Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price for Car Work Query

• 10-01-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hey guys

I got some work done on my car and was wondering about the price?

If I was to list the work here I was wondering if someone could give me ideas of what the prices should be to see what kind of a deal I got:

Car:
    2002 Audi A4 1.9 TDI Sport

Parts:
    Wheel Bearing
    2 Arms and Sockets
    Tracking x 2
    Put on the Computer for tests

3 Days Labour (to do all the work and also to have a looking at engine mount and injectors)

Any ideas on what this should all cost?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭BrianD3

3 days labour?! Did you mean to type 3 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Wheel Bearing
    2 Arms and Sockets
    Tracking x 2
    3 days labour

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

bob2oo7 wrote: »

Car:
    2002 Audi A4 1.9 TDI Sport

Parts:
    Wheel Bearing
    2 Arms and Sockets
    Tracking x 2

3 Days Labour (to do all the work and also to have a looking at engine mount and injectors)

Any ideas on what this should all cost?

Thanks in advance

3 days labour is excessive for this, any good mechanic would do all of the above in 1 day and would be working at a very leisurely pace in doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Parts:
    Wheel Bearing -- Front or rear?
    2 Arms and Sockets -- Describe 'arms and sockets'? They aren't the proper name for any car part, tie rods and rod ends maybe?
    Tracking x 2 -- Why would the tracking have been done twice?
    Put on the Computer for tests -- A standard diagnostic check would be between €30 and €50, if you have an issue that required further diagnostic checks then it depends on what was needed..

3 Days Labour (to do all the work and also to have a looking at engine mount and injectors) -- This is a mistake, there would be no reason for any of the above to take more the a half day.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

I'm not really worried about the price of parts, happy enough now these are ok

How much would one charge for 3 days labour?

There was some more work done that I forgot to mention, so I'm happy 3 days was legimitate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

There was some more work done that I forgot to mention, so I'm happy 3 days was legimitate

was it an independent garage or main dealer? what part of the country?

3 days is still daylight robbery for the above work, when if you add on a few more random jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are they building you a new car? 3 days?
    How much is your car worth? You might want to consider this if thinking of paying for 3 days labour if at a main dealer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mickdw wrote: »
    Are they building you a new car? 3 days?
    How much is your car worth? You might want to consider this if thinking of paying for 3 days labour if at a main dealer.

From the posts it appears the OP has already paid!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hourly rates can be anywhere from about €70 to €170. Multiply this by say 8 hours and then by three days. Thats a lotta money for a little steering work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Name and shame! Unless the description in the OP is way off, and there was a sh!tload more work done that hasn't been mentioned.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If there is to be naming and shaming then a copy of the invoice would be required to ensure that its a legit claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

3 full days labour would be the time scale for rebuilding an engine..so unless they did that then 3 days is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

3 days .........
    if they charged you three full days ( 24 hours) labour.... for that amount of work......
    i can say without given you prices .. you where ripped off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The only thing I can think of is the OP is getting his/her wires crossed and the car was in the garage for 3 days. Suppose he was waiting for parts etc and done some work and then left it....????. If I am wrong well then.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is the OP is getting his/her wires crossed and the car was in the garage for 3 days. Suppose he was waiting for parts etc and done some work and then left it....????. If I am wrong well then.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thats the only thing that makes sense. I hope you are right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

kbannon wrote: »
    If there is to be naming and shaming then a copy of the invoice would be required to ensure that its a legit claim.
    Sorry about that! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement