Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Genesis Aether 10 vs. Trek 1.2

• 10-01-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Right now I'm hoping to get a bike in the next few weeks thru the 'Cycle to Work' scheme which my employer is part of. I am aiming to get as close to the €1000 budget that the scheme allows for and still get a decent 'starter' road/racing bike.

I think I have narrowed the line up down the 2 bikes. The UK-made Genesis Aether 10 or the Trek 1.2. The Aether 10 costs about €830 and the Trek 1.2 is about €899.

The sales assistant in the shop with the Aether Bike believes that that particular bike model represents a better bike for less money, in terms of global currency exchange rates, had better wheels etc etc

Obviously, I'm not letting price alone dictate my purchase, but as I absolutely CANNOT find any online reviews or opinions regarding the Aether 10, I'd thought I'd ask here. If anybody has opinion, good or bad, about the Trek 1.2 I'd also be glad to here that as well.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Don't know anything about the aether, and it might make it difficult to sell on, because no one else will know what it is either.

On the other hand, at least if you do a sportive you won't be playing "which bike is mine again" with 100,000 other trek 1.2's ! :)

I presume you know that you can spend as much as you like on the bike and are not only restricted to 1000 euro. You only save tax on the first 1000, but you're perfectly allowed to put more of your own money with it. I say that because it's actually quite hard to buy a properly decent road bike for a grand (awaits barrage of indignant freds!). But if you bump your budget up to 1200 or 1300 euro even, you've got a heck of a lot more choice.

Just as an example. My sister in law bought this in a shop in Celbridge:
    http://www.ibikedb.net/bikes/24228-fuji-team

Got it for around 1200 quid iirc including upgraded kysrium wheels. Full carbon frame and a 105/ultegra mix. Which I thought was a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭galwayguy85

Thanks for that info. Was already aware that you get a bike costing more than a grand, but based on what you said I might consider pushing the boat out to €1200 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I've the Trek 1.2 (2010) and its a great bike, highly recommend it, especially for beginners. Note: some shops (like thebikeshop.ie) have last years Trek still for sale at ~€770 so....saving you a few quid for extras, and those extras can build up (suddenly!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There is probably much better value to be had than either of those.

e.g. Cube Attempt Road Bike 2010 From €816.48

More here.

This is a good time to pick up bargains but you need to know the size you're after, and move fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Genesis don't seem to be that well known outside of the UK, even bikeradar has only reviewed their bikes twice.

I would disagree that you're getting more bike for the money in the Genesis tbh. The 2011 bikes give you full 9-speed Sora on the Trek versus an 8-speed 2300/Sora mix on the Genesis.

The Genesis range appears to be more retro than the Trek range, which consistently tries to go for the "high-tech" look. This could be a plus or a minus depending on your sensibilities.

As Lumen says though, if you move quickly you'll get 2010 range bikes for knockdown prices, which is probably the best way to go if you're buying this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

one of the magazines had a review on the genesis (might have been cycling active) and it was seen as quirky and they didnt think it was particularly great value. (i think the trek 1.2 won the test)

i'd get the cube :D

Thanks for all the feedback. Really helpful. In my own mind, I think I will likely plum for the Trek or one of the model suggested by other posters here.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

+1 on getting your hands on a 2010 bike. A lot of the time the only difference between a new bike and last year's model is a paint scheme. A lot of shops now will be offloading the last of their 2010 stock at big discounts.

Just as a quick example: This Corratec from eurocycles. I know it's not in your budget, more of an illustration, you're getting a bike that was 2300 ish last year, for 1500 quid. BUT it's only available in limited sizes, so you need to be lucky, and on the ball. -Best of luck either way :)

http://www.eurocycles.ie/Road_Bikes/Road_Bikes_Under_€2000/Corratec_Corones_Ultegra/4049_p.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Lumen wrote: »

More here.

This is a good time to pick up bargains but you need to know the size you're after, and move fast.

+1 This time of year is bargin time, for 1000 you should be getting 105 on a decent frame and standard wheels. That cube looks good, have you looked at the boardmans? Picking up my new focus mares 105 in a few days, less than a grand (not including BTW's benifits),

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Lumen wrote: »

More here.

+1 This time of year is bargin time, for 1000 you should be getting 105 on a decent frame and standard wheels. That cube looks good, have you looked at the boardmans? Picking up my new focus mares 105 in a few days, less than a grand (not including BTW's benifits), so deals are too be had. If you plan on getting into cycling, you shoudl get 105 or tiagra at the very least as you want to uprgade in no time, at least thats what happened me: sora to ultegra,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

The Bicycle Buyer tested the Genesis Aether 10
    http://thebicyclebuyer.com/bikes/genesis-aether-10-2010-599.html
    They also tested the Trek 1.1 (same frame with lower specs and aluminium fork) in the same issue.

The Trek 1.2 is a great bike (100.000 can't be wrong ;)) just... upgrade the tires asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hh55

I've test ridden the Aether 10, very nice. The 2010 is £450 at Evans, and the 2011 (£650) is identical. I plan to buy the Aether 20 2010. The 2011 is a nicer colour but I can't pay £300 for that and marginally upgraded wheels. The 2010 20 does have 9 speed Tiagra sti and an external bb and compact double chainset (lighter than the triple on the trek I imagine).

A chum who works in the bike trade has the 20 (which has the same frame as the 10 - and the 30, which says good things about the frame I think) and is very pleased, so that's a recommendation. It's a triple butted frame, if that's important.

It doesn't have rack eyelets but that's easy to work around. The bike has the ability to use wider tyres should I wish - they do transform the ride. The Aethers come with 25mm tyres fitted but can mudguard at 28mm or run 32mm tyres w/o mudguard. That's quite an advantage if the roads are grim.

What else? Evans in the uk does the 2010 10 for £450, the 20 for £550. The 2011 10 is £650, the 20 is £800 or £850. I see the 2010 trek 1.2 is £600. Join quidco and get 3% off whichever you buy, too.

Someone mentioned a review saying it's not good value, the Genesis. I've scoured the internet and not found that one. There is a thorough review of the 10 at http://thebicyclebuyer.com/bikes/ton-fun.html
    and in the article they compare it with the trek 1.1, and like both. They do have the Genesis winning out but really, I'd not put too much weight on it. Journalists sit and type for an hour and we obsess over their choice of words when really, it's broad brush stroke stuff. They like them both.

I don't know much about the trek 1.2 but it's true that if (as happens) you buy one or the other, don't use it and want to sell in a year, the trek is a big name brand.

Good luck!

One thing - that shop person saying "better wheels" - For my money the Aether is spending the cash on the great triple butted frame and on the 20, the external bb chainset and tiagra sti. The wheels are 32 spokers, not particularly glamorous. Good enough to be on the aether 30 also but no reason to think them better than the bontis on the trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

hh55 wrote: »
    The 2010 20 does have 9 speed Tiagra sti and an external bb and compact double chainset (lighter than the triple on the trek I imagine).

It comes with a compact double chainset 50/34t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hh55

Right enough, the trek (£550 at evans) is a double. It's also available as a triple for £600. They're both marked as "ship to store only", if that's important.

Hh55, many thanks for the links you provided as well as your opinions. Also cheers to everybody else who contributed.

While the Trek 1.2 may be the more appealing of the two lookswise, and I'm certain it has plenty of other merits, I think I might give some more thought to the Aether 10. It seems to have the edge in terms of commutability.

Advertisement