Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Gear

• 10-01-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I got my provisional last year before the new licencing regulations came in and am looking to get my full licence before my provisional expires. I don't own a bike at present and have no plans to buy one as I need my car and it is not financially viable for me to run both.

I am looking into getting some lessons somewhere and it has dawned on me that I will need some gear first. I had a moped years back but sold most of the gear I had, including helmet, with the bike. Any suggestions on where I can pick up some gear cheaply?

Any suggestions for places to get lessons would also be appreciated. I had a look at Leinster Driving Campus & it is €60 for a 1hr lesson with the bike. Is that a reasonable price?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Take a spin up to Cotters in Ballymount, they'll look after ya.

http://cottermc.com

• Registered Users Posts: 25 GoodGuinness

You can give MSA a shout at http://www.msa-ireland.com/, they'll supply bike and gear for your training. Jonathan really knows his stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Are there any good websites I could look at for gear?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

dceire wrote: »
    Are there any good websites I could look at for gear?

http://topgearsuperstore.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

You could check out donedeal for 2nd hand jackets, trousers & boots - might find a bargain on some good stuff. (no, I'm not selling anything!)

I'd always go with new for a helmet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Any idea when and how often Aldi & Lidl tend to stock their bike gear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

They tend to get the stock in about Feb/March.

The quality of the jackets & trousers that Lidl sold last year wasn't as good as in previous years, in my opinion. Bought my first cordura jacket in Lidl and it served me well for a couple of years till I got another from Cotters (I sold the Lidl jacket, it was still in decent nick). The jackets they had in stock last year felt flimsier, with lots of loose threads, and not a very nice overall appearance.

I bought the Lidl cordura trousers about 4 years ago, and I'm still using them! Again, last year's stock didn't seem to be as well made.

You could have a look on biker.ie, there's some gear for sale there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

dceire wrote: »
    Any suggestions for places to get lessons would also be appreciated. I had a look at Leinster Driving Campus & it is €60 for a 1hr lesson with the bike. Is that a reasonable price?

I did a refresher course at Leinster Driving Campus last year and the instructor provided a lid, jacket and gloves for the lesson along with the bike. They may have a few different instructors - the guy I had was Tony Moore of ABC training - highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Always found Cotters in Ballymount great for getting bike gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement