Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Band of Brothers hero "Dick Winters" RIP

• 10-01-2011 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

The man was an absolute legend. :(

May he rest in peace.
    He died yesterday aged 92.

Source news link
    Richard "Dick" Winters, a highly decorated World War II hero who became a household name when his heroics were chronicled in a Stephen Ambrose book that later became the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers," has died. He was 92.

After enlisting in the Army on August 25, 1941, the Pennsylvania native was deployed together with other soldiers in Easy Company -- the 506th regiment of he 101st Airborne Division -- to land by parachute in France on D-Day, June 6, 1944. By leading the takeover of a German artillery bunker on Utah beach, Winters and his company saved countless lives from relentless cannon fire -- an exercise that later earned him the Distinguished Service Cross, the second-highest honor an American solider can receive. Winters and Easy Company later fought near the town of Foy through the Battle of the Bulge, liberated the German concentration camp at Dachau, and occupied Hitler's mountainside retreat, Eagle's Nest.

In 1945, one of Winters' soldiers, Floyd Talbert, wrote a letter to Winters from his hospital bed to express appreciation for his leadership in battle.

"You are loved and will never be forgotten by any soldier that ever served under you," Talbert wrote. "I would follow you into hell."

Below is a brief video that opens with Winters talking about being a leader, and follows with some of the soldiers who were formerly under his command talking about his exploits:

Shaken by what he experienced in war, Winters reportedly vowed to live a simple life if he managed to survive, and that's just what he did. After returning home, he married his then-girlfriend, Ethel, bought a farm in Fredericksburg, Pa. and raised a family. He reportedly never talked about his war experiences until Ambrose came calling in the hopes of documenting Easy Company's role in winning the war. Winters said he honored Ambrose's request because he felt it important for future generations to learn about the war, its consequences and the sacrifices made by soldiers.

Winters was leading a quiet life of retirement on a farm in Hershey, Pennsylvania, when "Band of Brothers" turned him into a minor celebrity. People who knew him say that he never really became all that comfortable with life in the spotlight. He had fielded countless requests for interviews and personal appearances over the past decade or so, most of which he turned down.

Winters was, by all accounts, exceedingly modest. When someone would ask him if he considered himself a hero, he would usually respond by saying, "No. But I served in a company of heroes." Chroniclers of the World War II era, however, such as legendary NBC newsman Tom Brokaw -- who detailed the lives of Winters and others like him in his "Greatest Generation" series of books -- beg to differ.

"Dick Winters was the quintessential American infantry officer - brave, canny and modest," Brokaw told The Lookout. "His heroic leadership of The Band of Brothers is a one man course on how to become a warrior without losing your humanity."

- No offense intended, but I'd rather people didn't thank me for this post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

rip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :(

RIP winters...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Just re-watching band of brothers.

Must have been hell on earth,seeing what he did.

R.I.P

Loved the book and series. RIP Winters! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

:(:(:(

I'm waiting on one of his books at the mo from book depository.

RIP Major Winters

Wiki link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

In an age where 'hero' and 'legend' get thrown out at any moment (this isn't the beginning of a movie trailer voice-over), he was a proper, bona-fide hero. Very sad to hear this. I'm glad he got to live a long life of peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Sanjuro wrote: »
    In an age where 'hero' and 'legend' get thrown out at any moment (this isn't the beginning of a movie trailer voice-over), he was a proper, bona-fide hero. Very sad to hear this. I'm glad he got to live a long life of peace.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

A true hero.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 47 joemcg18

A great guy, gave excellent, insightful interviews for band of brothers.
    RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Terribly sad news - a true leader, modest and brave.

Rest in Peace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Read a biography of him only a few months ago. What a man. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

He seemed like a good sort from the show and what interviews I saw of him. Sorry to hear he has passed but he lived the life he wanted after the war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

RIP He was a real hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Jesus when I read the title I thought first that Damian Lewis (who played Winters in BOB) was dead!

RIP nonetheless. If he was half the man that show portrayed him to be, he is a big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The numbers of surviving veterans from the Second World War are thinning out. There is still a lot to learn from them. I think there are only 4/5 left from the Great War. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

His speech at the end of the last episode always make me tear up. What a story. RIP to a fine soldier and an even better man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What a legend, RIP.

Right, I'm off to start rewatching Band of Brothers again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Loved the series and that made me go get the book.

Rip Mr Winters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RIP. A great soldier. A great man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

A legend in a company of heroes.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

This man was a true inspiration to me. I have watched band of brothers 5 times over now and every time, Dick's leadership and special bond and influence he had over the rest of the men of easy company amazed me.
    He was a true leader and he had been through the worst of the war (Battle of the Bulge - Bastogne)

I am happy that he made it through the war and lived the next 65 years of his life in peace and harmony. He deserved it.

RIP, Major.

"My Grandson asked me once .. Granpa, were you a hero in the war?

I said .. no.

But I served in a company of heroes." - Major Dick Winters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Some man for one man, the greatest of the great generation.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

To take a look at this man, and then look at the shower of greedy bastards running this country, the majority of who wouldn't know sacrifice unless it was given to them in a brown envelope

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

A couple of posts snipped. Keep out the personal stuff lads.

RIP to the man. Very sad news.
    Must check out his book.
    http://www.audiobooksonline.com/media/Beyond_Band_of_Brothers_The_WWII_Memoirs_of_Major_Dick_Winters_unabridged_T.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

FatRat wrote: »

"My Grandson asked me once .. Granpa, were you a hero in the war?

I said .. no.

But I served in a company of heroes." - Major Dick Winters.

Exactly what I thought of when I saw the pic

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Rewatched it at Christmas and as usual tears of admiration welled up.

If there is ever a college course called "Mens Studies" Band of Brothers should be the first thing on the curriculum. Their incredible courage, self-sacrifice and humility are truly an example to all men and women of what it is to be a real man.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother.

Always sends a shiver down my spine. RIP Dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

He actually died on January 2nd

The world is now short one hero. RIP!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

RIP, this man was an actual true legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

Only know of him from the series. If even half the stuff he did was true, then he was a genuine hero.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

merge.

Advertisement