

Congratulations on making the start, taht's the hard part. Most of us Couch 2 5k runners make the very same mistake starting out, we run too quickly.

The only thing I would add to the advice you have all ready been given is to have a look at the NHS choices podcasts as an alternative option to the app. I started out with the app and changed to the podcast and found them brilliant. Perhaps that's just a personal thing but I have seen others here voicing the same opinion. Hers a link to the podcasts if you want to have a listen to them, they are free.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Good luck with the plans, keep us informed of your progress and if you have any questions just ask , someone here is bound to be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

+1 what others have said above.
    Well done on making a start. The first few weeks are tough, I'm not going to lie. The thoughts of being able to run for 30 mins seems impossible during your first week, I'm sure many of us considered throwing in the towel during the first week, myself included. I was disappointed in myself at feeling unable to do it. But all I can say is persevere. Follow the plan and slow down til you are moving at a grade just above walking. It will all come together after a few weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Would agree that the podcasts are worth a shot. I used them in 2011, can't recall if I even had a smartphone at that stage. I've positive memories of them and would have no hesitation about revisiting if I ever had to.

Congratulations on making the start, taht's the hard part. Most of us Couch 2 5k runners make the very same mistake starting out, we run too quickly.
    Hers a link to the podcasts if you want to have a listen to them, they are free.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

Good luck with the plans, keep us informed of your progress and if you have any questions just ask , someone here is bound to be able to help.
    Would agree that the podcasts are worth a shot. I used them in 2011, can't recall if I even had a smartphone at that stage. I've positive memories of them and would have no hesitation about revisiting if I ever had to.

Funny, I'd found the NHS Choices app, which looked like it would start me at 30 seconds, but it's not compatible with any of my devices, oddly. Had seen the podcasts, but didn't think of using them, will give them a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

Hey

Apologies for not reading the full thread, its very long :o So I've been planning on starting running for a while now. Ive started running on the threadmill just 1 mile a day in under 10 minutes. If I can do that everyday for a week I'm going to up my distance to 1.5 miles for a week (or atleast until I can run it comfortably) then 2 miles etc. I'm planning on running a 8k in September but I'd be happy if I manage the 5k. I'm only on my 2nd day as it is but does that sound like a reasonable plan. Theres also a 3 mile walking route close to my house that I've been walking after my jog. Idk if thats of any aid but maybe I'll eventually be able to run it.

Advertisement