Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink in the house?

• 10-01-2011 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Would a mink ever enter a house? Saw an animal in my hallway in the middle of the night but it escaped into an unused part of the house before I got a good look at it. Like a small cat, black/brown coat. Left out some cat food today while I was out but none taken. And there's no other way out of the house except the main doors so it must be still in there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Sounds like it could be a mink or a stoat.best chance of getting rid of him if hes still there is a working ferret or terrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

djflawless wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be a mink or a stoat.best chance of getting rid of him if hes still there is a working ferret or terrier

i wouldnt agree, I think a live trap is the best way to deal with this, at least then you will know if you have a mink (vermin) or a stoat (protected)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Never knew stoats were protected but you learn something new everyday.sound for the correction jap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Could it be a Pine Marten?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

just caught another glimpse of it. Possibly a pine marten but I'm not familiar with any of them so can't be sure. Better get a trap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

probably a cat

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭New_one

Or a rat!! Mink would be nicer:confused:

Definitely not a cat or a rat, have another witness. Will let you know when I catch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I dont think a pinemartin or stoat would come into a house so it probably
    is a mink.
    try and get a cage trap that will trap it without harming it just in case im wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Ah the famous Assoulous Marten Cat, harbinger of ill fortune according to Sommerville & Ross ;)

...apologies to anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, but I couldn't resist :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Uhm, quick idea if you can't immediately lay your hands on a live catch cage.

If you've got a tin of oily fish/cheap cat food, a half decent sized laundry basket (very important that it has flat sides on top so there's no gaps if it's turned upside down on the floor), a thin section of a sheet of ply or similar (big enough to cover the top of the basket), a length of string and a Y shaped stick or maybe even a wire coat hanger would do, you've the makings of a makeshift trap.

Place the ply sheet on the floor. Tie the string to the bottom of the Y and use the Y to prop up the basket on the ply. place the opened tin of fish underneath the basket and wait for whatever it is to come to dinner, then pull the Y out from under the basket, down it comes trapping whatever it is (hopefully lol).

Maybe have something like a phone book or similar on top of the basket in case it goes ape.

Mind your fingers.

Take photos :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Pine martins will come into the house. The local vet had one coming in the bathroom window. He got traps of the local ranger and caught it.

ayapatrick wrote: »
    Pine martins will come into the house. The local vet had one coming in the bathroom window. He got traps of the local ranger and caught it.

Yeah I'd not think it's a mink either, my vote would go for PM as well. Not sure if either bait would attract PM.

managed to get a cage trap, set it with a tin of tuna so fingers crossed. Thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

emer_b wrote: »
    managed to get a cage trap, set it with a tin of tuna so fingers crossed. Thanks for the help
    `
    Friend of mine caught a mink on his sailing boat on the shannon, he could not figure out where all the feathers were coming from and the smell of fish.
    He went down to the engine compartment and flushed out a mink.

I doubt it is a stoat, or a pine marten.
    However a photograph would remove all doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i think it sounds like a pine martin myself, you would hear plenty reports of them coming to back doors eating cat food etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

ayapatrick wrote: »

why didn't he close the window ?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

why didn't he close the window ?:confused::confused:
    I suppose it was doing no harm? i dont know tbh?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

I for one, am very excited to hear what you trap...
    Keep us posted and a photo would be really great too!

We'll have Paddy Power in soon with the odds :pac:

• Advertisement

Nothing caught lastnight unfortunately. Set the trap with a tin of tuna. I'll try again tonight and will get a picture if I can

Try some cheap cat food if you can, or some chicken if you have it :)

I sometimes leave some food out for the cats so he's probably got a taste for that now.
    So if I do catch something, what do I do with him? I'm in the countryside but don't want to release him near the house, or leave him in the trap for too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I sometimes leave some food out for the cats so he's probably got a taste for that now.
    So if I do catch something, what do I do with him? I'm in the countryside but don't want to release him near the house, or leave him in the trap for too long.

did you try leaving a window or door open? maybe he got in and then you closed the door so he cant get back out and i presume he doesnt have a good or water supply in the house so he'l have to try and leave soon to get some

Just checked the trap now. Still no joy but he left a **** beside it. Fecker. Going to set 2 cages tonight with catfood. I'm guessing both pine martens and minks are nocturnal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

nop both can be active during the day,
    Can you see any paw prints outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

homerhop wrote: »
    nop both can be active during the day,
    Can you see any paw prints outside?
    Good thinking batman....to the batmobile...lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

http://conserveireland.com/mammals/pine_marten.php

Tells you all about them here with pics of paw prints aswell.

Totally protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I've heard pine martens have a sweet tooth. You could put some golden syrup in the cage for extra effect. I'd say it's most likely a pine marten anywa.

• Advertisement

Pine Marten or Stoat, call your local wildlife ranger. Mink, call your local hunter/gun club for dispatch as they do a lot of damage in the wild.

Advertisement