Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MyUserName08

Completed W1D1 last night. I did run 5k's weekly about 3 years ago until i had to stop after hurting my back in an accident. Looking forward to getting back into it although i found it easier to progress when i had company. I'm not sure i'll have anyone this time.

Whats the best App to download or would i be better with a podcast and keeping track of my runs on something like 'Map my run'. I like the idea of an app though which shows which week/days i've actually completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Completed W1D1 last night. I did run 5k's weekly about 3 years ago until i had to stop after hurting my back in an accident. Looking forward to getting back into it although i found it easier to progress when i had company. I'm not sure i'll have anyone this time.

Whats the best App to download or would i be better with a podcast and keeping track of my runs on something like 'Map my run'. I like the idea of an app though which shows which week/days i've actually completed.

Most people swear by the NHS ones... http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

I used it but I have an Android so I needed to find a work around for an app as that is for iPhones.

Personally I used both that and zenlabs C25K app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congratulations on taking the plunge again , keep us informed of your progress.

Btw. Nhs Podcasts would be my preference too .

I settled on the Robert Ullerys podcast. I think this is the one i used previously. I've finished Week 1 and will start with Week 2 tomorrow.

I roped my 11 year old daughter into coming with me last night. I'll see how she gets on tomorrow and hopefully she'll continue to do it with me. Company for me and exercise for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Hi everyone,

I've just 'graduated' today from the programme. So it's quite ironic I've only discovered this thread! Lots of interesting and encouraging comments...

Prior to starting all those weeks ago, I was a bit of a slacker. Average weight for height etc (not overweight), but despite this I knew I needed something to push myself for and attain.

Yet here I am, feeling curiously deflated. Why? Well because I decided to have no distractions throughout C25K, until today when I borrowed a friend's sports watch to ascertain exactly how far I had been running for in the climax of week nine.

The upshot was, I ran for 3.71km today and I felt really, really disappointed. Given I had no slip ups with every run I thought if I had run 4km+ then that would stand me in good stead.

In fact, the more I think about it, the idea of Couch to 5k is a bit of a misnomer. 'Couch to 30' seems much more realistic. I'm not so sure too many people who complete the programme, do so having ran 5K by the end. Maybe I'm wrong.

It looks like I'm going to need a few more weeks of this, trying to build up pace over 30 minutes before subscribing to parkrun. I had hoped of doing it quite soon, but I'd rather wait until I'm confident as opposed to trailing in and feeling down about the whole thing.

Anyway, I'm disappointed but at least it's over now. A beer and ice cream tonight helped me cope a wee bit! As for running in general, I'll keep going for sure, with hopefully 5K not too far away.

Incidentally, I used the NHS podcasts which I would strongly recommend. I love Laura!

Haste ye onwards, C25K gurus!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

In fact, the more I think about it, the idea of Couch to 5k is a bit of a misnomer. 'Couch to 30' seems much more realistic.

Yep. 'Couch to 30 minutes' isn't as catchy though. :)

It took me a month between graduating and actually running 5k. That was a great feeling. It probably took me longer than most but it was so worth the effort .

A good tip for increasing the distance is to add 10% to your distance each week. Don't worry about your pace. Keep adding the distance while maintaining an easy pace. Improved pace will come later.

Congrats to you on achieving the first step. Onwards and upwards with you!!!

Congratulations on completing the plan, it's the start of something that can have a really positive effect on your life in general.

Ok so you didnt run 5k in 30 minutes ' some do , some don't , but you did run for 30 minutes just like thosé quicker runners . That is certainly an achievement and something you should be very proud of.

Now you all ready have your next goal to run 5 k , the goal after that will be to run 5k in 30 minutes and so it continues . Congratulations again and enjoy.

Congratulations on completing the plan, it's the start of something that can have a really positive effect on your life in general.

Ok so you didnt run 5k in 30 minutes ' some do , some don't , but you did run for 30 minutes just like thosé quicker runners . That is certainly an achievement and something you should be very proud of.

Now you all ready have your next goal to run 5 k , the goal after that will be to run 5k in 30 minutes and so it continues . Congratulations again and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

In fact, the more I think about it, the idea of Couch to 5k is a bit of a misnomer. 'Couch to 30' seems much more realistic. I'm not so sure too many people who complete the programme, do so having ran 5K by the end. Maybe I'm wrong.
    First of all well done for completing the C25K program. It's a great way to get a start into running. I did it a few years ago, have gone on to complete a number of 5k's and 10k's since and am running a couple of times a week. And I'm still not getting 5k done in under 30mins!

Keep up the running and the good work. As time goes on, you will find that a) in the 30 mins you will increase the distance covered and b) you will find yourself being able to run for longer than 30 mins. It really is something when you see the progress you make!

I have 2 suggestions:
    1) Download a free running tracker app, eg mapmyrun, strava, nike. They would be useful to see how far you go and how long, and you can see the improvements over time.
    2) Join your local parkrun - they are very friendly and inviting and suitable for all abilities.

Any tips for getting over stitches. My 11 year old daughter is doing the plan with me. We're only on W3 but she was getting stitches on the 3 minute runs the last day we ran, she got stitches on W1D1 but not since. We're going out tonight to do W3D3 so any suggestions would be great.

• Advertisement

Any tips for getting over stitches. My 11 year old daughter is doing the plan with me. We're only on W3 but she was getting stitches on the 3 minute runs the last day we ran, she got stitches on W1D1 but not since. We're going out tonight to do W3D3 so any suggestions would be great.

Im not sure anyone knows exactly the cause of stitches .

I'd start by making sure not to run too soon after eating, try leave 2 hours and be properly hydrated and slow down .

Regarding getting over them, deep breathing and pressing into the stitch appears to help on the odd ocaasion I've had one.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Im not sure anyone knows exactly the cause of stitches .

I'd start by making sure not to run too soon after eating, try leave 2 hours and be properly hydrated and slow down .

Regarding getting over them, deep breathing and pressing into the stitch appears to help on the odd ocaasion I've had one.

Thanks The Muppet. We do leave an hour between running and eating but maybe she needs more time between, i'll keep an eye on that to see if it's a reason.

Between 1 thing and another we haven't gotten out since last Wednesday but we'll head out tonight. We've done lots of long walks since then so hopefully the break since our last run won't do us any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Three months later and I'm starting again! Thanks for the tips the last time, but life, health and a bunch of other things got in the way.

I've set myself a bit of a deadline to "run" a 5k mid November, so that's helping concentrate the mind a bit. I've learned to slow down a bit, which is helping, so thanks all for that advice.

One of the big differences is that I've started a marginally different plan, which is really a couch to 10k plan, but I figure I can do half and see how I get on ;)

It starts with walk 4 minutes, run 1 minute (x6 for days 1 and 2), then each week increases the running or decreases the walking bit by bit. I've done the first two days so far, and I'm finding the extra walking time between jogs is helpful at my level of "not having run in over 30 years".

While the 90 second recovery time was OK for the first 2-3 jogs on C25k, it wasn't enough recovery for me towards the end. I've noticed similarly on this programme, I'm ready to run again after 1-2 minutes at the start, but very glad of the 4 minutes towards the end, so I'm sticking to the 4 minute walk all the way through.

The other problem I resolved was that none of the c25k apps I found allowed you to vary the intervals, but then I discovered that Runkeeper lets you set up your own "One off workout" that you can save, so I've set up the first 5 weeks there, and get the voice telling me when to switch, while still being able to play my own music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

The best of luck with it Thoie,

The best of luck with it thoie .

The thread is quiet for this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

pcuser wrote: »
    The thread is quiet for this time of year.

I completed week 7 in November before hurting my knee. Several physio sessions later and got the go ahead to run/walk again from tomorrow.

Once I do three very easy runs with no issues I'm going to start again from week 5.

The best of luck. Would you roll back another week or 2? Or do you feel you body will be able for week 5? If you feel and niggling stop straight away. Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

This thread is quiet!

Has everyone progressed to semi-pro athletes? 🙂

I’ve had almost a year out from jogging at this stage, mostly work related but also due to lack of motivation. I’ve been going to the gym fairly often in that time but changed focus to weights rather than cardio.

Decided to try out the treadmill over the weekend and I’m back in love with jogging again. I’ve started off with week 2 day one and certainly found it easier than the first time I went though c25k but I’m still feeling it this morning!

Week 2 done and dusted.

• Advertisement

Well done Northern Monkey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Any advice for a serial failer? I have tried this programme several times and just can't stick with it.

The only advice I could give would be to take it really slow and build gradually. The very 1st time I tried the app I had to stop half way on week 1 day 1. I was running too fast. I slowed down and 12 months later I ran a full marathon.What's the reason for not sticking with it? Family life, work etc?

pcuser wrote: »
    The only advice I could give would be to take it really slow and build gradually. The very 1st time I tried the app I had to stop half way on week 1 day 1. I was running too fast. I slowed down and 12 months later I ran a full marathon.What's the reason for not sticking with it? Family life, work etc?

That's impressive, and was my goal when I initially started. It's work mostly. The way my shifts are set it could be three days sometimes before I'd be free to progress, and then I'd have to do all the days one after the other with no rest day. Maybe the c25k isn't suited to me in that sense but I imagine it would be hard to build up to what I want with anything less.

andreoilin wrote: »
    Any advice for a serial failer? I have tried this programme several times and just can't stick with it.

Why do you feel can't you stick with it? It's not easy if you are starting out from the couch but it's certainly achievable .

sorry I should have read the whole thread before replying.

Its certainly difficult to fit in running with a busy life but if you really want to do it you will. I think its very important to stick to the schedule of a rest day between each day and two at the end of each week. Its takes half an hour on run days , would/could you run early in the morning before work? I did this myself when on the program and the runs were really enjoyable and set me up well for the day ahead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

^^ Agreed. Especially at this time of year when it's still bright out early in the morning.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Its takes half an hour on run days , would/could you run early in the morning before work? I did this myself when on the program and the runs were really enjoyable and set me up well for the day ahead.

I hadn't ever really considered running before work as I leave the house at 7am, work until 8pm, home at 9pm, and I have a few of those shifts one after another so always dead on my feet. It does seem like the way to go, though, and as you said it is just the 30 mins. I'd love to fit them in as this is something I'd genuinely love to achieve.

With that schedule is definitely try it before work i would imagine it could be difficult to go back out after getting in from work.

Doing it at lunchtime may also be an option if you have showering facilities at work.

If you really want to do it , you will find a way . , it,s so worth it.

Let us know how you get on.

When i started the program I was unfit . Some days I was tired and didn't feel up to it, but I did I found I had more energy from getting out. Best of luck, keep us updated.

• Advertisement

That’s week 3 done. I’m trying to focus on good habits this time round like a higher candence in the hope that it will be easier to maintain further down the line. Week 4 feels like it will be a step up in difficulty for me so let’s see how long it be good habits last!

Advertisement