Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALL lan threads merged here

• 10-12-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

So, who would like to see a sc2 lan in dublin?
    I'm thinking the end of january or february, give it time to mature, that is of course some venue has machines with sc2 installed.

I'm thinking only people with a sc2 account may enter, sounds obvious but i'm sure they'll be people showing up on the day expecting to play on someone elses account.

I'm willing to put some money into funding the event, but i'm a student, so no promises on big sums.

Prizes will either be sh*tty, or if people pay an entry fee of 10 euro or something, there will be a cash prize. I'm gonna hit up the gaming centres this weekend if the ice completely thaws, don't wanna crash me bike :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Also, is anyone interested in helping me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

I could lend a hand, sure.

But I reckon don't do big prizes. And don't throw your own money into it. As you say you're a student and things are tightening up round these parts rapidly.

I'm sure players would pay the appropriate fees to cover the costs of hiring a place and maybe a small prize like personalised dog tags or a personalised hoodie. Something that will only cost around €30, but is of symbolic importance to salute the current champion. Maybe the "trophy" can be passed on from winner to winner. Kind of like the yellow jersey in tour de france.

EDIT: Also what about a BYOPC event in somebodies house/garage if anybody has the space and are up for it? People could just throw €2each for the electricity for the day. Obviously they'd need a very nice internet connection though :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Ye I'll be there definetly. I can help you out if you want aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Dante

I'd definitely attend, would also lend a hand if needs be. Just don't go near that shíthole 5 Star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Be very interested in attending

• Advertisement

ok, i'll try get more organised in a bit, but first things first, ima get quite drunk this evening :)

Also, i think this is a 3 person job, i'll handle the booking of a venue and prizes.

I'll need someone to organise and co-ordinate the tournament itself.

And someone to help pull in the numbers, with promotion (post on other forums)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

I'd definitely head to a lan. Would help out if you wanted a hand with anything too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

im 100% game for it.

also interested in helping out.

on the matter of byopc, It could easily be done. Currently have 7mb eircom, 30mb chorus x 2 in my parents gaff.
    have a LOT of room for setup etc.

however, its in tipperary :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I would go aswell depending on how many days etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭The_Keeper

I'd be tempted to come back to Dublin for this if the size was right!

Would love a day and/or half day SC2 tournament!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Sounds good and I'd be up for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Chicks

I WANNA GO!

Was a bit hungover there today, and my internet cut out :(

I just sent 5 star an email with a bunch of questions, might head into them tomorrow or monday if they don't respond.
    I think it'd be best to not do a byopc event as that's just too complicated for a first time, just easier to use a place that already has machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I'd go to a LAN if its not byopc. Generally I need about 4 weeks notice to get back to Dublin

Woden wrote: »
    I'd go to a LAN if its not byopc. Generally I need about 4 weeks notice to get back to Dublin

ive got 3 machines that run sc2 perfectly on ultra settings. so i could facilitate 2 people and myself.

no charge, would only need a hand carrying them from the car and setting them up etc.

Damn, got an automated email back from 5 star saying their mail system is down or something, i'll head into them tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭F69Baal

sounds good!

i ll try to come too. And i can help with admining (brackets etc) if needed

I submitted a request for a license to host an official tourney from blizzard.
    We will need to make a few things formal about the lan.

Under 18's need to get a form signed by parents/guardians so they can participate.

There must not be any entry fee for the tournament.

We need to write up a list of 'rules' and stick to them.

Some details.
    1. Grant of Tournament License.

With regards to your request to host a tournament on the Battle.net® service that features Blizzard’s StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty™ software (the “Game”), Blizzard Entertainment, Inc., a Delaware corporation (“Blizzard”), hereby grants, to you the a non-exclusive, royalty free, non-transferable, license and right to use and display the Game for an online tournament subject to Your adherence to the following terms and conditions:

* (a) The Tournament must be free to enter;

* (b) You may not charge any fees of any kind to watch the Tournament;

* (c) You may not accept advertising revenue of any kind in association with your hosting of the Tournament, nor can you accept funds or prizing from sponsors of the Tournament in excess of $5,000.00 USD in the aggregate for all Tournament sponsors;

* (c) The Tournament must be limited to 500 players or less;

* (d) You shall not alter or modify any part of the Game for any reason;

* (e) You may hold the Tournament in any country other than the Republic of Korea;

* and (f) it must be a requirement for your tournament that all entrants in the Tournament must be adults in their country of residence, or minors over the age of 13 with written permission from their parents to participate in the Tournament.

You understand and agree that You will responsible for all aspects of the Tournament, including without limitation:

* (a) drafting of all rules, policies, and procedures which will govern the Tournament (the “Rules”);

* (b) ensuring that all entrants are fully informed of the Rules;

* (c) awarding all prizes to the winners of the Tournament;

* (d) securing the receipt all applicable government approvals, licenses and permits necessary to organize the Tournament and exercise any and all of the rights granted to You by Blizzard hereunder;

* and (e) avoiding any deceptive, misleading or unethical trade practices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wow, thats pretty strict.

So how do any of these tournaments make prize pools if those rules are enforced, or are they just for you individually ?

Either or, I'd say if your going to be out of pocket for it, definitly charge a fee for entrants.

At the end of the day, people are going to have to pay for the service of 5star, so make sure your not put out of pocket for it.

haha koreans get shafted? :p

• Advertisement

Those rules are for tournaments smaller than 5,000 people.

