Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cassette question...

• 10-01-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a Dura-ace 7700 9 speed cassette and I'm wondering if I can use it with an Ultegra 6700 groupset which is a 10 speed groupset. Will they work together or will I need to get a 10 speed cassette?

Cheers
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Hi Mike,

No the 9 speed cassette is not compatible with 10 speed shifters, you'll need to find a 10 speed cassette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

They won't match together because you'll have one too many clicks on your shifter. The amount of cable pull/release with each shift at the handlebars will not move the rear derailleur the correct distance to correspond to the spacing of the cogs on the cassette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

Thanks guy's.

Would it be a solution to add a sprocket to the cassette? Or would I have issues also with the spacers?

Cheers
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Won't work, the spacing is completely different. The only solution is a 10 speed cassette.

Thanks.
    One final question regarding cassettes...

If get a Dura-ace 10 speed cassette, will it work with an Ultegra 10 speed derailer?

Cheers
    Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html I think this means it can be done, although I've not had cause to try it myself. Give it a go if you've got the time on your hands, won't do any harm but you might want to check your shifting while the bikes still on the work stand rather than on the road.
    If you ad another sprocket to a 9 speed cassette then it will be too wide to fit on your hub, so you're better off getting a 10 speed cassette rather than doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

yeah should do.

Thanks for all the advise guy's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

lalorm wrote: »
    Thanks.
    One final question regarding cassettes...

If get a Dura-ace 10 speed cassette, will it work with an Ultegra 10 speed derailer?

Cheers
    Mike

Yes all Shimano and sram 10 speed cassettes will work with your ultegra, deraileur so if money is an issue go for a 105 cassette or cheaper sram cassette, if there is one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html I think this means it can be done, although I've not had cause to try it myself. Give it a go if you've got the time on your hands, won't do any harm but you might want to check your shifting while the bikes still on the work stand rather than on the road.

I did this for a time with a 9sp shifter and an 8sp cassette. Worked well enough for a few hundred km until I replaced the worn out 8sp cassette with a 9sp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement