Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to look out for when purchasing a 2nd Megane from a used car dealer

• 10-01-2011 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭

So I'm thinking about buying a 2008 Renault Megane from a used car dealer, seems to be a very good price, I'll be going on my own so any ideas (in addition to the ones I've listed below) re what I should look out for when examining the car and also for when I take it for a test drive?

HPI check (any recommendations?)
    Was it involved in a crash (how would I go about finding this out?)
    Check tyres
    Put it on the lift and have a look underneath
    Check all electrics
    Check seatbelts, mirrors, fuel cap, spare wheel and tools
    Ask about previous owner and type of miles
    Warranty
    Is there much chance of a good discount for cash or is it safer to pay by cheque or card (does paying by credit card give much extra protection if it turns out to be a lemon?)
    Last service and has anything had to have been changed

Many thanks for looking

Comments

funnyname wrote: »
    Put it on the lift and have a look underneath

What are you going to look for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Things to look out for when purchasing a Megane?

better alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

RoverJames wrote: »
    What are you going to look for ?

Anything obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

andyseadog wrote: »
    better alternatives.

Please try the chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

PM me the reg and I'll run a history check for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You are planning to spend a fair bit of money, and it sounds from your query that you are really not qualified to inspect the car to a satisfactory extent.

My advice would be to have it inspected and tested by an independent mechanic who you know and trust (or who has been recommended to you by someone whose opinion you trust).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

A ford focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

STForSale wrote: »
    A ford focus.

esel wrote: »
    and it sounds from your query that you are really not qualified to inspect the car to a satisfactory extent.

Sure he's going to get it on a ramp and look for anything obvious :pac:

Advertisement