I can charge a fee for entering the venue, but not for the tournament itself. That's a possible way around it, or we could just have an unofficial prize pool. There's ways around it anyway, just gonna try get them to send us some support or posters, that'd be pretty sweet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Xios wrote: »
    Those rules are for tournaments smaller than 5,000 people.

I can charge a fee for entering the venue, but not for the tournament itself. That's a possible way around it, or we could just have an unofficial prize pool. There's ways around it anyway, just gonna try get them to send us some support or posters, that'd be pretty sweet :)

Im sure we can just donate you money and you can choose to do with it what you want ;)

DrMorphine wrote: »
    Im sure we can just donate you money and you can choose to do with it what you want ;)

lol yeah, i can choose to leg it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Blinn

I'd be down to play in this if it comes to fruition. Wanna see where I stand against the Irish boys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Been suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper busy, so haven't been on in a while. So what's going down here? :P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

haha koreans get shafted? :p

I think I read recently that the RoK now has their own SCII organisation......so tourneys are probably organised under their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

So when/where is this taking place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'd be vaguely interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

id be interested in helping. anybody meeting up to discuss ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Would be interested, hoping my laptop can still deal with sc2 (was playing it on lowest settings at a LAN over the summer, but it still got a bit choppy with too many units on screen - problematic for a zerg player). I am utterly woeful at 1v1 though.

I am utterly woeful at 1v1 though.

I would like to be drawn against this chap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'll only compete if there's some sort of prize for "most queens".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I'll only compete if there's some sort of prize for "most queens".

Queens can be good play. I think DiMaga uses lots of queens early on to allow him to macro up.......

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

Wow. More than interested in something like this.

Stupid weather :( can't go into town to book the venue :(

• Advertisement

So was in the 5 star cafe today. In broken english i found out that he has 18 machines with (or that can run) starcraft II,
    But i don't think i'll be able to organise much for this tourney beyond this, gotta sort out a lotta life stuff. Girlfriend stuff, exams, jobs and moving out. Lotta hassle.

So anyone wanna take it from here?

The guy in 5 star says that the place on liffey street is an extension of their cafe.
    They don't normally open for 24 hours, but if you book in advance, they will keep the place open for a lan party.
    He asked me to get him the number of players and the date that we want the venue, and then he'll quote me a deposit price, which wouldn't be too much i think, prob a tenner each i'm guessing.

Xios wrote: »
    So was in the 5 star cafe today. In broken english i found out that he has 18 machines with (or that can run) starcraft II,
    But i don't think i'll be able to organise much for this tourney beyond this, gotta sort out a lotta life stuff. Girlfriend stuff, exams, jobs and moving out. Lotta hassle.

So anyone wanna take it from here?

The guy in 5 star says that the place on liffey street is an extension of their cafe.
    They don't normally open for 24 hours, but if you book in advance, they will keep the place open for a lan party.
    He asked me to get him the number of players and the date that we want the venue, and then he'll quote me a deposit price, which wouldn't be too much i think, prob a tenner each i'm guessing.

pm sent dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Bhoy_

I'd love to go, as long as it's on after my last exam (20th of January) and there's no skill requirement. I'm pretty useless.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Am major poop but would probably tend pending date and time.

Hey guys, don't let this thread die! Nooooeeesssss!!!
    The venue is there, just need someone to decide a date and book it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'd be up for this if free. I'm not very good at SC2 though so I would hope for a kind format so that everyone gets a few games - long and expensive way from Limerick!

🤪

when ever we set a date, ill be travelling from clonmel, tipperary, so i could bring 1 or 2 people to save on bus costs etc.

I assume Artosis and Tasteless will be over to cast this fine event...?
    ill be travelling from clonmel, tipperary,

My conmmiserations. :(

Yip, we got Day9 too. It'll be like Blizzcon all over again.

Chicks wrote: »
    Yip, we got Day9 too. It'll be like Blizzcon all over again.

Holy ****! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Orizio wrote: »
    Holy ****! :eek:

If that was the case if would probably be all "And now he is throwing down..wait...wait...oh, oh no"

And

"I'm not a fan of that strategy"

I love Day9 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

i would pay 50 euro to go to one if decent pc's were supplied, cos my antec 1200 weight a tonne
    and i have a friend who would do the same

Hi guys, organising this LAN, so lets get some input from everyone on it.

I was thinking of Friday 28th of janurary.

Please answer the questions below.

1> all nighter or day time hours?

2> do you want other games involved?

3> how long do you want to be there for?

4> How will you be travelling?

5> Where are you travelling from?

6> any extra thoughts?

The answers will help us organise it for everyone to be able to attend.

All nighter

If others do then ill play some css. but prefer sc2 only.

10 hours +

driving

tipperary

6> any extra thoughts?
    we should order pizza :p

All nighter!! Probably wouldn't go if it were a daytime thing tbh, I don't really like the idea of having to sort a hostel, or trying to get home late in the evening. Wouldn't mind if I had a spin, but I doubt I can get a spin.

It's times like this I wish I'd learned how to drive :)

I'm only interested in SC2, but if there are other games to be played I'll play them, badly :)

At least 10 hours

Bus or train I guess, whichever's cheaper and most convenient.

Bandon, West Cork

6> any extra thoughts?
    I second the pizza idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement