Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photoshoot ideas in limited space

• 10-01-2011 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Right, so I've been asked on short notice to take a shoot with a band in Dublin City Centre tomorrow night. I'm still awaiting the finer details, but they seem want it done in an apartment. They're a really, really lively band and the general stand there look here idea wouldn't really sum them up in a picture.

Now, while my ideas for my band series so far involve people hanging one-armed from goalposts, stuffed in a phonebox filled with balloons, etc. I'm drawing a blank finding inspiration in a cramped flat. Doesn't seem to be much there to play with. Am i wrong?

Weather permitting I can get them outside and hope for the best with ambient light/flash combos, but if it's a stinker, what can I do in a flat that isn't just four lads looking into a camera.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

149822_1331946678349_1821498918_651168_5755251_n.jpg

Friend of mine did this with a band. Looks great.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bit of a cliche - get them standing around a camera with a wide lens placed on the floor pointing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

get them on the stairwell inside the apartment block, shoot from above ....
    or......

in the corridor of apartment block ... get them to stand in a straight line and make themselves gradually visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

bit of a cliche - get them standing around a camera with a wide lens placed on the floor pointing up?

That was one of two ideas I'd had. They're pretty trendy looking guys, so I might get away with it...

I like the top image here too - the tv one. Kinda outside the box.

Was thinking of getting them smashing up cds mid air. They smash relatively easy, so if they toss them up and hit them with a hanger or something it could be cool if timed correctly.

But Im liking the help on here tonight!

Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Scamp-

Put them in the bath ala The Mamas and the papas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Scamp- wrote: »
    Put them in the bath ala The Mamas and the papas.

That was my first thought too, or all in a row on the couch, kinda like the simpsons, or in the kitchen... pack em in a tiny area and you should get something interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

First thought I had was get them all stuffing their faces with more food than they can handle! Pizza, chips, cheese, crisps, popcorn, the works! Make a right mess! One strobe should do the trick, get them all in close, making a mess, maybe around something corny like a lava lamp and ancient tv.

Just another play on other suggestions here. Get dirty! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Sitting around the kitchen drinking mugs of tea and each something reading different.
    The types of reading material give you scope to put in whatever influences the band want to portray. A broadsheet to indicate highbrow, a tabloid for the common denominator, a novel - anything from Proust to Douglas Adams, an academic textbook, a copy of HotPress or NME, a biography of a musical giant they like, a copy of Guitar for Dummies, the Beano...

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Went fairly standard in the end to be honest:
    5351182403_695fde0b2c_z.jpg

Had a rough time with equipment, so I just went simple. Think it worked okay. Hopefully it's not "too kooky"

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

Not bad at all, but .... ya know.... Mr half face only has half his face in the shot :( also Id crop to centre them. just a little bit more....I realise you wanted to centre the front guy but it feels a little unbalanced to me... hope Im not being over critical.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the guy at the back is mega stoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the guy at the back is mega stoned.

and dare I say it ... looks like David Platt in Corry !!

Yeah, I thought that about half a face guy. Will change it soon - have another one where he's grand, but the guy at the front isn't as animated. Might be a fair bit of PP - But could pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

You could try angling the shot 45 degrees for effect too? Perhaps a bit cheesy but it looks like your going for a light hearted type of shot.

Advertisement