Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink in the house?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

Try raw chicken (Leg/wing) covered in marmalade in your trap. Really interested to see what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

sikastag wrote: »
    Try raw chicken (Leg/wing) covered in marmalade in your trap. Really interested to see what it is!

give him double vodra and diet coke aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Set the 2 traps lastnight with raw chicken and peanut butter, nothing caught. He must have found a way in/out. Thanks for all the advice. Will keep you posted if anything shows up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

emer_b wrote: »
    Set the 2 traps lastnight with raw chicken and peanut butter, nothing caught. He must have found a way in/out. Thanks for all the advice. Will keep you posted if anything shows up again.

Pine Martens love peanut butter, but will also go for a tin of sardines in sunflower oil, which is a good allround bait to attract Pine Martens and Mink!

Just remember that if you catch a Mink, it's elegal to re-release it, so must be dispatched!

Is it possible to set a cage outside as well, or did you say that you've cats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Eddie B wrote: »
    Pine Martens love peanut butter, but will also go for a tin of sardines in sunflower oil, which is a good allround bait to attract Pine Martens and Mink!

Just remember that if you catch a Mink, it's elegal to re-release it, so must be dispatched!

Is it possible to set a cage outside as well, or did you say that you've cats?

Yes, have cats who I'm trying to keep away from the traps.
    Spoke to a ranger who says it is almost certainly a pine marten. Will leave the traps set for another few days but he may just have moved on now that the weather is milder.

• Advertisement

emer_b wrote: »
    Yes, have cats who I'm trying to keep away from the traps.
    Spoke to a ranger who says it is almost certainly a pine marten. Will leave the traps set for another few days but he may just have moved on now that the weather is milder.

I caught a Pine Marten a couple of day's ago in a Mink cage and he made absolute sh*t of it!
    Bent the door into a hoop, and i was close to losing fingers whilst trying to prise it open when releasing him!

marten002.jpg

Don't know if ye can make out the picture lads, but this lad wasn't far off making his own way out of the cage!
    He's the biggest Marten i've ever got in a cage, and he was a beut!
    As i said earlier, i had fun trying to get the door open when releasing him!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

pUlcI.jpg
    Caught one by mistake last year, extradited him to a wood a few miles away!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Qu1zmaster

Was there any follow up on this? I seem to have the same problem.

Qu1zmaster wrote: »
    In your attic i bet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

On the balance of probabilities, I would say that the OP's pine marten/mink is likely dead at this stage.

I thought we had mice or maybe rats. I put some flour around the kitchen floor. Got prints that don't match either one. No droppings. No tail line.
    It could be a pine marten. We live surrounded by fields of sheep, with ditches, gorse, hawthorn.

In your attic i bet?
    Something is living between the floors.

I thought we had mice or maybe rats. I put some flour around the kitchen floor. Got prints that don't match either one. No droppings. No tail line.
    It could be a pine marten. We live surrounded by fields of sheep, with ditches, gorse, hawthorn.

Any pictures of prints? Id guess rats if under floor but prints would give a great clue.

Any pictures of prints? Id guess rats if under floor but prints would give a great clue.
    I don't seem to be able to post pictures. Maybe because I'm a new member.

I don't seem to be able to post pictures. Maybe because I'm a new member.

Pm sent. Is food been eaten? Much of a mess? Any damage done?

Pm sent. Is food been eaten? Much of a mess? Any damage done?
    Thanks.
    No mess really. Packets of bread and cereal chewed through and eaten.

Thanks.
    No mess really. Packets of bread and cereal chewed through and eaten.

Just looked at the prints you sent me, and im amazed thinking it would of been a rat. I believe they are prints of a stoat. There's a small chance of it being a small female mink, but stoat would be my first guess.

Just looked at the prints you sent me, and im amazed thinking it would of been a rat. I believe they are prints of a stoat. There's a small chance of it being a small female mink, but stoat would be my first guess.
    Thanks again for your help. But in my kitchen?
    Could it actually live in the house?
    Something lives between the floors.

Thanks again for your help. But in my kitchen?
    Could it actually live in the house?
    Something lives between the floors.

It must be getting in from outside. A few live traps set inside and out should reveal the culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Where in the country are you? Maybe someone on here could help with live traps of they were close to you...

idnkph wrote: »
    Where in the country are you? Maybe someone on here could help with live traps of they were close to you...
    I'm in Donegal. I have a few contacts, thanks.

I got some video footage last night!
    It's very grainy and might not be conclusive.
    It's loading up to YouTube right now. I'll post the link as soon as it's up.
    About 90 minutes to go.

https://youtu.be/tF3_bFM9Ls0
    Those tiles are 32cm²
    I'm hoping to get better footage tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ju_Ju

That's a nice looking rat you've got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Rattatooey.you need to kill it with a trap asap and keep setting the trap for a few weeks to see is there more.peanut butter on ham in a trap will draw him in.
    You need to make sure there’s no hole outside for more to get in.he might have got in a door or window but make sure there’s no holes.esp around pipes etc.
    Get him quick.they spread disease and do awful damage chewing on pipes and wires

Don’t use poison in the house cos he will smell out the place.no harm put some in rodent boxes outside to snig his mates but make sure no dogs cats birds can get it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Probably easier to just burn the house down!!

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    Probably easier to just burn the house down!!

I hate rats and they are fierce plenty this year. I killed one last week with a shovel.stunned him with the first whack and he was wobbling like a drunk on pumpkin legs.pancaked him with the second lash.no mercy op.and when you get him pull out the dishwasher and clear out his nest and make sure he hasn’t damaged anything back there

Advertisement