Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is dry cleaning so expensive?

Options
  • 10-01-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

I've cut down dramatically on dry cleaning in the last year or two but today I picked up 2 items - a skirt suit and ordinary dress and the bill was 29.99euro. What goes to make up this cost? Is it wages or process or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Seems like you paid the going rate:

http://crispcleaners.com/shopping_cart.php

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Thanks for that - I'm not wondering if it is the market rate cos I know it is. What I am wondering is why it is so expensive? Anyone out there know what the costs of the business are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Some dry cleaners do early bird specials whereby if you drop your stuff in before 11am on a weekday you get it done for half price...

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

thanks again. But I'm not looking for info on how to reduce the cost to me.........I'm trying to get some info on why dry cleaning is so expensive?

The overheads seem to be very low, the expertise is small and the interaction between client and stff is small.

So why so expensive??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Because people will pay it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I have some inside knowledge of the business, I can tell you that it's no way to get rich, even at those prices. There are lots of costs involved leaving a fairly tight margin.

However, these days they should be reducing prices to improve volumes, as with many businesses, they haven't quite copped that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Also factor in the likelihood that most items sent in for dry cleaning are more expensive and more fragile than regular suds n' water washes and therefore the risk and cost of damages is greater (despite disclaimers). Also dry cleaning uses solvents and produces sludge which is classed as hazardous waste. I suspect, for environmental reasons, this can't just be flushed down the drain but must be disposed of properly.

Some jobs may require spot treatments which would be more labour-intensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Seems expensive all the same. The one I go to in Castleknock would only cost €20 for what you got done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Seems it a combination of the chemicals & the machine.

Someone I know has a dry cleaners and asked for ideas to increase business, I suggested he does an offer to dryclean 2 suits for €19.99. He said this would be below cost due to costs of chemicals.

A decent machine is the price of a small car too and uses a fair whack of power too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

To fit out a dry cleaners these days can cost anything from €60k - €100k depending on the type of machinery used. A good sized dry cleaning machine can cost €40k+ alone :eek:. Add, rent, rates, wages, PRSI, EPA charges, waste charges, Water charges, loan repayments, motoring exp, insurance, gas/oil, criminal ESB, phone, hangers, plastics, chemicles + + +. How do I know? I'm a dry cleaner :D. And by the way the €29.99 you paid includes 13.5% VAT. Anybody want to buy one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get home dry cleaning products, could be handy if it is only a small stain or something.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3ADryel%2Ci%3Ahpc&keywords=Dryel&ie=UTF8&qid=1295027990

http://www.dryel.com/

Advertisement