Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Congrats on getting so far. Dont worry about whats ahead. If you managed to do week 3 you will have no problem with week 4. Again well done on getting this far and keep us updated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Week 4 done. My crohns was playing up this week which resulted in a 4 day gap between day 2 and 3 but it felt good.

The knock on impact is that I get to do week 5 day 3 in Killarney as we are going there next weekend. Hopefully the scenery will be enough of a distraction to keep me motoring for the full 20 minutes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Week 5 done. I ended up with a 1 1/2 week gap between day 2 and 3 due to a sore ankle and work getting in the way but was surprised at how comfortable it felt. Looking forward to finishing this out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Started the couch to 5k today.

I lost what fitness I had after being lazy for a while and having a major surgery earlier this year, so I'm starting from scratch.

For the last 2 weeks, I was jogging 1k every 2second day, with about 150m walking along the way, but it wasn't getting any easier and my left heel had a familiar pain the last couple of times.

Today I swapped my runners for a sturdier pair and did Day 1 of the C25k. A bit boring, but there wasn't any heel pain and it was 20 minutes of exercise as opposed to 7 minutes, so I think this is the way to go.

Week 2 done. I did each of the Week-1 and Week-2 runs 4 times rather than 3 times so that I have longer at each level before stepping up. I'm using the NHS Podcast to time myself. The music is atrocious. It's like something you'd hear on Nickelodeon.

So far I've been using a tiny park, but if/when I get up to longer distances, that won't really work, so I'll probably cycle to the Phoenix Park, which is about 5 minutes away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good luck with the rest of the program. NHS podcasts are brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Is there any c25k app/program that allows you to listen to Spotify or your own music?

Scraggs wrote: »
    Is there any c25k app/program that allows you to listen to Spotify or your own music?

The couch 2 5k podcasts from the NHS website have the music. There's is also an app which you can download which does not have the music and you can listen to you own with that .

Links to apps here

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/?tabname=couch-to-5k

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Scraggs wrote: »

I used the zen labs c25k app and then just used the spotify app separately. Worked perfectly and the c25k app chimes in over spotify with whatever it needs to tell you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Thank you both, worked perfectly!

• Advertisement

Did Week 4 Day 2 a few nights ago. Week 4 has twice as much jogging as W3, and slightly less walking, so it's now 22 minutes total of which 5.5 minutes is walking. It's going surprisingly well. I have to knock it on the head until Thursday for reasons beyond my control.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Did Week 4 Day 2 a few nights ago. Week 4 has twice as much jogging as W3, and slightly less walking, so it's now 22 minutes total of which 5.5 minutes is walking. It's going surprisingly well. I have to knock it on the head until Thursday for reasons beyond my control.

Well done, keep it up. I only started c25k properly in January and I'm heading for my first 10k race soon. It gets kind of addictive

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm just after completing Week 4 Day 1 and have noticed that I'm getting a stitch in my side half way through the first 5 minute run. (I previously started Couch 2 5k a few years ago and had the same issue).

I was told many moons ago that this could be caused from drinking too much water before running but I stop drinking about 2 hours before I run. I really can't push it further out as I would be dying with thirst.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Any tips on how to overcome /avoid stitches going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I'm just after completing Week 4 Day 1 and have noticed that I'm getting a stitch in my side half way through the first 5 minute run. (I previously started Couch 2 5k a few years ago and had the same issue).

I was told many moons ago that this could be caused from drinking too much water before running but I stop drinking about 2 hours before I run. I really can't push it further out as I would be dying with thirst.

Has anyone ever experienced something similar? Any tips on how to overcome /avoid stitches going forward?

Any stitch I have got, I have nearly always found it to be related to letting my own breathing technique get sloppy and shallow. As soon as I get back into a good rhythm it fades away and I can motor on.

Any stitch I have got, I have nearly always found it to be related to letting my own breathing technique get sloppy and shallow. As soon as I get back into a good rhythm it fades away and I can motor on.

I went out for Day 2 run tonight and took a slower pace than normal to focus on my breathing and hey presto, no stitch.

I've been really struggling since my Couch 2 5k class was deferred due to the virus.

I am doing a 10 week course and week 5 and 6 are the same. I did Week 5 Day 1 and 2 with my group before it was halted and managed to complete the two 5 minute runs and the 8 minute run in the middle.

However, I am failing miserably at trying to do this on my own. I only manage the first 5 minute run and this morning only 3 minutes (which is up from 1 minute and 2 minutes from my respective two previous attempts on my own) of the 8 minute run.

The first two runs were hindered by my legs just becoming very sore and stiff. Today's attempt was because I was completely out of breath and couldn't plough on through.

I'm feeling like a complete failure as I had planned to keep it up by myself and whenever the class starts back, I would be well able for it.

I'm thinking of dropping back to Week 4 tomorrow to see if I'm able to do this week again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

If you struggle to complete a week, then by all means drop back to the previous week.

But, if you're struggling and out of breath, you're probably running too fast. Slow down. Slow so far down you think you're hardly moving at all. When you've run your first 5km, you can then start working on speed. But for now. Just keep it very very slow.

quickbeam wrote: »
    But, if you're struggling and out of breath, you're probably running too fast. Slow down.

I think that is a big part of my problem and why I am struggling without my running group.

Whenever I felt that my pace was too fast, I was able to drop behind the first few runners of the group that were behind me but on my own I feel like if I slow down anymore I'll be on my hands and knees crawling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Run as though you can do so and hold a conversation at the same time, nice and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think that is a big part of my problem and why I am struggling without my running group.

Whenever I felt that my pace was too fast, I was able to drop behind the first few runners of the group that were behind me but on my own I feel like if I slow down anymore I'll be on my hands and knees crawling.

I'd say it's hard to adjust to running on your own when you're used to having a group to run with but it's worth getting used to it and hopefully in time you can embrace it, it's very freeing not to be restricted by the group's schedule.

If you're out of breath you're definitely running too fast. Try to shift your mindset on your next run - make it a goal to run your slowest run ever and praise yourself if you achieve it. If you feel you're running too fast shaking out your arms and shoulders and even your jaw a little can help you to relax and this can may bring the pace back.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the advice. Today I managed to complete the three runs (just about but I'll take it as a little victory as I didn't drop back to Week 4).

I took all advice on board and it really helped today, particularly when I found my pace getting away from me a few times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Congrats Shelly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Have started something like this, found it in the Irish Times archives, 8 weeks to run for 30 mins rather than a 5k target as such.

This week one run was 11 min, walk 4, run 11, walk 4,

Last week one was run 10, walk 5, run 10 etc...

I found with both runs, the initial 10/11 was fine, the walk then fine, but when I thrn started jogging again I was getting a lot of aches and niggles for the first minute or two... After that was fine again... It was like I'd cooled down too much (I was walking fast)... Nothing major but it feels wrong, wonder should I do a quick few dynamic stretches for even 30 seconds or something after the 10/11 (probably 12 next) jog??

It does sound like you cooled down too much .you could shorten the walk a bit to see if that made a difference.

The Muppet wrote: »
    It does sound like you cooled down too much .you could shorten the walk a bit to see if that made a difference.

Cool ill try that thanks, I've been sticking exactly to the instructions to date but will start making some changes

What week of the plan are you on and what level of fitness did you have at the outset? Keep the runs slow, a good guide is that you should be able to hold a conversation while running. The best of luck with it .let us know how your progress is going .

The Muppet wrote: »
    What week of the plan are you on and what level of fitness did you have at the outset? Keep the runs slow, a good guide is that you should be able to hold a conversation while running. The best of luck with it .let us know how your progress is going .

I'm on week 6 of 8.

Today was 40 mins in total, with 24 mins actually running, and I covered just over 7km. Every outing starts with a 5 min walk.... When can I drop these and start a slow jog straight from the get go??

Fitness at outset very poor, but historically (ancient history really) had good fitness but never ran before.... I was more of a rugby back physique than a jogger... I'm not quite a prop now but far, far from being in shape too. Realistically I'll never be a runner as I'm a big unit, even if I slim down.

Progress going OK, first week or two I had a lot of niggles and pains in hips, calfs, knees etc but I'm sticking with the programme, very gentle increase each week.

Ps, I'm definitely getting short on breath at times and conscious I'm going probably a bit faster than is comfortable for me (with the view then to recovering during the very frequent walking parts). That said, while I'm pushing myself, I'm nowhere near gasping /panting / vomiting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

When can I drop these and start a slow jog straight from the get go??

You can't/shouldn't. The purpose is to give you a gentle warm up.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I'd keep the warm ups too . 7k in 40 minutes with 24 mins running sounds like your runs are too fast imo.

• Advertisement

I would keep the warm ups too. Taking you declared level of fitness into account .,7 k in 40 mins with 24 minutes running sounds to me that you may be running too fast . For now you runs should really be slow at conversational pace . You may find this article of interest.

https://www-self-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.self.com/story/how-running-slow-helps-you-get-faster/amp?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQIKAGwASDAAQE%3D#aoh=15881993028310&amp_ct=1588199397816&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.self.com%2Fstory%2Fhow-running-slow-helps-you-get-faster

Advertisement